My 30g Is Now Complete!

Margaux

New Member
Messages
34
Reaction score
38
Points
18
Experience
Just started
Due to some unfortunate circumstances, ie losing heat to the building at school nd projected -15C temperatures tonight, I precipitated the move of the residents if my 10g classroom aquarium to my 30g community tank. Some will return in a few weeks after march break when my classroom is not an icebox, but who will return is still being determined. In the tank, I already had 5 platies, 2 dalmatian mollies (who might yet move to the 75g when it's set up), 3 yoyo loaches who are my pride and joy and 3 siamese algae eaters. The 10g tank's residents were 4 guppies and Gary, a yoyo loach with a huge personality named by the kids because apparently assassins are named Gary (he was bought to eat pond snails). Everyone seems to be getting along fine so far and man are they all gorgeous together. All I want to do is stare at them. I will post pictures once I'm at my computer, phone isn't cooperating
 

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
861
Points
158
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello and welcome to Fish Lore!

Good call, that's very cold even for YoYo Loaches lol. However, do keep in mind that they get up to 6 inches long so they will need a bigger tank eventually when they get of size.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Margaux

New Member
Messages
34
Reaction score
38
Points
18
Experience
Just started
candiedragon said:
Hello and welcome to Fish Lore!

Good call, that's very cold even for YoYo Loaches lol. However, do keep in mind that they get up to 6 inches long so they will need a bigger tank eventually when they get of size.
Yeah, they're also slated for the 75g eventually. Right now three of them are really tiny and Gary is inly 2", so it's not an imminent necessity. When I got to school today, the water in the 10g was only 60 degrees and the room was freezing. It was miserable for us, but at less the fish are fine at home
 

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
861
Points
158
Experience
5 to 10 years
Margaux said:
Yeah, they're also slated for the 75g eventually. Right now three of them are really tiny and Gary is inly 2", so it's not an imminent necessity. When I got to school today, the water in the 10g was only 60 degrees and the room was freezing. It was miserable for us, but at less the fish are fine at home
Yes, I figured they were small if they were on display in a 10g. Just wanted to pass a friendly reminder/info. Otherwise, thats great that you have a cozy backup for them. I feel like some classrooms tank keepers dont really consider that, although there's a few teachers who post here from time to time which is nice. It's always nice to have people willing to learn and do right by the fish in general, and nice that they share that experience in a classroom experience.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Margaux

New Member
Messages
34
Reaction score
38
Points
18
Experience
Just started
candiedragon said:
Yes, I figured they were small if they were on display in a 10g. Just wanted to pass a friendly reminder/info. Otherwise, thats great that you have a cozy backup for them. I feel like some classrooms tank keepers dont really consider that, although there's a few teachers who post here from time to time which is nice. It's always nice to have people willing to learn and do right by the fish in general, and nice that they share that experience in a classroom experience.
Gary is the only one who was in the 10g. I got him somewhat accidentally when the local pet store suggested a loach gor snail control with the caveat that he'd get too big. The intention always was to move him to my bigger home setup once the snails were dead, but I hadn't realized that loaches liked having loach buddies until I started reading more. So when I was stocking the 30g, I got him a few minions. They might still move to the 75g. The 10g is just 4 guppies and possibly some shrimp to replace Gary.

I will admit, the backup is mostly convenient for me. I have to bring them home over Christmas, march and summer breaks and it's a real pain moving the tank each time. I'd way rather just move the fish.
 

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
861
Points
158
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah, I must have misunderstood. I thought both guppies and Gary were in the 10g lol.

Minions. That's so funny I love it.

I agree, moving fish is a lot easier than tanks. Even a 10g is at least 80 lbs.!

Loaches are pretty cool, and sometimes I think they're pretty underrated.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Margaux

New Member
Messages
34
Reaction score
38
Points
18
Experience
Just started
candiedragon said:
Ah, I must have misunderstood. I thought both guppies and Gary were in the 10g lol.

Minions. That's so funny I love it.

I agree, moving fish is a lot easier than tanks. Even a 10g is at least 80 lbs.!

Loaches are pretty cool, and sometimes I think they're pretty underrated.
I think my loaches are my favorite fish ❤❤❤
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom