1 female venustus (rescued)
    2 kribs (mated pair)
    2 yellow labs. M/f
    2 kenyi m/f
    1 Johanni gender unknown (rescued)
    1 red jewel (rescued)
    3 giant danio (dither)
    1 common Pleco (adopted)

My venustus (Stella) is the largest & sweetest fish I have!! I rescued her & have fallen in love with her!! She greets me every time I walk near the tank. She does not bother any other fish. My kribs are my pride and joy. They become territorial while breeding, although no fish has been harmed. I have many caves and live plants for hiding and to break up the line of sight. Everyone had their own home/homes. ☺️. My yellow labs are also sweet & peaceful. One is still a juvie so no breeding. The Johanni was going to be flushed by a neighbor so I took him in. He seems to be pretty territorial but does not attack other fish. Red jewel was also saved from flushing. He is a strange fish, he is in love with my female yellow lab!! Yes I know it sounds crazy but it's true!! Poor Nemo (yellow female lab) she can't figure out why her eggs won't hatch. The danios were purchased for dither fish for my kribs. My Pleco came from a friend who only had a 10 gal. I intend on upgrading my 55 to a 125 within a year so I took him in. I love all of my fish & intend on keeping them all, as they all have their own space in the tank & are peacefully living. If a problem should arise among the fish I will upgrade sooner and separate accordingly. I was hoping I could increase some of my numbers. Maybe more kenyis?

2. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

You might end up with an aggression issue in the future. How big are these African cichlids you have?

And it's great to see that you love them so much and rescued a few. They seem very happy :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Kribensislover Member Member

My venustus is 6 inches, female yellow lab 4", male yellow lab 2", red jewel 4", krib pair 3-4", kenyis 2-3", Johanni 2", Pleco 3", giant danios 1.5-3"

4. Kribensislover Member Member

Kribs are 2-3"^^^

5. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Ok yes you can put some kenyis in there. For some reason I thought you had a smaller number. But yea more would be ok :)

I have a female venustus also, she was born with a crooked jaw and had torn fins all over.. she was an inch, now she's almost 4 inches and a sweet heart also :)

6. Kribensislover Member Member

Aww!!! They really seem to be very relaxed considering size. Stella (my venustus) is two years old. I just picked up another female kenyi. My lfs only had one female so I will plan to add a final female in teo weeks so I will have a 3f/m ratio. I have read all over that it's best for them. Do you agree? Or should I stick with 2f/1m which I will have as soon as the new female comes out of quarantine.

7. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yes they do :)

Yes 3 females to 1 male is best imo. It's way better for the females.

8. Kribensislover Member Member

Thanks for the advice

9. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Kribs should not be in a tank of Malawi Cichlids.
    Malawi mbuna should be in a specific tank.
    With the stocking you have at the moment, your tank will be heading for a great big disaster.
    It is commendable to rescue fish, but please research them before taking on the responsibility of them.
    As for the "sweet" Nimbochromis Venustus, be prepared to have it rescued from you, as they grow to around 10" .

10. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Neither should Jewels. They are both from soft water. Also the danios will be very stressed. Dither fish usually work for the cichlids, but not for the dither fish themselves.

11. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

+1 Hampalong
    Missed the jewel cichlids on OP

12. Kribensislover Member Member

I think I'm going to re home the Johanni & the red jewel. As far as my venustus, I plan on upgrading to a 125 so she will be fine . The kribs will remain behind in the 55 with the giant danios.

13. Kribensislover Member Member

I have a coworker with a mbuna tank who wants the Johanni. As far as the red jewel, I'll have to keep looking. From what I understand they should be in a species only tank.

14. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Great ideas ;)