My 29 gallon Apistogramma tank! - Page 2

Rcslade124

So I dosed my normal fertilizer this morning and about 30mins later turn on the lights. I noticed that I have a lot of small things that look to be flying around the tank. I look deeper and they are everywhere. So I Google. I am guessing that they are seed shrimp ( Ostracoda Podocopida). I do see my Cardinals eating some here and there. Definitely a shock but I have read they are good so let's see how late ng they last.

Another note my male apistogramma passed. Sad day. I'm not sure of what caused it. So I will be looking for another male over the next couple of weeks. I have decided to go with a different water change schedule to try and eliminate issues. I am going to do macro,micro,20% wc, macro,micro,20-30% wc, and repeat. Might be a little more work but I want to stay up and not lose any fish again.

INeedHelpLol

Any updates?

Rcslade124

Wow I haven't posted in here in awhile. Both apistogramma passed. Which sucks I like them all. I moved 2 black Rams into the tank. I have been battling algae for 2weeks. But it's clearing up now. I'll post pictures when my daughter is awake from her nap

INeedHelpLol

Oh sad to hear that happened. What is your temperature when they passed? If it is too high their life is accelerated and they dont really like extreme high temperature, like rams. Rams like it in the 80s. I think 76 to 78 is ok. What were your amm, n'trite, and n',trates? Hope everything balances out.

Rcslade124

INeedHelpLol

Hmm, nitrates seem pretty high. In a planted tank it is recommended to keep it under 20 ppm. That may be a potential cause of death. Just a thought.

Rcslade124

Yes it definitely could have been. I have upped water changes to every 3-4 days instead of a week. And do 80% also

INeedHelpLol

That's good, water changes are magical. How are plants doing now? They showing any problems or deficiencies? What fertilizers are you using?

Rcslade124

INeedHelpLol said:
That's good, water changes are magical. How are plants doing now? They showing any problems or deficiencies? What fertilizers are you using?
I owed the picture. I forgot wrapped up in my 120g build yes some of my stargrass was looking very purple. My hownwart is thin and looking rough. But I have dosed some fertilizer again just half doses. I use nilocg dry fertilizer. Mix it into 500ml of water and does that way. Here's a pic alot less green.

INeedHelpLol

Hornwort is thin... not sure, but that may mean that it is lacking something. Faster growing plants are like your canary in the mine. Don't know. But the tank is looking real nice! I have a 20 gallon that has a bunch of plants that need a good fert, so I ordered NilocG Thrive C along with excel. Just have a consistent schedule with fertilizing; consistency is key in this hobby. Cannot wait to see the 120g!

Rcslade124

Yes I was throwing out half my hornwart every other week. But since I did a 3 day blackout and stopped fertilizer it's thinned alot I'll get it back growing again.

Rcslade124

Haven't shown an update in awhile. Been neck deep in my salty build. The 29 gallon is becoming a green first and I love it. Couple new pictures

Dunk2

Rcslade124 said:
Haven't shown an update in awhile. Been neck deep in my salty build. The 29 gallon is becoming a green first and I love it. Couple new pictures
Looks great! What fertilizer are you using?

Rcslade124

Nilocg dry fertilizer. I have dialed it in had a month of green water. Now crystal clear. Cut back lighting and only dose once a week for each micro and macro.

Rcslade124

Holy **** April 10th to today

Berryblue

looking pretty amazing, congrats

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom