my 3 amigos are not doing a good job

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have 3 ottos in my 72 gal and I am not sure if I need more of them or the ones that I have are lazy.:;dk I have diatoms everywhere and it does not seem like they are doing anything about it. I feed algae wafers to the tank but I dont think they get a look in as my other tank mates are pretty greedy. I also feed cucumber 1-2 times a week.

Is 3 maybe not enough to get the job done?????

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You may need a few more in a tank that size to see any results. Sounds like they have plenty of other food too :) Maybe cut the cucumber down to 1 x a week. If they are the only ones eating the cucumber you could cut it out completely for a awhile to encourage them to eat the diatoms. Their tummys are so small it wouldn't take much other food to fill them up. Keep us posted please.
    Carol

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I would get more. I think they are pretty insecure fish and like to be in a bit larger school than normal :)

4. redlessi Well Known Member Member

The only food they get some of is the cucumber and all of my tank love it especially the snail. They dont even get a chance to get near the algae wafers.

I think I might need to get a few more, if so, how many???

Thanks Carol for such a speedy response.

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

If your tank can handle it, I would say 5-6 more.

6. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Otos have a very small bioload from what I have researched. I have 3 in my 125g and they do fine and stick together as long as you have 3 or more they do fine.

I would say 3 more would probably help with the tank cleaning but I doubt it would be enough to clear the tank of the algae.

How about a bn pleco? I have 2 in my 125g and never see algae with 2 bns and 3 ottos.

7. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Will 1 bn do ok alone?

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I would get a few more ottos and a bn :)
    and do substitute foods for them but once a week to have the diet varied....they can live on diatoms with veggies and wafers once a week..especially if you have allot of it

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

shawnies right on the money as usual :)
    One BN would be fine.
    Carol