My 50gal.Aquarium Build.

1. Steve McKay Member Member

I had a 30gal.reef going for six months and decided to upgrade my tank.Here
    are some photos of my old 30gal.

Attached Files:

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Sweet! Can't wait to see pics of your 50 in this thread. :)

3. Steve McKay Member Member

I chose a 50gal.for it's dimensions,it is wider and with a 5"DSB it would give
    me a 13"water depth nice and shallow.Here are photos of the new Aqueon 50gal.tank,foundation,sand,half filled and filled with circulation pumps and heater.

Attached Files:

4. Steve McKay Member Member

My equipment for the thirty was a Penguin 150 & 200 filter,Prizm skimmer and
    Coralife 96 watt pc.I decided to upgrade the equipment too.I ended up getting
    a Eshopps 200 Reef Sump,it's 25gal.The Alpha 170 cone skimmer and the Tek 6x39 T5 HO lighting fixture.For lamps I chose Giesemann,four aquablue+ and two actinic+.Here are photos of the tank with the new equipment.

Attached Files:

5. Steve McKay Member Member

Of course the sump too.

Attached Files:

6. Steve McKay Member Member

I was testing quite often to make sure I didn't run into a cycling problem and never did.The Prizm skimmer has been removed and put away.People underestimate the Prizm skimmer,I found it worked great on a lightly stocked 30gal.I'm almost over my diatoms,most of it on the sand is gone but it lingers on the rocks and circulation pumps.I chose k2s from advice given to me and the cost,upgrading my tank cost a good penny.I've kept a running text file on the money I have spent since I have gotten back into the hobby and started the 30gal.Today I'm at 6,258,fish aren't cheap but I wouldn't change a thing. Right now I have three fish a Blue Damsel(female),Six Line Wrasse and a Yellow Watchman Goby and plan not to add anymore.Here they are.

Attached Files:

7. Steve McKay Member Member

I also have a Coco Worm.

Attached Files:

8. Steve McKay Member Member

At the present time I have only one coral,I've had it for 5 months.It's a non photosynthetic LPS,that I feed every other day.After it was acclimated it was down to 6 polyps,it has grown considerably and has many buds all over.Here it is my Sun Coral.

Attached Files:

9. Steve McKay Member Member

And a few more showing growth,eating and as they are now.

Attached Files:

10. Steve McKay Member Member

I bought myself a Christmas present it will be here Tuesday,when I saw it I couldn't resist.Here are in store photos of the Acanthastrea, Echinata.

Attached Files:

11. Steve McKay Member Member

I'm waiting for a water top off device,it's hard to believe how much more water you lose with no canopy.My calcium has dropped to 380 from the usual 400-420,the added light has increased coralline algae growth on the old and new rock and is using more calcium.I have ordered some additives to take care of that.A friend of mine has recommended some food for corals that's supposed to be pretty good it's called Reef Chili.

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Steve your tank is just looking "beautiful". Thanks for keeping us updated!
    Ken

13. lorabell Well Known Member Member

Looks AWESOME!!!!!!!

14. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks great!

15. Steve McKay Member Member

Thanks all of you and have Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!:;shat

16. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Skillz, you haz dem.

17. Steve McKay Member Member

I received my Acan today and it turns out it's not a Acanthastrea,Echinata they had it mislabeled,it's a Acanthastrea,Lordhowensis.I do like it very much.Here's some photos of it the first three are during the day and the last two are at night using the flash,with it's feeding tentacles out.:;shat

Attached Files:

18. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Oh cool! lol What a neat creature! Thanks again for sharing. I love your updates.
    Ken

19. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I love acans. Yours looks very happy!

20. Steve McKay Member Member

Thanks.I like Acans too,they are my favorite LPS,I'll get a couple more in time probably a green one and a blue one.