My 55 gallon tiger barb tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by TSgtSparky, Jul 25, 2015.

1. TSgtSparky

TSgtSparky New Member Member

New to the forum. I used to have mubuna in this tank, but while I was deployed my wife and kids slowly killed off my cichlids. So I went back to barbs because that's what I used to have and my kids can take care of them easier. I wanted to get your info on if you guys think I need to add anything to it.

Stocked with: 15 tiny tiger barbs, 4 clown loaches, 3 Mickey Mouse platys, and a cat fish (only fish left from my Mbundus).

The tank has a ton of filtration as well. Any info is appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

The only thing I would change are the clown loaches. They need to be i a group of 6+ and require a minimum tank size of 100 gallons (I think) but with an adult size of 12" they do not belong in a 55.

Do you know what kind of catfsh?

3. OP
    OP
    TSgtSparky

They are really small for now and I know they get big eventually... I'm using them as an excuse to my wife to upgrade to a larger tank... She doesn't know how big they get.... The cat fish is a sidontas(?). Don't know if that's how it's spelled.... I added a picture of him. He's in the cave upside down swimming around. Hard to see.

The clowns school with the tiger barbs for now. It's very cool when the whole school tacks a trip from one side of the tank to the other. I love it!

The only new species I plan on introducing eventually is either a small school of Otos or some kind of Pleco. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

The clown loaches grow painfully slow. You can have them for quite awhile before they will need to be re-homed. Hopefully your wife will go for the bigger tanks eventually. But if not, then I would try to sell them and make a little $$. Large clowns aren't cheap. But if no one will pay for them , someone or a LFS will surely take them off your hands. Keeping 4 is fine. They are social fish, so you shouldn't keep just one. But 4 is fine.

Otos or a fancy pleco would work. Bristle nose plecos are common and easy to get. But there is a huge variety of fancies that stay small enough to keep in your tank. You may need to order online and pay for shipping though.

And you have a synodontis catfish. Not sure what kind it is though. There is a big variety of them.

By the way, Welcome Home!!! Thanks for your service!

5. OP
    OP
    TSgtSparky

Thanks BDpups. I'm slowly greasing the wheels on a bigger tank. Ideally I want another tank in my man cave. Baby steps though. I have an LFS that usually sells a lot of different kinds, I guess I'm more worried about the poop from a Pleco. Are the dwarfs messy like there bigger cousins?

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

They are all pretty messy for the most part. But the ones that are less algae eaters than others will make less of a mess. Bristle nose are excellent algae eaters, so more waste.

Check out here.  
    They have a search feature that you can enter the size, water conditions, etc of fish, and will give you a list of what there is for your specifications.

7. OP
    OP
    TSgtSparky

Very cool! Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice