MY 30G. TANK :O)

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Here are some pictures of my 30 gallon tank. I just finished changing the setup. I chaned my gravel from black-and-blue to a natural-colored gravel; removed old decor and added stones, shells, and rocks instead (found in the river); and added two pieces of driftwood (which were soaked and boiled for a couple of days before putting them in the tank). The fish are temporarily in a quarantine tank, waiting for the water to stabilize in the main tank. I can't wait to see if they'll like their new home!

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Nice set-up!!! love the wood, it really adds something to the tank doesn't it. Good Job!!!!
    Can't wait to see it with fish.
    Carol

3. Janmitch22 Member Member

You could have fooled me, with all of those posts about not finding the perfect driftwood and everything...your tank looks great. You should see mine! I have yet to acquire gravel/sand (still debating). Very good job! ;D

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Wow, it's beautiful! Your fishies are very lucky! Great job! ;D

5. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

WOW thats really beautiful.. all those plants make it look really lush. I need to get some more but they're so expensive :(

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

Brilliant ;D

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks everyone. You have no idea how much work and time (and quite a sum of money) I have put in that tank! But it was worth it. I mean, it's nothing like these beautiful tanks you see in competitions or like Butterfly's tanks (!!!), but it's good enough for me. As long as my fish are happy and healthy :) Janmitch22, well maybe I am too picky with that diriftwood, lol. But I'll tell you, these are still not the pieces I was looking for. However, I cannot be looking for them forever, so I went ahead and bought whatever the nicest pieces they had in the store. And Janmitch22, I am sure your tank doesn't look worse than mine did before the setup change, believe me. Miss Mouse, I don't really have that many plants in my tank, maybe it just looks lush. The plant in the middle of the tank behind the driftwood is fake - I saw it when I was buying more live plants and I liked it so much I had to get it. It has an interesing appearance and I never saw a live plant similar to it in my store. The rest of the plants at both ends of the tank are real. The bigger ones I had for quite a while now, and as they grew bigger they also grew more leaves.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Isabella some times artificial plants look real. Let me tell you a story ;) I went to see Gunnie and we ran around to every fish store we could find. And I saw this BEAUTIFUL Valisneria( I have a hard time growing Val') in a display tank and asked the salesman if he would sell it out of the display tank. He acted a little odd but said yes he would sell it. Then just as he had his hand in the water he turned and said.... You do know this is a fake plant don't you? We were flored, it was really a nice plant. :D
    Carol

9. Janmitch22 Member Member

I just buckled and bought gravel, so I'll be doing that this weekend. I tried looking for store driftwood, but they all looked so wimpy. I live by the Mississippi River and there are a few other smaller ones around, so I think I'll go down there and see what I can see. I hope mine eventually looks sweet, like yours!  ;D

10. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

LOL Carol, good story! Indeed many artificial plants look nice. Janmitch22, exactly, all driftwood pieces look ugly in the store, right? That is what I meant before! But since they never ever had anything better in my store, I went ahead a bought whatever was available (I chose the best of these ugly woods). And actually, I realized they look ugly when dry. When they're dry, they have an ugly light color. But after you submerge the driftwood in the water, it looks totally different. The color becomes very dark and a nice brown - nothing similar to what it was when dry. And if you're really intent on getting driftwood, remember to boil and soak it really well and long. You don't want your tank water to be cloudy and brownish (unless you like it that way, may look interesting actually - depends on how you look at it, lol).

11. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

And when you are ready to change the look a little, some java ferns and moss would be awesome growing on your driftwood! Not that your tank isn't already beautiful! It's just a little different look. ;)

12. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Gunnie, sure! I am open for suggestions and always ready to experiment with my tank. You're absolutely right, it indeed would look nice. Only I have never seen java moss in my pet store. I actually wanted to get it when I was going through different plants on the website you gave me, the Plant Geek. If I don't see it in my store, I think I will have to order it online. This plant is great. And as I have read, easy to maintain, which makes it even better!

13. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

When you are ready, just post it here for starters that you are wanting to buy some java fern or java moss. Someone here might have some to spare and would be willing to sell you some!

14. Craig Well Known Member Member

what a beautiful tank wish i had 1 like that, very well done Izzy !!

Amazed C W

15. dahly Member Member

A truely beautiful tank!

16. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Here is my tank again. I changed things around a bit, again! LOL :) I put the live plants in the middle so that they receive more light (since my lightbulb does not extend fully from one end of the tank to the other). I also added morre fake plants on the very top of the tank to provide more hiding place and more shadow for my fishies. I also added some darker gravel because it previously seemed too lightly-colored for me (and probably for my fishies too). Oh, and yes, I am still waiting for the java moss to arrive in my pet store! Any suggestions where to plant the java moss and how much? Can it grow in the drker parts of the aquarium, where less light reaches the bottom? My pictures are small, as usual ... and came out very blurry! Sorry :-\

Attached Files:

17. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

ooo pretty! im jealous! :mad:

;D

18. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Isabella, your tank looks so beautiful! If you want to add java moss, you can tie some with string or fishing line snugly to your driftwood until it attaches itself in a few weeks. Then just let it grow. ;)

19. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you Emma and Gunnie.

Gunnie, is it possible to tie java moss to things other than driftwood, for example to the stones? Is it possible to plant java moss in the gravel? Or it won't grow if so planted?

The reason I am asking this is that I already have a lot of plants around the wood (and in the middle of the tank), and if I keep adding plants only around the wood, the other parts of the tank will look relatively empty. I'd like to balance it by adding more plants on the ends/edges of the tank. But of course I will need low light and low maintenance plants, java moss being one of them. Will java moss grow in slightly shaded areas?

[ If it is absolutely impossible for java moss to be planted on stones or in the gravel, I will buy two very small pieces of driftwood and put them at the tank's ends so that java moss has something to grow on, and so that the setup will look more balanced (plant-wise and space-wise). ]

20. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I have some java moss I am trying to attach to some rocks in my tank. It's taking a long time, but it will eventually happen. One of the problems with java moss that you need to be aware of, is that it can sometimes attach itself in places you don't want it, so just be aware of that. Once it's attached, it's almost impossible to get rid of it. If you pull it off, it will grow back I think the small pieces of driftwood on each side is a great idea. Then you can move the moss around if you want, or take it out if you get tired of it.