My 38 Gallon Diary

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by sassymomma, Apr 17, 2017.

1. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

This is my thought and question log, as I start a new project

I am open to suggestions, and welcome input on how to improve my plans

I am starting with a 38gallon bow front
    2f7ddd643d31eecfde61b53c318419f1.jpg
    The goldfish return to their pond next time I visit my dad, and I am free to begin buying plants and decorations without having them eaten

I know that the slate rock has to go...my male tore his fins on it when it was in my community tank. Probably the big ones too, I will check them

I am thinking of using a piece of spider wood in the place on the rock

My plan is to use plants in vases to create surface cover....maybe wisteria??definitely some "potted" swords I want Anubis to tie to the wood

I have a log segment, which has a cave in back(Got it for the bn pleco) and a coconut hut already in there

Was thinking about making a cave from plastic canvas and threading java moss through it?

I will get the girls when I see a tank full of them in big Als...I have never had bad stock from them and they have a good return/swap policy if a fish doesn't work out for you

Do I still need to qt them separately if they are from the same tank?

Here's what I did with my male tank, but I think it's too open for females? d41d9162fd8456472dba49a864c80687.jpg

This is my "potting " idea, though I plan for various sizes of vases, not a 7oz glass-this plant is awaiting dirt 0730624914b48c9744c45cff139e1989.jpg

For filtration:

Currently the tank has two 200gph filter units installed

One I can turn down, but the aqueon quiet flow had to be pulled from the tank when the male Betta was in it due to the force of the water fall....will it be too much for girls? I was considering getting a sponge filter ready in the male tank, to add at the same time as the girls, and it will be rated to 40gallons.

I also have an aqua clear 50 on a different tank .

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Add lots and lots of live plants. Swords will be great in a 36gal provided the lighting is good enough. Crypts also do really well in most types of lighting and spread readily when they are happy. Driftwood is a great idea, the more things to break the spaces up the better. I'd get some tall growing plants, ones that will make it all the way to the surface so the girls can rest among the leaves/stems.

I would like to say that potting a sword might not be the best idea as their root systems get pretty big and need a lot of space. Be careful of the anubias as well, their little root attachmets get really long and can become compacted in the glasses and end up rotting away, as they are usually attached to hard objects and have a constant flow of water going over them. They don't need dirt either, as they are such slow growers that the nutrients provided by the fish waste are plenty to keep them going, they're not really "root feeders" anyways.

You will need root tabs for swords and probably any other heavily rooted plant if you are only using sand as the substrate.

You should definitely keep a log going of this, I love hearing about other people's sorority experiences :D

3. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

Oh wow amazing tank
    If u add some more plants it will be a great place for your fish..

4. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Now when I say "potted", I don't mean in an actual flowerpot....I'm thinking in larger vases with dirt...like you would put a dozen roses in, on the diningroom table :) I can always put them into the sand as they get big too, with Root tabs- it's just that I want things at all levels of the tank, and I'm not sure if the light is enough to support a ground-planted sword? It's a 2year old T8 blub that I need to replace with a 5000k plant bulb. I tried replacing it once before, and accidentally bought the size needed for my other fixture so I kept it lol

The anubis is for attaching to my spiderwood, as I've noticed the betta likes lurking in the roots. I thought about making a "tree" but so far the only suitable piece of wood that I've seen was ......you want me to pay WHAT for dead wood?....expensive lol

What is the best way to attach a plant? Usually I use a rubber band, but they do come off often....

I can grow Wisteria, but every other stem plant I have tried so far has eventually melted and died on me. I have so far tried Wisteria, Ludwiga, Moneywort(those two died quickly), anubis, Amazon sword, java fern and moss....and a Brazillian sword that is actually a peace lilly XD I have that in my Male tank, because I'm keeping the water low enough to let it's top sit above water.

5. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I picked up some clay balls and little plastic pots to put at the surface of the tank

Going to see if I can get a root system growing for the girls to lurk in

Now to find some plants to grow

Wheat grass??? I have seeds for that. Maybe mint

Must be cat safe

6. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I've got pothos vines in my betta tanks, it took a while to get a decent root system but it's there. Also have a couple cuttings of Syngonium podophyllum which seems to do well, I have the larger kind but there's a dwarf version too.

As for the mint, I know there are wild species around my area and they all love to grow near water, where the soil is constantly wet. I feel like mint would do well in a mini hydro garden.

7. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Mine is sort of wild

I pull it from my yard and set it in water to grow roots.....usually everything below water level grows roots and any leaves there drop off, while the plant thrives. That is how I multiply them yearly because we drink insane amounts of mint tea lol

Sweet!

Big Als has a tank of girls in

So, if I can prep most of the tank between now and my next visit to my dad's, it's just a matter of cleaning up and last minute planting between taking home goldfish and putting in the girls

I won't even have to worry about if the cycle can handle the bioload

They're $4.99 each and I'm going to look at them tonight when I look for driftwood

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

The Lady tank:
    4d8f3b5e2043a4c7654f80f0302916d2.jpg 3630b6b6bdd21c0b097b0c6a13d41f04.jpg
    There's a fair bit of nipping going on in this tank due to lack of hidey holes but all the girls are active. I can see that fins are a bit ragged, but I don't mind helping them heal. I plan on finding the 5-7 most timid ladies in the tank

Any reason evident that should warn me away from this stock?

---------

In other developments, I bought 8vals, 2bunches of wisteria and a heater today. As well as the driftwood d8799deac85383d86067922678a4b199.jpg

Lol that last bit won't sink

I'm waiting for the kids to go back to school from lunch so I can refill the tank, but I like it so far and there's lots of places to put plants e7c8e6f0b5809106048f2f7f476dc0f7.jpg 131d1fbc9d06e2b6eec9417d7efee5c1.jpg

9. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Looks good!

10. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I can't wait to add plants but if I do it now they will be salad

Here's the tank full....Anubis is in the breeder box, so is java fern 6100742b51eea461cfd8aba9f04f489b.jpg

11. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Definitely some nipping going on but not surprised with that many girls and no plants, decorations etc.

My only concern would be the chance of secondary bacterial infections. I'd have some medicine with nitrofurazone as a standby for their fins if they become infected after getting them. A small amount of aquarium salt 1 tbsp per 5g of water, so roughly 6 of these for your tank for a week or two will help them heal up and prevent infection.

12. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I have that, and plan to buy more, as the male got finrot again so I'm using some of my current box

I'll grab it when I get the girls and put it in my box in case they need it

I'll add the salt first, and watch for improvements before resorting to meds

A thought....would it be better to buy now and spend a week segregated in 1/4 gallon each while I treat the ripped fins.....or buy in a week and introduce directly into the tank?

13. CindiL

Since they're already together and most of them have the same torn fins I would just introduce them together.

14. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Ok

I want to move the tank too- it gets drafts in the winter....no big deal for goldfish but the Betta won't like it much

15. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Today I moved the pleco back into the big tank, so he will tank with the girls

I set the thermostat at 74 for now, and he's nomming on all of the new wood

The male Betta, who bullied him out of the tank, is a bit peeved at losing the nice log with its cave and plant, but it belongs to the pleco so he should have behaved better lol. Maybe I'll move in a new piece, after the pleco has it well rasped of that new-wood slime

I like how this is coming together-lots of breaking up of the line-of-sight...Val's and wisteria ready for planting and two more Anubis as well. I'm keeping those out of reach of the goldfish, to protect new growth 4b972e4471a089b0ee6cc9ba90bafaa7.jpg

I'm growing mint from the filter too, hopefully roots will run into the tank for the girls to hide? 3a12d91425ff4a7e3d6ca069b3494d2f.jpg

Picked four of my girls today

They were all trying to stay out of the way of the bolder females
    cf232d9b22442a548bb691558a0e94a7.jpg ea7564a0768e93f0fd064455b0270812.jpg ed7b71f43ec795483f9c70ec9bfa192f.jpg 2b1418ab21949e8192b8444b364dc643.jpg

There's a beautiful rose coloured one in the tank but she seems to be an aggressor so I ruled her out. I'll go back next Monday after the goldfish leave and the tank planted, and buy them

16. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Unrelated to stock, I see you mention per plants keep dying on you... what lighting do you have for this tank?
    I have the same tank, and at 24 deeps it's a challenge with lighting.

17. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

The new Val's are in a 5g box near the window, with assassin snails -they came complete with pest snails lol

I moved the ones that are in rough shape to my male tank with a T8 strip

This tank, I actually have a 5000k plant bulb that I bought at Big Als for $15. I am hoping that it will be enough to reach the bottom, but I will probably only use established plants in here, so it's unlikely to be an issue if it doesn't

You could try wisteria, Anubis, Java fern if you have lower lighting-I was able to grow all of those on my 29 bow front with the worn out T8 strip. Only my swords suffer for light, I can see them stretching tall to reach it lol

18. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I'm wondering if I should add a school in, to distract any peevish behaviour?

I would want to do that just before adding the girls, and find something that is temperature compatible.

The tank is plenty big enough, but I'm more familiar with cool water fish. I'm thinking that territorial females might not take well to me adding anything after them??

19. CindiL

I have found that my girls totally ignore pretty much all other fish except fancy guppies, (don't get those) or other fish with long flowing tails. I have my girls in with sterbai cories (though they steal their food and now some of my girls are REALLY fat) and a school of Rummy Nose Tetras. Platies might also be an idea.

20. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

So other fish aren't really relevant to the success of the sorority then?

I recalled vaguely that you mentioned sterbai something...thought it was Tetras, but I wanted to be sure, because some Tetras are said tobe too nippy for betta and I dont want to mess up stocking.

At 38 gallons...if it looks too bare, could I grow the sorority, or am I settled in with my first purchase?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice