My 30 gallon isn't responding to ich treatment! Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by LyndaB, Apr 3, 2010.

1. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Guys, I need your help..... badly!

My 30 gallon is experiencing the worse case of ich I've ever seen! I've lost half of my fish because the tank is not responding to treatment.

I started treating with Jungle Ick Guard. I've used this in the past and it's cleared the problem up slowly but surely. I must treat at half dose due to the loaches in the tank.

This time, the tank did not respond to treatment w/Ick Guard. So I switched to Quick Cure. And even that is not working (after 3 days!).

My fish are covered with ich, absolutely covered. I am left with 2 loaches, although they haven't come out to I can see them, I can spot them in the crevices of the driftwood. Aside from them, I have only 2 of my cherry barbs and 3 cardinals.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm doing my best, but I'm so afraid that I'm going to lose everybody. :'(

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Usually the best treatment for ICH especially where loaches are concerned is heat(temp over 82F), frequent water changes(every other day) and frequent substrate vacuums(when water changes done) for 14 days(length ot time for ICH to go through life cycle). ICH cant live and reproduce over 82f so you must raise the water temperature. Most raise it to atleast 84F. Warm water has less oxygen so the water changes are necessary, a bubble wand if you have it is good.
    I've never used either meds so I can't offer any help there.
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

I have had the temp raised since the ich hit the tank.

I will introduce more air to the tank today.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the gravel entirely and, after the tank is clean again, laying down a new substrate.

4. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

Did a water change, no more meds, since they're not responding. Upped the temp even more and tossed some aquarium salt in there. Lost another cardinal. WAH! At this point, my fish are all so close to death, I'm pulling out all the stops. I don't see that anything I do will hurt them, thus the salt.

They were a little more active after the water change, but just for a short time. Now they're all hiding again. Trying not to die. :'(

5. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Oh Lynda I'm sorry to hear. I have use the Quick Cure before with no results at all. I switched to Maracide and have gotten fantastic results with it. But I have to agree the best thing for Ick is high temps, lots of aeration, and frequent water changes. I hope everything goes well for you. Oh, also ICK is a parasite which can grow and adapt to medications much like virus'. That is why they have to redo the flu vaccine every flu season because the virus will grow an immunity to the old one. So I usually mix up my medications with each issue. I'll get ick once use Maracide then next time if I get it then I'll use something else if the heat and water changes dont cut it. Best of Luck.

6. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

Have you removed the carbon from the filter? I wish you luck!

7. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww ich isnt fun at all :(
    the higher temps might not work either as its so bad...but I would attempt that at 85 with plenty of extra air as recommended.....2-3 gravel vacs a week to get up the ich spores...and make sure the water going back in the tank, is 85 as well....although salt is used by some for ich, loaches dont handle salt well at all.....ill be pulling for your fish!!!!!

8. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

Yes, to the carbon removal.

Yes, to raised temps.

Yes, to increased oxygen supply.

I'm so distraught. Fish are pets to me, not just some little expendable creature. The stress put me into a full blown migraine yesterday and it's leaked over into today.

Of the few remaining fish, one of the cherry barbs looks a little better. He's swimming more and eating. That gives me at least a little hope.

9. Butterfly

So sorry your srill having this problem. As was stated above Loaches don't do well with salt.
    Higher water temps, water changes and gravel vacs will see you through this, you don't have to use meds but it takes at least 14 days of this so hang in there.
    Carol

10. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

Lost the last 2 cherry barbs and cardinal this morning. The loaches are both still alive but are very distressed. The aren't eating and will come out from time to time to scratch themselves off on the decor.

How long does the ich actually live on the fish?

11. Butterfly

It takes 14 days or a little better of temps over 82F to get rid of ICH.
    Carol

12. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

I think you misunderstand my question. I know you treat the tank for 14 days after you no longer see the ich on the fish. But..... how long does the ich stay on the fish until it drops off?

Thanks!

If I stop drinking water today, will that help dry up the tears? :'(

13. Butterfly

You don't treat the tank for 14 days after you no longer see the ich on the fish.
    From beginning to end it should take 14 days of heat, water changes and gravel vacs to get rid of the ICH in your tank. Due to different meds being added and changed around it may take a little longer.

It can take a few days to a week before the ICH drops off the fish but that doesn't mean it's gone. what you see on the fish is only one of it's life stages.
    carol

14. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

That's really interesting. Just about every other person I've seen post about ich has indicated that you treat for 14 days after you no longer see the ich on the fish itself. Now, I'm more confused than ever but that's okay. I'll treat them as long as they need me to.

Thanks, Butterfly.

15. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

Sadly, I had to euthanize the last fish from this tank this evening. I couldn't bear to watch him die a slow death. I buried him with flowers from the bouquet my husband gave me last week. :'(

Thank you for trying to help me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice