My 55 Gallon Stock

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Iluvfishies, Apr 21, 2018.

1. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Hello there, in my 55 gallon aquarium I currently have 2 jewel cichlids, 1 Oscar, 1 green terror, and 1 (what I think to be clown pleco). I had a question about my pleco mainly. I’ve had him for a few days, I see him now and again hiding underneath a large piece of mopani wood I have in my aquarium, but he never seems to come out. And to answer ahead of time, I’ve never seen him picked on in any shape or form. Could there be a reason for this? My Oscar is probably 3 inches, the jewel cichlids are like 2, and the green terror is around the same size of the Oscar maybe slightly smaller. They all seem to get along well. The most I’ve seen is the Oscar chase the jewel cichlid for a second then he gives up. Do I have an okay stock? Given I will upgrade to a larger tank later down the road.

In the tank I have a large piece of mopani wood, and a fake tree decoration which I plan on switching out with dragon stone when it gets here in the mail. I have a 406 fluval running with a 300 watt heater keeping it at 79 constantly. Pictures are below of them! :)

Any thoughts? THANKYOU!

Attached Files:

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

It is normal for plecos to hide. Drop some veggies into the tank near him, you should see him come out to eat.

No, your stocking will not be okay long term. The oscar needs a bigger tank, and the GT and the jewels need to be separated (also separated from the oscar unless the tank is huge).

3. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

So the Oscar, green terror, and pleco would be alright together? Just the jewel cichlids need to be moved? I plan on getting a 75- 100 gallon in the next few months.

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

No, the oscar needs a bigger tank than a 55 gal. The GT might be okay in a 55 gal by itself, especially if it's a female. If it's a big male, it'll need a bigger tank too. You could keep the jewels alone in the 55 gal.

Wait to stock the bigger tank until you get it. The oscar or GT would work in the 75-100 gallon alone (so not together).

I would not keep any of these species together in any of the tank sizes you have listed. You'll more than likely end up with dead fish if you keep them together long term.

The clown may or may not be bullied or killed by these fish as they get older. I wouldn't risk it.

5. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Okay, so in current status, what do you recommend I do? Take some fish back or ?

6. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Take fish back. I would personally wait until you get the larger tank to keep the larger fish, but if you're positive you'll be able to get the 75-100 gal in 1-3 months, then you could keep either the oscar or the GT (rehome the other, rehome the jewel, and I'd rehome the clown pleco). Many people say that even a 75 gal gets too small for an oscar, so a GT may be the better option.

The pair of jewels can live in the 55 gal alone (so rehome the GT and the oscar), but if they're a M/F pair, they'll reproduce like rabbits. Do you have somewhere you can take the fry?

7. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Okay, so I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve made a mistake in how I’ve stocked my 55 gallon aquarium, I guess it’s just because I always dreamt of having these fish. Mainly an Oscar. The green terror I like for the fact of the looks when they get older. My question is this:

Could I keep the Oscar by himself in the 55? Or anything AT ALL. With him? I’ve just grown attached to the fish and I’m torn as to what to do.

This is my new plan (if it sounds okay) I would like to keep the Oscar alone in the 55 gallon, take the jewel cichlids back and the GT back to the pet shop. And keep the clown pleco in my 29 gallon tank with friendly fish (neon tetras, Cory cats, etc)
    So basically like this

55 Gallon tank:
    Oscar

29 gallon tank (once cycled):
    Clown pleco
    Tetras (? On amount)
    Cory cat (? On amount)
    Possibly something else?

Please tell me that’s a good game plan???

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2018
  8. puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

i would say a minimum for an Oscar is a 75g...

9. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

No to the oscar in the 55 gal. No to tank mates with the oscar. A 75 gal bare minimum for an oscar, though larger (like a 125 gal) is really better. If you can't provide this, he should be rehomed so he can be in the proper tank size.

No to the oscar in the 55 gal, see above. But the clown pleco would be great with temperature compatible fish in the 29 gal. You could do something like this:

1x Clown pleco
    15x Neon tetras
    10x Cories (one temperature compatible species - albino cories are popular)
    2-5x Honey gourami
    75 F is a good temp for both the neons and the clown pleco.

10. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Would all of these be okay with a little bit higher ph? I keep it constant.

11. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Yes, they should all be fine in a higher pH, as long as it's not above 8.6 or so.

12. IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Oh no I keep it around 8

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice