My 30 gallon build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmoore80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I'm deciding on making a thread to post any and all updates to my new 30 gallon! Opinions and advice is greatly appreciated and encouraged!!!!! Everything I put in my tank will be live except for my plastic filter/heater/thermometer/ect. So far Iv bought the tank, filter, heater and a peice of drift wood that hopefully fits in my tank. I ordered my light (finnex 24/7) some liquid ferts and some shrimp! I soon plan on receiving my api kit in the mail and I will update my parameters immediately after I figure out how to test it! Also I plan on putting the 10g in my room!

I really don't know what I want in my tank other then I want a lot of plants! But not a jungle more like a neat fish tank garden. I almost want some gauramis and some Rainbowfish/rasboras with a few bottom feeders that I havent decided on yet (bristlenose pleco, peppered corys, or mini Asian stone catfish) and shrimp/snails.
Depending on what fish I end up with all the shrimp may end up in the 10 gallon so it doesn't quickly turn into a shrimp horror story! I'd really like to have some discus but I don't know how many would fit in a planted 30 gallon and I don't want only 1 kind of fish. Are discus schooling or shoaling?! Would I be about to have other fish in the tank with them without being to badly over stocked ???

Last edited:

Rmoore80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have decided on what I will be putting in my 30! I want to list it here in hope that some of you will inform me of any issues!

1 Pom Pom crab
3 Indian Dwarf Pea Puffers
12 Emerald Dwarf Rasboras
2 Asian Stone Mini Catfish (Hara jerdoni)
1 BN pleco
1 Blue Mystery snail
5 Neocaridina Shrimp
2 or 3 dwarf neon gouramis

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably shouldn't do the dwarf puffers. They should really be in a species only tank. Also, in your tank size, I would only suggest one male dwarf gourami. Females are hard to come by at pet stores. I believe honey gourami can have multiple in one tank.

Last edited:

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I wood reconsider the puffers. They are extremely aggressive and will bite anything they can. They will make quick work of the shrimp

Last edited:

Rmoore80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How big of a tank would I need to be able to have 3 happy puffers?

There is no other creature I could keep with it?

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How big of a tank would I need to be able to have 3 happy puffers?

There is no other creature I could keep with it?
a 15 gal for three that's heavily planted or decorated. I've heard a lot of success of keeping DP's with otos but thats iffy too.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would recommend a 20 gal minimum for 3 dwarf puffers, but I personally wouldn't keep them with any fish other than otos in any size tank. I tried 3 in a 15 gal and it was hard to keep clean.

I would reconsider the pom pom crab in this setup. From what I've researched, they don't do well in typical communities. They filter feed, and need food in the water column. That's difficult to achieve in a community tank.

With the Asian stone catfish, I would get more, and I would make sure that they're eating. Mine would not eat pellets or flakes, only live or frozen foods. I also had to hand feed him, as even my cherry shrimp would get to the food before he did.

What about something like this instead?

20x Emerald dwarf rasboras
12x Habrosus cories
1x BN pleco
2-4x Peacock gudgeon
3x Honey gourami

I would save your dwarf shrimp for the 10 gal.

Rmoore80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would recommend a 20 gal minimum for 3 dwarf puffers, but I personally wouldn't keep them with any fish other than otos in any size tank. I tried 3 in a 15 gal and it was hard to keep clean.

I would reconsider the pom pom crab in this setup. From what I've researched, they don't do well in typical communities. They filter feed, and need food in the water column. That's difficult to achieve in a community tank.

With the Asian stone catfish, I would get more, and I would make sure that they're eating. Mine would not eat pellets or flakes, only live or frozen foods. I also had to hand feed him, as even my cherry shrimp would get to the food before he did.

What about something like this instead?

20x Emerald dwarf rasboras
12x Habrosus cories
1x BN pleco
2-4x Peacock gudgeon
3x Honey gourami

I would save your dwarf shrimp for the 10 gal.
I'm going to research most of those names and the "Otto" since I have no idea what those are! But thank you for the help I really really appreciate it! How many Asian stones would you say? The website sells 3 or 6 but I feel that 6 would take up to much load and it would dwindle the amount of other fish I could keep.

Rmoore80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I think I got this! I'm going to contact the seller and see if he will sell me 4 Asian stones so my tank will me something like this

4 Asian stone mini
3-4 gouramis
(dwarf or honey)
1 BN pleco
24 emerald dwarf rasboras
1 blue mystery snail
And I'm going to continue to research the Pom Pom because if heard good and bad about them!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
6 stone cats would be fine. They're tiny and they don't have high bioloads.

Only 1 male dwarf gourami, that's why I suggested honey gouramis, so you could have more.

Rmoore80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could I do 1 dwarf and 2 honey? Do dwarf males fight or are there loads drastically high?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dwarf males fight, and I would not mix gourami species (so no honey and dwarf).

Rmoore80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just out of curiosity why can't you mix them? Do they try to breed and just make mutant babies?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, they dwarf gourami will attack the honey gourami.

Rmoore80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well honey gourami it is, all of these fish should be fine with flakes/pellets/algea wafers right?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would feed your pleco veggies and make sure you have driftwood in the tank for it.

I would also add in frozen foods, like bloodworms, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp.

My Asian stone catfish would not add flakes or pellets, so if you don't want to feed frozen or live foods daily, I would swap them out. What about habrosus cories instead?

Rmoore80

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I could find frozen food on Amazon I would have ordered it already is love to hold some worms or something on tweezers and feed my fish that'd be fun!!!

By veggies you mean zucchini and peas right? I read about that last night

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Zucchini, squash, green beans, etc. Peas might be hard for the pleco to eat.

I get my frozen food from Petco or Petsmart. Shipping is too much for me to order online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 61 65.6%

Top Bottom