My 24 Gallon Reef

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by Joey Bekius, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Joey Bekius

Joey Bekius Valued Member Member

This is my 24 gallon reef, it isnt doing that great right now but i thought i would start a build thread anyway: the tank is a jbj nanocube 24 gal. And has been running for about 10 months. My current stocking is:
    1 extreme misbar black clown (bubbles)
    1 royal gramma (gramma)
    And 1 tailspot blenny (benny)
    In the future i plan on getting a davinci clown and a pair of greenbanded gobies. For coral i have:
    1 acan
    1 hammer
    Eagle eye zoas
    Mohican sun zoas
    Mohawk zoas
    And some other zoas that i dont know the name of. I will get some pictures later

Oh yeah and for filtration i have filter sponges in the first aio compartment, chaeto and marine pure in the second, and heater and return in the third. And i also have bio balls spread out across all three compartments.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2018
  2. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds great. :) Don't be shy now... we all go through stages where the tanks aren't at their best.;) I've been a little lazy on a tank or two lately, but this crowd is pretty forgiving, so it's nice to share the struggles and the successes. Can't wait to see your tank! I think you have the same model as @Culprit 's new salty setup. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

4. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

Nice fluffy acan
    IMG_20180718_120256015_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

Grammaw fish
    IMG_20180720_151901274.jpg

6. stella1979

A beautiful fish! :p I've been thinking about one of those myself. :)

7. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

Imao pretty good fish, but occasionally bossy

8. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

Thanks btw

9. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

Pretty much the only thing happening is my acan is growing a new head

10. stella1979

Well, that's great news! :) How's Grammaw? :p

11. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

All the fish are doing great

12. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well Known Member Member

Love the acan. That’s beautiful red coloring in it.

13. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

Yeah, I think it's my favorite coral so far

14. stella1979

Acans are definitely a rewarding coral. :) Are you directly feeding it? If not, I'd suggest you do.;) Not so much as to foul up the tank, but a little bit 2-3 times a week would certainly speed the rate of growth.

15. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

I do every now in then, it's been a while

16. OP
    OP
    Joey Bekius

9/28/18
    There might be some big toys coming soon! My parents are going to pay me to rebuild the roof of our outbuilding, $200, plus I have another job I'm doing for $100. I'm hoping I'll have these done before black Friday, and then maybe I'll get a ai prime, and maybe an mp10. As for the tank, it isn't doing too great. All the fish are fine, and so are the hammer and acan (the acan actually grew a 3rd head) but the zoas are getting swamped by hair and bubble algae. I'd add a picture, but it doesn't look that great, and also nothing has really changed. And also Im not at home right now. But maybe I'll get pics later

17. stella1979

Sounds awesome!

Manually remove as much hair algae as you can. You also might want to up your CUC and check your phosphates. PO4 is algae's favorite food, and you may want to look at options for PO4 reduction like ChemiPure Elite, GFO, or a phosphate reducing pad, which is what I'm running.;) No worries bud, most of us go through some uglies, and don't forget that algae is the ocean's filter. The biggest problem in our tanks is when it engulfs corals enough to upset or kill them.:(

18. xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex Well Known Member Member

what do your water parameters look like? how often do you blow off your rocks? how often do you vac the sand? like stella said algae loves nutrients and is a natural part of tanks to a certain extent due to this nutrients.

I would first test the water. Then manually remove as much as you can and wc and sand vac to drop nutrients.
    I personally use chemipure blue and seachem purigen. check the rear aio compartments for excess detritus that can fuel the algae.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice