My 29 gallon stocking plan...comment please

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After lots of issues with aggressive, too large, and overly timid fish I've finally decided on a stocking plan for my 29 gallon.
Please comment, I'd like feedback before I begin purchasing new fish.

3 Peppered Corys (already have)
3 Julii Corys (already have)
3 Mystery Snails (I have 1 already)
1 Flame Dwarf Gourami
12 Fancy Guppys (4 guys and 8 girls)

My tank is planted with gravel in back and sand in front, separated with rock and driftwood.
There is a lot of hiding spots in and around the driftwood and among the plants.
I expect the guppys to breed, and I'll donate/sell any surviving fry to my LFS. (I've already checked and they do allow it)

Other info you may want to know: The tank is cycled and has been running for a few months. I have a Cascade 1000 canister filter and standard fluorescent lighting.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Scott

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks good to me as long as you have a plan for fry. Are your cories schooling together? I just bought 3 black fins myself and the solo bronze I had buddied right up to them lol.

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They did at first, now they are only together when fighting over the algae wafer I feed them. The rest of the time they stick with their own species.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
8 female guppies - you'll be overrun with guppies before long.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You might want to get 2 male guppies, and then get a school of peaceful tetras or harlequin rasboras instead of the 8 females.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meenu said:
You might want to get 2 male guppies, and then get a school of peaceful tetras or harlequin rasboras instead of the 8 females.
I agree this would be much better and would still look great and be active

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well.. I think you're right. I'll go with the Harlequin Rasboras vice the guppys.

I added a flame dwarf gouromi last night, and he already feels safe enough to venture out from his hiding hole.

I'm going to add the rasboras soon so that I don't lose the BB from the tanks previous occupants. How many do you think? I'm leaning toward 10 to 15.
That will put my stock at:
3 Julii
3 Peppered
3 Mystery Snails
1 Flame Dwarf Gouromi
and 10-15 Rasboras.

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Meenu said:
Be careful if you do this....I've been keeping two males for a few months and it's been nothing but a fin-nipping nightmare. It is possible though...I think I just ended up with a rogue guppy, LOL.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine did that when I had 3 males. Another option would be 2 female platies as the only livebearers. They are colorful and pretty peaceful.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads