My 29g Tank Blog

1. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well, I kept posting updates in various threads, so I decided it'd make more sense to make a blog. I'll try to keep up to date on this a lot and post pics and videos.

But anyways, here's the rundown. I started the tank b4 I really knew anything, so it was a bit of a rough start, then I found this site and it saved almost all my fish (8 out of 10). So, after about 7 weeks I had 3 Sunburst platies (3m), 1 Dalmation molly (m), 2 Serpae tetras, 2 Black Skirt Tetras.
    So last week I bought four more BSTs to make it a 6 school fish, and they are all doing wonderfully. Then, today I bought an angelfish and female platy (I thought one of the males was a girl, so I was trying to balance it out but i realized tonight that I was wrong about that, so I might take her back). I prob shouldn't have bought them already, but I couldn't resist. So hopefully, everyone works out, and I'll post pics tomorrow and update a bit more.

2. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Tetras like to be in schools of at least six, so that's good you got yours some friends. As far as I know, the general rule of thumb with fish like platys is two females for each male. (I'm currently quarantining three platys, and I didn't know when I bought them how to tell the genders apart, and I got two males and one female. The males are bickering and nipping fins, so sticking to the rule of more females than males is a good idea!) I would definitely consider taking the female platy back. (Actually, I need a female... ;) ) Especially since there are three males, I think you would have some aggression problems. I think a 29 gallon tank is a little small for an angel, but hopefully someone else can comment on that.

3. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

yeah, I discovered that rule when I got mollies. But with my platies, I was pretty sure that they were all males, but 2 of them hung out a lot and ignored the other, so I thought perhaps I was wrong and decided to get a female for the lone guy, but after getting her it's quite obvious the other 3 are males and she a female. So far they've behaved, but if it starts getting nippy I'll take her out pretty quick.
    And about the angel. Well it's a long story, but I started a thread to determine if it'd be possible bc my roommate really wanted one after losing his columbian shark (which we shouldn't have had) so I asked around and did a good bit of research and most people thought that one in a 29g would work, and right now he's really small, so I think it should be ok.

4. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

my angelfish seems to be very shy. He's always hiding behind something and away from the other fish. Is this natural for an angelfish or do you think he's getting bullied? I haven't noticed any fish messing with him

5. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I think I remember reading about your roommate and his Columbian Shark. If people say 29 gallons is fine, then I wouldn't be worried at all; I'm planning to get one for my 55 gallon once it's cycled, so I'm not really sure about smaller tank sizes.

I don't think angelfish are usually shy fish, I know they can be rather aggressive during feeding and breeding times. It doesn't sound like you have any characteristically nippy fish, so I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else can comment. :)

6. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

haha yeah that was us. I've read a few times that when first introduced they tend to be shy so I hope that's all it is, bc he still hasn't gotten out and about much yet

7. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

well, my angelfish is still hiding mostly. I'll try to get pics and stuff up tomorrow, just been swamped lately

8. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

9. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Im thinking about adding some corys and 2 gold killifish. Whatcha all think?

10. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

well my angelfish is finally starting to come out at eating times, but he still doesn't swim around much

11. Fighter56AndHisBrother Initiate Member

This is exciting news! :;scuba Huzzah!!!

Don't worry, it will take some time for you Anglefish to adjust. I have confidence in you.

12. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

thanks kaleb xd

Well, I changed the decor a little. I'm wondering something though. When I look at pictures or see videos of people's 29g tanks, it seems like they have a lot of open room for swimming, but my tank doesn't seem like it does at all and I'm not sure why. So, any opinions on that would be wonderful

13. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Your tank dose look great but it dose look cluttered to me. You've got a lot of decor but no taller plants. Angelfish like plants.

I like the driftwood. You should pull out a few other decor and put some taller plants in the back. Do you have any fish that use the caves?

14. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well, I want to get live plants, but none of my LFS have what I want so I haven't gotten any yet. And, the angelfish does sometime, but none of the others do. I'm hoping to get 6 corydoras when I upgrade the filter, so they might use a cave.

15. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

ok, i took out the castle out of the back left corner and now there's a nice open area in the middle, so hopefully the fish will like that better. pics soon

16. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Deff need the floor space if you get Corys.

Mine don't use caves. They just lay around in the open when resting.

17. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

hmm, ok, well hopefully there's enough space for them. i'll prob do another vid tonight

18. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

ok just did a water change and tested the water and my ammonia is up still no matter how many water changes i do
    Am-.25 ppm
    NO2-0 ppm
    NO3-30 ppm
    P.H.-8.2

I'm pretty sure I need another filter, but I still can't afford one yet

19. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Have you checked your tap water?

20. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

no, i guess i should do that