My 29 gal

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After getting a 10gal tank for my son (which I took over as my own...) I realized that 10 isn't enough.
I decided to get a 29gal and build a stand and sump as a fun DIY project. Here are the results.
photo.jpg
My base layer of sand (playsand from the local hardware store)
photo 3-1.jpg
The tank was used and despite my best efforts I couldn't get the stains off the top. However, they disappear when it's full so no big deal.

photo-2.jpg
I used eco-complete to fill up the back area

photo 5-3.jpg
Here it is full and cycling.

I still need to get some better lighting for it. So that I can start planting it. I have added some java moss to the wood for now.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pretty Cool, so did it take you a while to build the stand? I had the same problem with Hard water stains on a tank I got too, man that stuff is hard to get off. So what are you planning on stocking it with after it's cycled & planted?

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I spent about a month on the stand. I'm not a carpenter, and it certainly doesn't look professional, but I like it. It only took a month because I only had a few hours a week to work on it.
As far as stocking I'm not sure. I am thinking an angel fish, some live bearers and corys. Or...not.
I've got about 2 months to figure it out so suggestions are welcome.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been working on my stand for a 55 for about 3 weeks now, same thing not a lot of time to work on it. Mines going to be pretty simple flat slab everything. Way to many choices, I like Rainbows mostly, but I like angel fish too very good looking. Good Luck.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's looking fabulous! Can't wait to see it planted and full of fish.

Any thoughts on what you're stocking it with?

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What is play sand?
It is intended for use in kids sandboxes. Very cheap, $3 for 50 lbs, and has a nice non-uniform dark tan color.

That's looking fabulous! Can't wait to see it planted and full of fish.

Any thoughts on what you're stocking it with?
Like I said, I'm really not sure. Any input is welcome. As of now I think I'll move my Julii Corys from the 10gal and add an Angel fish.
Maybe more corys and some guppys, or swordtails. I just don't know.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom