My 29 gallon Apistogramma tank!

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I'm going to start a thread so I can just post my build from here on out!

To start I got a 29 gallon tank used from Facebook. (Was supposed to be a 40 gallon) I didnt take tape measure with me so when I get home poof depressed instantly. So I fight for a week and finally decided to make this work. I then researched filters. I decided on a Swiss Tropic corner filter. This will be main filtration for the tank. I powered it by a tetra whisper 100 for now. I silicone it to the corner of the tank. I then found a piece of spiderwood that I liked. Put it all in and started my cycle. I then found rocks that I liked and added them to the tank. And the cycle continues. I cleaned up the tetra whisper30 that came with the tank. Filled with fluval bioring and a sponge figure I may as well run it if I have it! I can move it to a new tank or a hospital tank if I need. Cycle completed lastnight. I cycled it to 2ppm ammonia.. This is where I'm at now. Pics to come!

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This was the first time filled and ammonia added. I was going to use the pots for caves for the 2 female apistogramma. Until further reading I learned they need to be apart. But original setup.

Attachments

Dan12boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rcslade124 said:
This was the first time filled and ammonia added. I was going to use the pots for caves for the 2 female apistogramma. Until further reading I learned they need to be apart. But original setup.
Looks like a really nice and simple setup. I'll be following the build. Also are apistogrammas your final choice?

CrazedHoosier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just recently upgraded from a 29 gallon to a 40 gallon. Don’t underrate the 29 gallon! They showcase fish really well! I’m excited to see your build. It’s looking really nice already.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Then found rocks I added to the tank. And position like this. And finished the cycle.

Attachments

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes apistogramma cacatuoides. I want three but will probably have to settle for 2 until females are available. Then I'm thinking 9 rummy nose tetra and maybe some cardinals or green fire tetta. Or more rummy nose.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Last post tonight to cap off the beginning of the project. Sorry to post so many in a row.I finally got my beamswork dafullspec lights tonight. Ordered plants from @Vishaquatics that will arrive in the next couple of days and I will plant and finish until I get the fish.
Ph is 6.8 kh 2 gh 8. I will add Indian almond leaves after I plant and maybe peat moss to tent up the water some. Here's where we are tonight

Attachments

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So plants arrived a day earlier than planned. They arrived beautiful. So I have to say for anyone with a planted tank I commend you that is hard. Maybe I should've gotten the planting tweezers. But most stayed down. Going to get tweezers now to finish getting everything in fingers crossed..
20191107_154914.jpg

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok most of the plants down. Fingers crossed I keep them alive. And dont judge too much it's my first time planting. So a dose of ammonia to keep cycle moving. Will start ferts in the am after a night of ammonia processing. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it looks great. I like it a lot.
What light do you have on that tank?

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Beamswork dafullspec. Its growing on me thought it looked sloppy and crowded but as I look around there is alot of open space. I just need to get a few more plants to stay down and start fertilizing them.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I'm realizing that I picked the wrong time to cycle a tank here in wv. I have been eyeballing apistogramma cacatuoides triple red for a long time. But they are always sold out of the females. And I want to wait to get the fish I want. I decided on rummy nose tetra also sold out. I am afraid to wait for either to come back in stock since the longer I wait it will be winter and might not ever get anything shipped ugh. I'd hate to have to keep adding ammonia all winter to keep cycle until spring.
Now I have looked at honsoli apistogramma and I like them or the viejita. Anyone have suggestions?

Otocinclus13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've heard that hongsloi and viejita can be more aggressive than cacatuoides, especially when breeding. They are stunning fish, but may not work as well in a community tank. :(

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't define it as an Amazon biotope, but nice planted tank, nevertheless!

As for fish, really decide you want them. I know you don't want to wait, but waiting a little longer for them to be available or fully commit on other options will be worth it.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah it's not quite amazon. Too many plants. I got plant happy lol. I have thought about darkening the water some also but I'm kinda liking the clarity. But may add peat in future. I am just set on certain apistogramma might have found some on aquabid fingers crossed.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice set up .
I kept hongsloi and they were not much tougher then caucs ..Way better looking IMO.
Aquabid has whatever apisto you want for sale everyday ...
Probably better then most pet stores especially one that does not stock common fish??

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I like the hongsloi also. Idk I just love the flame look on the tails of the red cacatuoides. Plus they get just a bit bigger. I'm talking with someone from aquabid that has some born in july. If all goes well they will be shipped next week

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so I did a final scape. I removed my rocks that i absolutely loved. But they took up alot of room and i think i needed caves for each female apistogramma to claim. So i put 2 pots back in. I put the pots so i can see inside from the front of the tank so i can see any eggs. I also had to move some plants the floating pearlweed and Japanese pennywort kept uprooting the taller plants. Moved them to other side. Hopefully the scape grows on me again.
Lastly if I add 15 cardinal tetras tomorrow and stop the feeding of ammonia will I lose that much bacteria by Wednesday to add the 3 apistogramma? Or will the bacteria be fine a couple days with less ammonia? I will be on top of parameter since I'm trying to nail ph and keep it stable.

Attachments

Nobote

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks good!

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
15-16 cardinals in transit! Small so room for some growth. Will get pics when lights on in the tank if they cooperate!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom