Question My Adfs Try To Kill Each Other At Feeding Time, Is This Normal?

CMB

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,047
Reaction score
721
Experience
1 year
I have 4 African Dwarf Frogs in a 10 gallon tank with a betta. The betta is super nice and has never attacked anything in the tank, but as time goes on, the frogs are getting to be absolute jerks. They've been in the tank a bit over a month now, and it all started a few days ago. Now that they understand where food is and come out within a few minutes of me dropping food in to scavenge the bottom, they have also started to bicker with each other every day at food time. They will pile on top of each other and start biting each other's feet to see if they're edible. Then today, one of them latched on to the other one's belly and wouldn't let go for a solid 30 seconds or so while they both scrambled and kicked at each other. He eventually let go, but they seem to be getting more aggressive with time. Is this sort of behavior normal from these guys, or is there something wrong with them?
 

Tol

Well Known
Member
Messages
520
Reaction score
336
Experience
2 years
I have 5 of them and they fight any time food is involved but I have yet to see any actual injuries.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
CMB

CMB

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,047
Reaction score
721
Experience
1 year
Tol said:
I have 5 of them and they fight any time food is involved but I have yet to see any actual injuries.
Thanks, that's good to know. I've seen them fight, but no one seemed hurt, I was just worried things might escalate from here. My betta is actually afraid of them, he avoids feeding from any food left on the bottom because a frog bit him once.
 

Tol

Well Known
Member
Messages
520
Reaction score
336
Experience
2 years
CMB said:
Thanks, that's good to know. I've seen them fight, but no one seemed hurt, I was just worried things might escalate from here. My betta is actually afraid of them, he avoids feeding from any food left on the bottom because a frog bit him once.
Yeah, it used to be just 2 of them doing it, but they all pretty much get in on the action. They are kind of nuts really. I just let them sort it out since they leave most of my fish alone mostly and nothing I have seems afraid of them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
CMB

CMB

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,047
Reaction score
721
Experience
1 year
Kjeldsen said:
Totally normal.
Hey, that's almost exactly what mine look like at feeding time! Thanks for posting this, I guess it means they're behaving pretty normally for ADFs. My betta is terrified of them when feeding.
 

Tol

Well Known
Member
Messages
520
Reaction score
336
Experience
2 years
CMB said:
Hey, that's almost exactly what mine look like at feeding time! Thanks for posting this, I guess it means they're behaving pretty normally for ADFs. My betta is terrified of them when feeding.
lol, mine too! It is like fight night and all my fish spectate and steal some food that the frogs are too busy to be eating. Pretty entertaining when you get a big pile up and they are all start going nuts.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
261
Guests online
3,943
Total visitors
4,204

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom