My 37gallon Non-(real)planted Tank And A Power Head Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Nickguy5467, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +110
    Experience:
    1 year
    so here is my tank. i have a power head. where would be the optimal place to put it and what direction? also it came with that air tubing adapter, should i be using that? i also need to figure out how to get it to stop losing suction and falling forward, but yes placement. Thank you going to update my fish inside on my profile now.

IMG_20190728_190821.
    not sure if this is the right place to post this. but i couldnt find a section for powerheads

@Mike

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. fa4960

fa4960Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +504
    Experience:
    5 years
    Since none of your plants are real they are not in need of any particular circulation to receive nutrients so it only comes down to the fish and aesthetics then. I would place towards the back, either side will do. If you want some surface agitation to keep oily films to a minimum as well as help with oxygen uptake you could place the outlet just under the water surface...

I don't use the air tubing adaptor as I am not interested in the powerhead spewing air bubbles all over the tank but that's an individual choice of course. It will help with surface agitation though if you place the powerhead deeper in the water column.

You don't mention how big your powerhead is but your tank doesn't look that big so there may not be many places to hide from the current/flow of water. Hence you may want to consider putting the powerhead on a timer to give the fish a break at night time?

3. OP
    OP
    Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +110
    Experience:
    1 year
    my 37g tank is 30" x 12.5" x 22" . the power head is topfin 50 model: pt700. i dont rememebr what that means.

4. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,642
    Experience:
    1 year
    I would start with placing it on the opposite side as your filter.

I concur with @fa4960 , a timer would be good to give the fish a break at nite.