My 20g And 2.7g :)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Waqas, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Waqas

WaqasNew MemberMember

After loads of help from awesome folks here on my welcome thread, I have managed to setup both by 20g and 2.7g aquariums.

My 20 g has
    - 8 Neon Tetras
    - 3 Guppies
    - 5 Zebras
    - 1 Platy
    Here are some pics:
    WhatsApp Image 2017-08-06 at 17.16.45.jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-08-06 at 17.16.39.jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-08-06 at 17.16.37.jpeg

Water's brown due to the drift wood, I like it and I have read its not harmful to the fish :) -- Still learning on the aqua-scaping bit, planning to add fern behind the drift wood in the future.

My 2.6 has a Betta in it with drift wood, Anubias tied to the drift wood, white gravel on top with fertiliser/plant food at the bottom layer, here are some pics:
    WhatsApp Image 2017-08-06 at 17.16.49.jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-08-06 at 17.16.48.jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-08-06 at 17.16.47.jpeg

Larger 20g was cycled a while ago, I did a 25% water change with new stock and all seems to be going well, perimeters under control. For the smaller tank, I seeded it using established media from the larger tank and am doing frequent water changes while keeping an eye on water quality.

Lmk what you guys think, I am super excited and am hoping to keep fish for years to come :) -- wouldn't have been possible without this community :)

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Very nice, if I can make one suggestion, a background of dark blue or black would help hide the equipment, the fish & plants tend to show up better against a plain background :)

3. OP
    OP
    Waqas

WaqasNew MemberMember

@Coradee I actually got black background today its a thick poster black on one side blue on the other :). I am leaning towards black.

Also got black sand and might change the substrate altogether to black sand as I think it would look better. Should I be careful about anything when changing substrate, its going to be a weekend thing, as I will need to move the fish to a temp tank, but anything else that needs to be considered when using sand?

4. Coradee

Just make sure you thoroughly rinse the sand & when you think it's clean then rinse it again, don't forget the update pics when it's done :)

5. OP
    OP
    Waqas

WaqasNew MemberMember

Sure thing, will do :) thanks!

6. OP
    OP
    Waqas

WaqasNew MemberMember

Quick update, added black wallpaper and sand (cleaning sand is probably the most tedious thing I have done in a while). This is what the tank looks like now:
    WhatsApp Image 2017-08-09 at 10.07.20 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-08-09 at 10.07.20.jpeg

I need couple of live plants, thinking of adding fertiliser in the substrate behind drift wood and planting a few. Any suggestions? apart from Java fern.

Thanks!

7. MusicalFishies

MusicalFishiesNew MemberMember

Wow! That's pretty! You've got a nicely shaped piece of wood!

8. OP
    OP
    Waqas

WaqasNew MemberMember

@MusicalFishies Thanks!

So I added a live plant, according to the LFS its an Amazon sword (live plants are not popular here in Aquariums) but I don't think it is. It came attached to small piece of drift wood, I have added fertiliser substrate and pushed the plant in the sand, will get root tabs as well.
    WhatsApp Image 2017-08-10 at 20.23.43.jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-08-10 at 20.23.43 (1).jpeg

Any idea what this plant might be?

9. Coradee

Wow, you've been busy, it looks great! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice