My 38 Gallon Diary

PetLover418

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm having some issues with my sorority too. I recently added in Stella (the smallest) and now she only has half a tail from biting. I put the most dominant -Sara- in a breeder net to chill while the girls figure out their issues and get more comfortable to close the gap between aggression.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How many are you up to, and is there plenty of plant coverage? My problems started after the plants died off, so that coverage really helps.

I find that they love the floating strawberry baskets, with holes clipped in them....provides cover at surface level and a place to play

I was hoping that the Val's would grow tall and give cover....but I will have to try something different instead. I like the look of the dwarf sag and pennywort if I can find them

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, my water lettuce experiment didn't work out lol

I sent it home with my dad while it still had a few leaves left to recover in his pond lol

I'll have to find something else to float

PetLover418

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have 4 currently. Lots of decor, betta safe plastic plants, and some elodea. I took your suggestion and got some anubias today! I'm waiting to QT them just on case because my QT has a molly (moved)--> now my sister's new male betta. Shes getting her own tank soon, so I'll have to keep them in a small water filled container.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can dip them in a bleach mix- 1oz bleach, 20oz water
That will kill off nasties like snails or parasites

Anubis handle the bleach dip pretty good, then you run them under water to clean it off, and soak them in a bucket with Prime until you are ready for them

PetLover418

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cool! We don't have any bleach because my mom's really against it for some reason. We might have something like bleach or a special kind though. I picked off most of the rockwool and left them submerged in a container of water and prime.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I actually hate the stuff too....had to specifically go out and buy it for the tanks, but I still only use it rarely, and heavily diluted. Bleach is hard on the skin and environment-for cleaning, nothing beats vinager

I got two mystery snails for the sorority today. The girls aren't sure about them yet, but the driftwood is getting fuzzy so we need something to go a-munching lol
3b9cc8825edd0d063234bda86f9f0ef7.jpg
b56050af74a1ce15c6441f887009ab13.jpg

Next purchase is plants-still looking for sturdy tall specimens

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I actually hate the stuff too....had to specifically go out and buy it for the tanks, but I still only use it rarely, and heavily diluted. Bleach is hard on the skin and environment-for cleaning, nothing beats vinager
I know lots of people use bleach, but I'm not comfortable using it.

I've started using Allen's Cleaning Vinegar (10% acetic acid) for cleaning and disinfecting tanks and equipment.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Disaster:

I woke up this morning to find the Blue dead and half eaten. This leaves me with only 5 in the tank, and not enough plants....I'm getting concerned. I believe that the plants having died off set this situation up, and I'm unable to get more at this time(transportation issues) I have one anubis and a couple of bamboo sprouts left in my 29 that I could scavenge...but not enough to make a difference in the 38 gallon. Losing those Vals was a big deal, as far as cover was concerned, and taking Shimmer out because of that thing on her fin threw everything off kilter.

I'm trying to decide if I should put in dividers, add jars,cups,vases(anything to add cover until more plants come)......or cup the girls until I can get more.

Most likely culprits: Butch (the big one of light purple, with koi markings)or Tiger(orange tinged, with stripes)

EDIT:One of the kids is theorising that a shimp may have taken her out- I bought some "ghost shrimp" awhile ago, to house with my male, and they munched on his tail. SO I housed them with the goldfish instead. Two survived, and are still in this tank. She says she's seen them "ninja-jumping on the bettas" i have personally seen them swimming at all levels of the tank, but not attacking things- mostly they collect fallen food and climb on the logs.

Positive ID on the ghosts being whisker shrimp

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I rearranged the tank....catching those shrimp will be a trick, they're fast..... so I fed everything well tonight

Hopefully if there's plenty of food, they won't hunt

I managed to propagate a new Anubis from my current growth and I poached all usable plants from the 29again.....gave me some higher foliage
2df01b92cf49f0f755b5e8fdb5fd8273.jpg
f8617756ba8f7a58444849193b3debf9.jpg
982292ec1a27964159df82500f0b9bb6.jpg
afcbdb8fbc5f8f098f66c874f6d780b2.jpg

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow, those whisker shrimp are crazy at feeding time!

I dropped in blood worms, and the shrimp swam up to join the Betta at the surface

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd get rid of the whisker shrimp. Sometimes they get mixed in with ghost shrimp shipments and they are very aggressive and will attack other fish in the tank. Ghost shrimp will show orange bands on their pincers while if I remember right, Whisker shrimp had blue. I had one once and he kept turning over one of my mystery snails trying to eat it. I euthanized him.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hate whisker shrimp. I don't strongly dislike any animal at all apart from whisker shrimp and dolphins. I avoid ghost shrimp just in case I get a whisker.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I hate whisker shrimp. I don't strongly dislike any animal at all apart from whisker shrimp and dolphins. I avoid ghost shrimp just in case I get a whisker.
I agree with the whisker shrimp but wait, why don't you like dolphins? lol.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thats pretty funny mostly because they're such a friendly mammal! When my kids were younger we went to Mexico and they did the "swim with the dolphins" thing, they loved it. Maybe thats what you need to do

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd get rid of the whisker shrimp. Sometimes they get mixed in with ghost shrimp shipments and they are very aggressive and will attack other fish in the tank. Ghost shrimp will show orange bands on their pincers while if I remember right, Whisker shrimp had blue. I had one once and he kept turning over one of my mystery snails trying to eat it. I euthanized him.
I'm going to

Unfortunately, they are very hard to catch, and I need a bigger net. The things are faster than minnows

My son loves them, so I told him he could jar them with some java fern......might not be as fun as watching them cruise around the 38, but if they're alone, they would do no damage to tank mates

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Butch has developed lumps around her mouth. I'm going to hazard to guess that she's the one that ate the blue that I lost the other day..... I had her tagged as a potential killer too

I put her into a jar in the male tank (he's also jarred with meds) and added meds. Betta revive was first pick, until I learn more about her condition

The kids keep turning the ac down, so heated water is a must no matter where I treat my fish

e09d8a83550f15e2801d4367ec2583ce.jpg
2d73da7a4b299630c7891fa750108ea9.jpg

Upper lip slightly raised
0ab8eec4937d3cdcdd14a8e5ed05c9d7.jpg

Lump to side of mouth and another below

Well, there was some nipping and fin pulling last night, but I see the girls in good condition today, and everyone in good colour with Butch out of the tank

Shimmer, who was stressed last night, is solid lavender today. I had reintroduced her after losing the blue, to allow for distribution of aggressive behaviour with only 5 female left in the tank
1c69cc85b866078f20fb0ba67dd604fa.jpg

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Not much change from last night
fa3d53b222710c9a3ce149d622c1c9ba.jpg
4e7cc0ea2b7e2d03766d6b41d4d383a7.jpg
shes nice and cooperative at least, just hanging there in the jar

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That lip looks concerning, not sure I've see that before. It looks swollen. You may need to do antibiotics if it doesn't clear up. Does it look cottony at all or just swollen?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom