My 200 gallon...

1. rob2uk Member Member

Hey...

As some of you know, a friend of mine very kindly donated a 200 gallon tank that he didn't use.

It's *almost* cycled, but being of the 'not very creative' type, I need suggestions for a theme.

The tank is being used as a display tank in the bar area of my pub...

2. Marc Well Known Member Member

One word: Malawi. :)

3. rob2uk Member Member

I thought the same thing.

The problem is, it won't just be me taking care of the tank (I have 6 staff working for me), so I need something hard to kill...

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Is there anything that you could do that corresponds with the name or environment of your pub?

5. rob2uk Member Member

well...

the pub is called the Moderation, so probably nothing suitable from that.

It's 5 minutes walk from one of the the biggest rock festivals in the UK and 2 minutes walk from a river, so there may be something there

6. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Perhaps you could have alot of plants and rock caves and one large centerpiece rock with "The Moderation" engraved somehow into it very big. I think that sounds really cool :)

7. rob2uk Member Member

I was thinking maybe some old tat from around the pub...
    like old tankards and such...

8. Marc Well Known Member Member

Could always set up bottles and mugs to bubble :)

9. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Both of those sound really interesting ;)

Endless possibilities, especially with a 2oo gallon

10. rob2uk Member Member

Tell me about it...

I wandered round my LFS for 2 hours today. I wanted to buy EVERYTHING!

Also talked a woman who was keeping a Betta in a 1 gallon bowl to buy it a 10 gallon tank, a light, heater, live plants, etc :)

11. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

excellent Rob! That is what my betta is in, and he couldn't be happier :)

12. Marc Well Known Member Member

Yes, you can really tell how much of a personality the fish has when it isn't in a tiny container. Actually, mine showed me where 2 of my Cory lay dead, and it was pretty weird how it showed me...

13. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

How do you mean, show you?

14. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, when I walked over to the tank it swam frantically around the dead fish and kept looking back and forth between me and the cory :eek:

15. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Rob sounds terribly exciting. Just a note though, don't put anything metal (like metal mugs) How about all kinds of caves and one with a little sign over it with the pubs name on it.
    Cichlids are really hard to kill so theres one suggestion. Hum... Would be gorgeous with Discus in it too. ...and Angels ...and...... aaarrrggghhh i would be crazy by now!!!! Have fun and keep us posted.
    Carol

16. jim55379 Member Member

I am Jealous If I had a 200 I would get a shark. LoL. Must be about 8 foot long.??? I hope it has cement floor to it. Would weigh over 2000 pounds. That's amazing. How about some bala sharks, pict cats, and some irradant sharks. It's really endless what you could do with this. LIVE plants of course?

17. RoboDude Member Member

Yeah, I'd probably get some schooling fish such as Tiger Barbs, Rosy Barbs, a mixture of Leopard and Danios, and such. Or I'd get fish like Clown Loaches, Bala Sharks, Oscars, and Discus. I'd also add a Common Pleco! Great news! Congrats!

18. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

sounds like fun what about a pirhana and you could have feeding times to attract people or an oscar and do the same thing and you could get a common pleco

19. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

for a pirhana it would have to be legal in the UK

20. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

o ya sorry

you could get a big school of guppies mabye 25 and 25 plattys 25 swordtails 25 endlers 10 or so corys couple bristlenose plecos and a couple angels to keep the babys undercontrol then put a sunken ship with your pubs name engraved on it and make the tank look like a sunken ship yard or something like taht