My 5 Gallon Aquarium Opinions And Plant Ideas

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by EricSteph, Apr 12, 2017.

1. E

EricSteph New Member Member

Recently set up this 5 gallon aquarium would like some feedback on it. I am looking to add some plants keep in mind that it's a very small tank and I don't want it to look crowded. Looking for plants that are easy and will not need co2 or special lighting.
    Thank-you
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Java and Anubis.

3. OP
    OP
    E

[​IMG]

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Very nice. It will look great.

5. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

6. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

I can attest that Java fern, anubias and moss do well in a low light, no CO2 tank. I just set up a 5g and a 10g in March so very new at planted tanks -- plus I have a brown thumb, lol -- and mine are doing very well. I also do very well with anacharis (or elodea) and water wisteria (water sprite), but if you don't want it looking crowded those might grow a bit too fast for your liking.

If you don't want it looking crowded, I've seen a lot of beautiful tanks that keep the driftwood and plants to one side, very lush, but keep an open spot on the other side. They are very neat and elegant but still look open. Just a thought.

7. OP
    OP
    E

Thank you for the advice with the wood on one side and the plants on the other I think that may look really good.

8. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

Not a plant suggestion, but I think it would look nice if you added a few natural/natural looking pebbles in with the sand. Maybe half a dozen or so? I think it would help break up all the barren looking space, and it would give you something to weight your plants down with!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice