My 38 Gallon Diary

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The top lip looks just deformed..turned up a little?and I think it's always been a bit like that. She's kind of ugly in the face area lol.

I don't have a clear antibiotic, but I have Kanaplex, Fungas Guard. I am about to run out of Betta revive, so was trying to decide my next move. I also have AQ salt...but that might just not do the trick on this point. Oh, and General Cure, but again, I don't know if that's applicable

What I have been thinking so far is this:
The blue died and was eaten...which fitted her personality, and my original concerns about her
She's always been more agressive-could the lump be an injury from the fight with the blue becoming infected?
The lump on her lip showed up the day after the blue was eaten, but I wasnt sure...became more evident each day after. It's not THAT dissimilar to what the neons had last year? Which also turned up not long after a fish loss(in that case, disappearance)
I wonder if I should treat the tank?Shimmer was pulled from that tank with fungal-looking stuff on her fin only last month. She recovered and has been re-introduced now that it's cleared

That lump on the side of her face is the one that concerns me...it's not fuzzy or anything, but it kind of looks like a cluster? like an infection swelling? Kind of lumpy like cauliflower.

My reading says Columnaris lesions are red outside, white in middle...because of her facial colouring, I wouldn't be able to see reddenng-it looks like a purple circle outside, with the bump being whitish. The purple is similar to her own colouring..stretched out?

She's eating-she scoops with her under lip, and takes food that way.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If it looks like cauliflower I would think its actually a growth of some kind vs a bacterial lesion but thats just a guess, the lip not so sure, if its the result of an injury I'd think it would be going down by now. With the different stuff going on in the tank you could treat it. If they've never been treated then I'd probably do the TFG. Kanaplex and TFG are both antibiotics and you could do both together.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I haven't treated the Bettas tank with anything yet- only some salt at the start to heal their fins

If I treat the tank, I'll put butch back in, and let her get the stronger meds. Though it might be best to net her for the healing process

I'll see how things look tonight when I clean out the tank again, then decide if I want to treat the whole thing or mix a 5g batch and keep her jarred

Ok, so I can see one more with a lesion, and two with steaks(red veins showing) along the body near the fins

I'll clean the tank, then add the meds into the fresh water

Maybe I will even catch those wretched shrimp whilst I'm in there

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I got the shrimp out, snails too temporarily

Meds in.

Tiger looks pretty torn up, I need to consider buying more girls. Seems like my meek little blue eyes got her back bone and wants to knock out the top dogs(Butch and Tiger)

Ashley Thompson

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know I'm a bit late to the party here but I've been reading this all day off and on. I've just started my own sorority as well! At the moment I only two girls and 3 mollies but this is such an interesting adventure to follow! I hope everything turd out okay with the girls!

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey, welcome

It's quite an adventure, and I'm enjoying it. I'm stuck for money to advance things ATM, but that just gives me time to think lol

Ashley Thompson

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey, welcome

It's quite an adventure, and I'm enjoying it. I'm stuck for money to advance things ATM, but that just gives me time to think lol
Luckily I had some money saved for my endeavor! My adventure started when I vowed to save at least the female bettas from my local Walmart who treated them poorly. Now I'm happy to have my wonderful aquarium!

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I lost Tiger

She tried to swim through a hole in the coconut hut, and got stuck halfway

I was out all day

I'm down to 5/7 now

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, I was kind of bummed out

I don't name many fish- only the ones that stand out

I'm planning on checking big Als for more after hubby's shift over the weekend....I don't want to leave the tank without enough girls to break aggressive tendencies

The lump on butch's mouth didn't change during or after meds, and no one else came down sick before or after meds....I had thought I saw something on one, but it's not there now....so I am going to guess it's either an injury or a tumour

I'll watch it, but I see no change in her colour, eating patterns, behaviour, etc

PetLover418

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm so sorry sassymomma. It seems like you've got a lot of bad luck with your sorority! Best wishes send your way!!

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks

It's just a run of bad luck, but I'm sure it will settle down as the tank ages.....plus I'm still learning the ropes as far as tropical fish go- partly why I chose to do a sorority.....I can focus on learning about one fish

PetLover418

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That sounds good! Btw, I just added my smallest betta back into the sorority. She flared at #3 in ranking and tried to nip some of the young platies. I think she'll do fine once she's a little bigger.

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Positive ID on the ghosts being whisker shrimp
I have 7 whiskers in my sorority and they have always been fine together. They do eat up snails, but my girls have no issues.
8889b2447c257602382a0cb28b32cba2.jpg

Sorry for your loses....I have found diseases to pop up more easily in a sorority than other tanks....possibly due to added stress.

Once established they are so fun. Good luck

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That is good to know

I have them in a 1/2 gallon jar right now, but it's more fun to watch them in a tank

I originally got them to house with my male Betta..... but I watched them eat his tail while he rested so they were removed

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never tried whiskers with my male betta. When I drop food in they will wave and threaten to keep food for themselves but the girls don't seem to care....they just grab the food and get out of the way

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, one of mine is king of the driftwood lol
b4ed3c93461e275e9ca4266e443dd24b.jpg

It's his throne

When I put food in, the two of them scramble around and gather as many pellets as they can carry, while I feed the fish at the top. It's funny to watch

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Today was really busy!

I moved my book shelves into the living room and my sorority tank into the dining room. Now I have a fish room of sorts, with the small tanks at one end and the sorority at the other

Excuse the mess of random displaced items lol
be134ca5f65fd49382fb16c3b5e0349a.jpg
the Betta corner houses the male and the shrimp in the 5g, and Butch in her new 2.5g, where she can heal from her split lip
aeb37a3dd257709c08bb8ee5763045b7.jpg
The sorority is clouded from the move, but is proud home to ten girls now
d5a703c929e0b64a07b119ed35338df6.jpg
d1bd74eb76a9bc209f14915c0f07c2e0.jpg
The new ones are pretty rough in the fins so I bathed everyone in Betta revive before adding I have kanaplex on hand if infection ensues

I love this one
5c05822af3f725be48d88d24f5d247c1.jpg

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ah, things look clearer today lol
248cec6f9fe7ecb5178c7d148661bd21.jpg
d7a0364f50977e615481ff0df25f91a5.jpg

Oh! Update on Butch

She's in her 2.5 now with a new heater and the aqua clear 30(smallest I have lol)
The face looks much better and you have to look to see the disfigured lip. She can now eat worms and flakes without dropping them....and if she has time to concentrate can eat a pellet after a couple of tries

She's only missing 1/3 of her lip now

I still don't know what got her but the meds put her back into good form

e73e575e30b18a56a2926f494166f7b2.jpg
e05551ef78cfc8af3822b5875c68cd70.jpg
c972f5516d27f162d3d4e3d70827d56a.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom