My african butterfly fish wont eat!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Kyle 2048, Jul 27, 2015.

1. K

Kyle 2048 Valued Member Member

2. Theman1

Theman1 Valued Member Member

I have no experience with African butterfly fish but My Blood Parrot went on a food strike when I first got her. She didnt eat for a good 2 weeks. I would give it a couple more days and see what happens. Sometime when fish are in a new tank they are stressed out until they start feeling comfortable.

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Mine loves freeze dried krill. I'd try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Mine won't eat any freeze-dried food or pellets. However, he loves frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and crickets (he'll occasionally eat flakes). I have to hand feed him though. They only eat things floating on the surface (once it falls, even a cm, they won't eat it), so I use soft tweezers and dangle the worms and shrimp on the surface. He'll gobble them from the tweezers.

5. OP
    OP
    K

I just fed it dries brine shimp. He loves it! But the only thing is i nought 2 dozen crickets and don't know what to do with them I'll try another time and see what happens. It's really weird because most african butterfly fish eat bugs and crickets but mine wont.

Kyle

6. TexasDomer

I buy the small crickets. The medium crickets are too big for even my full grown ABF. I usually just drop them on the surface, and watch him hunt!

7. OP
    OP
    K

I bought the small ones too but he wont eat it where did u buy yours TexasDomer

Kyle

8. TexasDomer

The fish or the crickets? I took a chance and bought him from Petco - he has bloomed into a personable big guy! Doing very well. I also buy the small crickets from Petco as Petsmart's small crickets are too large.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice