My 6 Bettas

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
;D I want to introduce my 6th Betta, Boston, and reintroduce my other 5. I know I have a lot of bettas, but I love them all. They each have 5 gallons of tank area. Barney and Belle are in one divided 10 gallon, BenjI and BambI are in a second divided 10 gallon, BindI is in a community 10 gallon tank with 2 platys, 1 catfish, 2 ottos and a number of platy fry, that I was not expecting. Then there is Boston, my latest addition. He had finrot when I bought him and I am treating it with Jungle Fungus Eliminator. I just put Boston in his 5 gallon tank. He didn't like the transfer from his temporary home and gave me the evil eye while I was acclimating him. The third picture of Boston is while he was exploring his new home.

CherryRose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great to meet all your Bettas - we're experiencing Betta envy with just 3. Best of luck with Boston on getting his fin rot cleared up fast.

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
They're adorable!    It's impossible to stop at just one isn't it?  I started with one and didn't plan on getting more but I also now have 6 Bettas with 5 gallons of space for each.  I so wish I could have more but I just don't have the space or the time for maintainence.  I was at Petsmart first thing this morning to shop for goodies for the fish and I saw all the sad little Bettas in cups. It was heart wrenching. They had one really pretty blue crowntail in a large tank with about a dozen tetras of some kind. He had a few nibbles out of his tail, no doubt courtesy of the tetras, and he wasn't about to eaten anymore. He made it VERY clear that the tetras were to stay away from him. He swam around the tank like he owned the place and any time a tetra came near him he just stopped and gave it a dirty look. He didn't even need to flare. They cleared the path wherever he went and schooled together nervously keeping an eye on him and staying out of his way.    He was just SOOO darling! He reminded me so much of my Phlox the way he swam with his tail fluttering behind him. He rushed right over to my finger and greeted me. Bettas don't much like other fish but they really seem to love human contact. I'm worried he will come down with a bad case of finrot and die needlessly because he needs meds for his chewed fins. I have an extra 4 gallon quarantine tank. I may end up giving in and saving him yet...

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks, FLBettaCouple.  I knew Boston had finrot when I bought him.  You would think that I would be tired of treating fin rot by now, but I just couldn't resist saving one more betta.  The pictures I took aren't very good.  I am hoping to get a digital camera next month, for my anniversary.  Then I will retake pictures of my 6 babies and post them.  When I first got Boston, he was a creamy, mellow yellow.  As you can hopefully see he has a little more color now and I am sure it will continue changing for a while.

I hear you Phloxface. I don't have the time or space for any more either. I have discovered that it is not as easy as I thought to take care of so many bettas and spoil them as they deserve to be spoiled.  It's so hard to go into a pet store and not save one of the poor little imprisoned bettas. It's Betta Love.  What can I say?  :
CherryRose  

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Phloxface - Yea, I know what you mean.. we want to bring a new Betta home every time we go in one of those stores. we're going to get a new rescue tank setup when we can afford to and get back to rescuing Bettas, then finding them a good home.. it will save Bettas from dying needlessly in the store when we get them to pull through and help us with our bad case of the Betta Bug & MTS (and infect someone else. ) Maybe you could do that with that little blue?

cherryrose - We understand how you felt when you saw Boston.. we've had a time of it with treating finrot, but when we see bettas with it at the stores, we just want to take them home to treat them so they can have a chance at a good home.

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know just what everyone is talking about!! I have to force myself to not look at the bettas. I want to keep them all. It is too bad that they fight to the death because a tank full would be beautiful. But if they didn't have all of that attitude then we wouldn't love them half as much. It is the attitude that catches our attention and keeps a fin on our hearts!

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful family you've got there, CherryRose. They're all lovely.

Just today, when I was getting a couple of plants, and the air supplies, I was checking out the bettas (I ended up going to petco and petsmart today..) Petsmart had two absolutely GORGEOUS all white male veil tails today that I just wanted to take home right away. They were really feisty and didn't seem like they'd been there long. And while I was at Petco, I found a stunning Crowntail male, who was marbled with white, lilac, blue, and a darker purple. His fins were lovely, and he had doubled rays. He, too, was lively and feisty. So, if I had the money, space, and time today I totally would have expanded my family to 5! Haha

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
~Sparkling Diamonds~ said:
Absolutely beautiful family you've got there, CherryRose. They're all lovely.

Just today, when I was getting a couple of plants, and the air supplies, I was checking out the bettas (I ended up going to petco and petsmart today..) Petsmart had two absolutely GORGEOUS all white male veil tails today that I just wanted to take home right away. They were really feisty and didn't seem like they'd been there long. And while I was at Petco, I found a stunning Crowntail male, who was marbled with white, lilac, blue, and a darker purple. His fins were lovely, and he had doubled rays. He, too, was lively and feisty. So, if I had the money, space, and time today I totally would have expanded my family to 5! Haha
I don't think I could've resisted the temptation! LOL. I would've had to have gotten 3 new tanks! (husband would've killed me)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
I don't think I could've resisted the temptation! LOL. I would've had to have gotten 3 new tanks! (husband would've killed me)
I don't think I could either, not the white VTs. White Bettas are my biggest weakness of all the Bettas. Of course, we'd have to skip little things like eating if I spent all that now, with all the other fish supplies we already need.

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
Genie said:
I don't think I could've resisted the temptation!  LOL.  I would've had to have gotten 3 new tanks!  (husband would've killed me)
I don't think I could either, not the white VTs.  White Bettas are my biggest weakness of all the Bettas.  Of course, we'd have to skip little things like eating if I spent all that now, with all the other fish supplies we already need.
Yeah-- my little Spike is my pride-n-joy! It is hard to pass up the white ones.

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Congratulations CherryRose!! I am so happy for you. It's so rewarding to rescue one that has something wrong especially when it's something that's not so bad and you can cure it and bring him back to health. Natalie

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I would like to have an all white betta too. In the pictures I have seen they are absolutely stunning.

I have six bettas now, but my LFS has a betta that had finrot when he arrived. She is treating him with fungul eliminator in a small little cup. He is an absolutely gorgeous red. If he is still alive Tuesday, (the next day that she will be open for business), I may just have to bring him home with me and treat him in my nice warm Q tank. Sigh, I guess I am just a sucker for sick bettas. I would want to give him back to the LFS when he was healed but I don't think I would be able to part with him once I cured him. Maybe I would be able to find him a good home. What a dilemma! :-\

CherryRose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
cherryrose said:
Thanks everyone. I would like to have an all white betta too. In the pictures I have seen they are absolutely stunning.

I have six bettas now, but my LFS has a betta that had finrot when he arrived. She is treating him with fungul eliminator in a small little cup. He is an absolutely gorgeous red. If he is still alive Tuesday, (the next day that she will be open for business), I may just have to bring him home with me and treat him in my nice warm Q tank. Sigh, I guess I am just a sucker for sick bettas. I would want to give him back to the LFS when he was healed but I don't think I would be able to part with him once I cured him. Maybe I would be able to find him a good home. What a dilemma! :-\

CherryRose
Yea, that is going to be a hard part of rescuing bettas when we get the new rescue tank setup.. the ones we lose will be hard, but I think we'll feel the same dilemma as you after getting one back to health. I'd go with finding him a new home and enjoying his company for a time.. then you'd have an empty tank so..

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought I was over the moon with 5 (well 4 right now) but here you are with SIX!!! Congratulations on the beautiful crew. They are all such lovely bettas and you are such a loving betta mommy. I spoke to Javier at MiamI Aquariums tonight about my new little one and he said that the white bettas are the hardest to get and the quickest to sell. He had 3 that all went to one person this last couple of weeks.

Rose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
chickadee said:
I thought I was over the moon with 5 (well 4 right now) but here you are with SIX!!! Congratulations on the beautiful crew. They are all such lovely bettas and you are such a loving betta mommy. I spoke to Javier at MiamI Aquariums tonight about my new little one and he said that the white bettas are the hardest to get and the quickest to sell. He had 3 that all went to one person this last couple of weeks.
Rose
Rose - LOL. I think if we had the room right now, we'd have a dozen - they're such great pets & I don't mind the work at all for their company.. but we can stop anytime we want.. yea, anytime. we don't have a problem.. I can imagine the whites are like that, but they sound like such great people that when we can get "Cloud", we'll wait on them to get him because I want to order from them.

Phloxface - did you go back for that blue?

cherryrose - so when are you ordering your white? how long can you hold out against the Betta Bug? Did you go back for the betta with finrot?

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
I saw him still there yesterday. He looked healthy and his finrot hasn't gotten worse, probably because he is in clean, warm water. He is still the boss of the tank and only has to look at the Tetras and they get out of the way. If he is still there on friday I may get him. I only have the 4 gallon tank for him but it should be good. At least he wouldn't end up in an awful bowl or vase. We'll see... I have NO idea were I would put the tank...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LOL.. that blue would put you at 7 bettas.. we're lagging behind with only 3. Glad to hear the blue is looking healthy.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is now official.....I am starting a 12 step self help group for those of us who cannot help themselves and name it "Bettas Anonymous" The first step is:

We have a problem passing by bettas and not buying them and taking them home and we can admit that this is interfering with our homelife.

LOL

Rose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
chickadee said:
It is now official.....I am starting a 12 step self help group for those of us who cannot help themselves and name it "Bettas Anonymous" The first step is:
We have a problem passing by bettas and not buying them and taking them home and we can admit that this is interfering with our homelife.
LOL
Rose
Homelife.. that's when we go home with a new Betta and take care of our Bettas, right?

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
:'( I am not feeling like such a great betta parent right now. I forgot to put the lid down on my little Bindi's tank and now she is gone. I can't even find the body. Since the lid is in the front of the tank, I think she landed on the floor in front of the tank. My Pekineese/Chuahuahua dog, Chewbacca probably ate her. I will keep looking for her body, but don't really expect to find it.

CherryRose :'(

New Threads