My 29 gal

kayeleven

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After getting a 10gal tank for my son (which I took over as my own...) I realized that 10 isn't enough.
I decided to get a 29gal and build a stand and sump as a fun DIY project. Here are the results.
photo.jpg
My base layer of sand (playsand from the local hardware store)
photo 3-1.jpg
The tank was used and despite my best efforts I couldn't get the stains off the top. However, they disappear when it's full so no big deal.

photo-2.jpg
I used eco-complete to fill up the back area

photo 5-3.jpg
Here it is full and cycling.

I still need to get some better lighting for it. So that I can start planting it. I have added some java moss to the wood for now.

JustinF

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pretty Cool, so did it take you a while to build the stand? I had the same problem with Hard water stains on a tank I got too, man that stuff is hard to get off. So what are you planning on stocking it with after it's cycled & planted?

OP
K

kayeleven

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I spent about a month on the stand. I'm not a carpenter, and it certainly doesn't look professional, but I like it. It only took a month because I only had a few hours a week to work on it.
As far as stocking I'm not sure. I am thinking an angel fish, some live bearers and corys. Or...not.
I've got about 2 months to figure it out so suggestions are welcome.

JustinF

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been working on my stand for a 55 for about 3 weeks now, same thing not a lot of time to work on it. Mines going to be pretty simple flat slab everything. Way to many choices, I like Rainbows mostly, but I like angelfish too very good looking. Good Luck.

OP
K

kayeleven

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ayelie said:
What is play sand?
It is intended for use in kids sandboxes. Very cheap, $3 for 50 lbs, and has a nice non-uniform dark tan color.

bolivianbaby said:
That's looking fabulous! Can't wait to see it planted and full of fish.

Any thoughts on what you're stocking it with?
Like I said, I'm really not sure. Any input is welcome. As of now I think I'll move my JuliI Corys from the 10gal and add an Angel fish.
Maybe more corys and some guppys, or swordtails. I just don't know.

New Threads