Help My 5 new danios are dying 3 days in

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also I don't know if this is a problem but I need to get a new filter cartridge soon
If it's only two months in you shouldn't need a new one, just rinse the old one in the tank water you remove during a water change- hey presto! Good as new. :). Have you been changing them? Could be that your cycle never got the chance to take hold... it's your filter where you are wanting to grow your bacteria.

bnt19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If it's only two months in you shouldn't need a new one, just rinse the old one in the tank water you remove during a water change- hey presto! Good as new. :). Have you been changing them? Could be that your cycle never got the chance to take hold... it's your filter where you are wanting to grow your bacteria.
So i just rinse my filter cartridge in my tank water and its good as new? Also again im trying to save money so I don't have to buy a new one?

Also for my 55 Gallon should i create a new thread for stocking. I had an idea of what I wanted

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So i just rinse my filter cartridge in my tank water and its good as new? Also again im trying to save money so I don't have to buy a new one?
Only carbon needs changing. All sponges can be rinsed for ages and be better than new because they still have the good bacteria you need.
What do you have in your cartridge?

Any bio media can also just be rinsed in old tank water to get the gunk off but keep the good bacteria.

bnt19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Only carbon needs changing. All sponges can be rinsed for ages and be better than new because they still have the good bacteria you need.
What do you have in your cartridge?

Any bio media can also just be rinsed in old tank water to get the gunk off but keep the good bacteria.
well i got an aqueon tank kit so the filter cartridge is one thing, ill attach a picture of what it looks like.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, looking it up, says that the cartridges have chemical, biological and mechanical filtration. The chemical is usually activated carbon, the biological is usually some sort of ceramic to give the good bacteria to grow and mechanical is a sponge or floss that literally cleans particles out of the water as it flows through.

Most people do away with the carbon these days until removing meds from the tank- it's not necessary and costs money to keep replacing. The ceramic and the sponge are the important bits. How many cartridges are there in yoUr filter at once?I

Add: yours have all three types of filtration in one filter pad but do you have more than one of these pads in at a time?

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's quite late here in england (or early, depending on how you look at it). So what I was getting at is that if you have more than on pad in your filter at a time- don't change them all at once or you start your cycle all over again. Try to stagger when you change them so that you hold on to some good bacteria. If you have been changing them before now, you may have started a new cycle and that may be adding to your fish stress.

I really hope the rest of your danios make it. Have a great night! :)

bnt19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There are alot of water parameters that a fish needs adjusting to. you have to add water to bag to acclimate them properly. I use floating method that LiveAquaria put up Here.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/article/157/?aid=157
Ok thank you I have had goldfish for many years but now I am starting to get into the more deep stuff so im kind of new to this. That guide really helped.

Ok, looking it up, says that the cartridges have chemical, biological and mechanical filtration. The chemical is usually activated carbon, the biological is usually some sort of ceramic to give the good bacteria to grow and mechanical is a sponge or floss that literally cleans particles out of the water as it flows through.

Most people do away with the carbon these days until removing meds from the tank- it's not necessary and costs money to keep replacing. The ceramic and the sponge are the important bits. How many cartridges are there in yoUr filter at once?I

Add: yours have all three types of filtration in one filter pad but do you have more than one of these pads in at a time?
My filter only holds 1 pad at a time as its only a 30 gallon filter

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SO do i just rinse it in my tank water and its good?
Should I also rinse the sponge on the output?
Yeah, when you do a water change, use the removed tank water in the bucket, give it a good rince. I'm not quite sure what your filter's like but there shouldn't be any harm in doing it.

bnt19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, when you do a water change, use the removed tank water in the bucket, give it a good rince. I'm not quite sure what your filter's like but there shouldn't be any harm in doing it.
Ok sounds good so as of today 4 of my danios are dead and I have 1 left. Since they all died I found my Sunset thicklip in the corner and looked very beat almost about to die. Do danios get aggressive because I thought it was the danio so I moved that to my 55 gallon for now.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok sounds good so as of today 4 of my danios are dead and I have 1 left. Since they all died I found my Sunset thicklip in the corner and looked very beat almost about to die. Do danios get aggressive because I thought it was the danio so I moved that to my 55 gallon for now.
I think they can be nippy, usually fish like that don't nip as much when they are in a shoal of their own kind so it's possible he harassed the Gourami.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Morning! :). If you can just remove the carbon and use whats left you can rinse and reuse whats left indefinitely. Save you so much money - and save your fish.

Are you certain your new danios had no disease?

bnt19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Morning! :). If you can just remove the carbon and use whats left you can rinse and reuse whats left indefinitely. Save you so much money - and save your fish.

Are you certain your new danios had no disease?
Well I didnt see ich or anything like that

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There are so many things new fish can bring that are not obvious. Would you know what velvet looked like on a new fish? Or parasites, either internal or external...If you haven't gotten used to what a fish looks or acts like like normally, you wouldn't know what was NOT normal. That's why we quarantine. Most of the time, because there are very few vets who know about fish, it is down to the keeper to diagnose- based on new behaviour. It's a lot of 'informed' guesswork. I've seen so many people afraid to help diagnose disease on these forums because the diagnosis needs to be based on observations, which we are not observing first hand. If you've kept your other fish fish for so long, you are more than probably not doing anything wrong. But you added fish without quarantine and loads died. So now you need to do a check list of what could have caused it, and pay attention to the fish you 'know'. If they start acting differently, you can use those symptoms to make an 'informed' diagnosis (a guess based on fact) of what the issue is.

bnt19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There are so many things new fish can bring that are not obvious. Would you know what velvet looked like on a new fish? Or parasites, either internal or external...If you haven't gotten used to what a fish looks or acts like like normally, you wouldn't know what was NOT normal. That's why we quarantine. Most of the time, because there are very few vets who know about fish, it is down to the keeper to diagnose- based on new behaviour. It's a lot of 'informed' guesswork. I've seen so many people afraid to help diagnose disease on these forums because the diagnosis needs to be based on observations, which we are not observing first hand. If you've kept your other fish fish for so long, you are more than probably not doing anything wrong. But you added fish without quarantine and loads died. So now you need to do a check list of what could have caused it, and pay attention to the fish you 'know'. If they start acting differently, you can use those symptoms to make an 'informed' diagnosis (a guess based on fact) of what the issue is.
I am quite new to skilled fish and I haven't seen any other diseases than ich before but I know they didnt have parasites i looked closely at the dead

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom