My 24 gal new set up

Wouldratherwatchaquarium
A few weeks ago I picked up an aquaone 24 gal aquarium, stand, filter, light and heater for 50 pounds. I have had plans to do a natural scape on the lowest budget I could as I'm saving for other things whilst managing my MTS :D

Yesterday I popped to lfs and got the rocks and bogwood which cost almost as much as the tank itself. I fell in love with the granite at 3.50 pounds a kilo and got carried away. I wanted more of a driftwood effect but knowing the bogwood from the lfs is aged and sinks I went for a few big lumps of that. The live plant section at lfs is not good.. I believe I got java ferns but lady there had no idea and said they must be buried in substrate and fed liquid ferts wixh were 20 quid a bottle. I ignored her advice and got 8 pounds worth of them and when home I spent a long time tieing them to rocks in shallow dechlorinated water whilst picking off snails.

Trying to set up the hardscape was very hard for me.. I felt like I was in art class trying to make a sculpture and ended up with a scape I'm not really happy with but will do for now. With the water in and plants carefully placed I thought I would leave the tank for a day or two before starting a fish less cycle. I had to use 2 led light stripes luckily I had a spare as the one it came with was very dim. I swapped the 50w heater for a spare 100w too as that was pretty overworked.

This morning however I woke to discover 3 of my WCMM missing from my kitchen aquarium and after checking everywhere and doing wc and water test only answer is that burt the axolotol has turned on them after so many months of him taking no notice. I feel bad for whole situation but best solution it seemed to me was to do a fish in cycle using the 5 minnows in the new tank. I heavily seeded the internal filter with media from my 44gal canister and dosed prime obviously. So I have it up and running a bit rushed but here it is. Sorry turned out to be an long post that haha

I would love feedback and suggestions for scape and also if I have java ferns and have done the right thing with them. Also I am running a bag of carbon to help with the heavily tannined water. Will be checking water daily to see how the cycle goes

NofishB4
I think it looks great! Love the stone and wood

Mudminnow
I like the yellow tinted water with the wood and sand. It reminds me of a blackwater habitat. Perhaps you could go with that, add some black water extract to tint the water even more, and get some black water fishes.

Personally, I think it might look best if you left the middle part empty and placed the ferns on your hardscape on either side.

Wouldratherwatchaquarium
Mudminnow said:
I like the yellow tinted water with the wood and sand. It reminds me of a blackwater habitat. Perhaps you could go with that, add some black water extract to tint the water even more, and get some black water fishes.

Personally, I think it might look best if you left the middle part empty and placed the ferns on your hardscape on either side.
Could be an option with this leaching wood! I kinda had heart set on a river style but we will see. Yeah I am gunna move the plants, they are so fragile tied to the rocks I just left them where they are to see how they establish with the lighting and rhizomes

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

IMG_20210430_155002.jpg

IMG_20210430_155155.jpg

IMG_20210430_155148.jpg

An update on my still establishing 24 gallon. Rescaped and added some new plants today which I think are an amazon sword variety? Cycle is stable with the minnows in there. Hopefully next weekend I will rehome them, turn up the heater and get first half of a large schoal of tetras or other small schoalers.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom