My 5m old son Loves his New ORANDA

adamzieger

Valued Member
Reaction score
me and the gf went to the pet store and our son loved the gold fish and i had a extra 10 gal tank kickin around. so we got him a Small Red Cap ORANDA Its cool its body is very gold but his head is red cap no white on him.
anyway, We got Blue rocks that Make him/her look pretty. and we got a Bubble wall going on he loves it he swims in it. and a hand full of multy color sparkly Rocks they are much larger then the grave about 1/2 to 3/4 per rock.

i know the ORANDA gets pretty big but the gf is going to buy this pirate tank set up thats larger then this 10 gallon. anywho do you think that His Small oranda needs a friend?
what "SMall goldfish or anything can i put in the tank with this little dude" i think the pirate set up tank is like 20 gallon-22 gal somthing. anywho is there any fish or crab anything that can go with him. any breeds of goldfish taht dont get big? The fish store has Millions of Comet Feeder gold fish do they grow larger?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We usually recommend 20 gallons for the first goldfish and an additional 10 gallons for each goldfish you add. One of teh main reasons for thsi is that goldfish are huge waste producers and it's almost impossible to keep ammonia and Nitrates down in anything smaller. I would advise leaving the Oranda as the sole occupant of the tank even when it goes into the 20 gallon.
Yes children love watching fish swim around. start him out early and teach him right
Carol

adamzieger

Valued Member
Reaction score
i know all about goldfish, and with water changes i had 3 2 inch Long tailed goldfish in a 15gal tank and they lived it up fine and happy. but i was looking for a tank mate outher then a goldfish, i know they make big waste and are cold water but any none fish or none goldfish that can go with him?

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
adamzieger said:
i know all about goldfish, and with water changes i had 3  2 inch Long tailed goldfish in a 15gal tank and they lived it up fine and happy. but i was looking for a tank mate outher then a goldfish, i know they make big waste and are cold water but any none fish or none goldfish that can go with him?
How long did the goldfishes live? They can live up tp 40 years. Having 3 goldfishes in a 15 gallon aquarium is overcrowding it. They probably got stunted and got a shorter life. I wouldn't add another tankmate with your oranda besides other goldfish and you don't have room for that. Other coldwater fishes are the redwhite minnow and the mosquito fish but they're small and are only suitable when your goldfishes are young. Comets can grow to 12 inches while the fancier varieties (orandas, fantails, lionheads, ranchus, and bubble-eye) grow to 10 inches.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my opinion your tank is full now and I can't recommend adding more fish.
Carol

adamzieger

Valued Member
Reaction score
i added one of my White s omthing minnow, they are like super small with my goldfish and they seem to be livin it up with eachouther fine.ill let ya know how he does

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You're really ignoring everyone's posts....

adamzieger

Valued Member
Reaction score
whos to say whats right? my Minnow is one of the most hardy fish you can find and is about the size of my gold fish analfin he been in there a few days and they are both doing fine. I even have a Minnow in a tank with my Oscar and Red devil, all three keep to them selfs

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
adamzieger said:
whos to say whats right? my Minnow is one of the most hardy fish you can find and is about the size of my gold fish analfin he been in there a few days and they are both doing fine. I even have a Minnow in a tank with my Oscar and Red devil, all three keep to them selfs
Well, the goldfish probably won't eat the minnow but your tank is already kind of full with just the oranda. What is the tank size of the oscar and red devil? I'm afraid the oscar will eat the minnow when it reaches its full size (13 inches).

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stradius011 all we can do is give the best advice we can and then its up to the tank owner to decide what they want to do with that tank.
Carol

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Butterfly said:
Stradius011  all we can do is give the best advice we can and then its up to the tank owner to decide what they want to do with that tank.
Carol
Ok.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom