My 20 Gallon Long

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Katestanks02, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Katestanks02

Katestanks02Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +82
    Experience:
    1 year
    22671C24-0314-41A7-B104-B650FE9B0479.
    2ECE9FAA-DFC0-46AE-BED9-5DC9812A9C77.

This is my 20 long that houses my female Koi Betta (she’s mostly black now), Cherry barbs, otocinclus, Amano shrimp, Nerite snails, and a baby mystery snail. I love this tank, it recently had a major rescape. I don’t scrape the glass in this tank just so the otos have something to graze on throughout the day.
    I used an African Cichlid substrate and eco complete. (My ph drops if I don’t buffer it), Dragon stone, and Spider wood. My lights are just led shop lights. I have multiple tanks in my basement causing all the glare on this tank.

There’s pogostemon stellatus octopus, Anubis barteri, a couple small crypts(they melted when I rescaped the tank), Java Moss, frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, and scarlet temple.

This is my 4th time trying the scarlet temple, I keep killing it...I just added this one in yesterday, it miraculously was surviving in a plant holding tank still in the rock wool pot. So I figured I’d try it again. If anyone has any tips on this plant, do let me know.

My Betta is named Phoebe. I had a huge scare with her a few months ago. My tank used to not have a lid and I’d keep the water level lower. I added the Amano shrimp in and I’m guessing they may have startled her. After I added them I was upstairs for a while and came down to check on them and couldn’t find Phoebe anywhere. I looked behind the tank on the floor and she had jumped out. I thought she was already dead but saw her move. I quickly got her in a breeder box in one of my qt tanks. She made a full recovery and is now back in her tank with a very snug lid. Now when I feed her she does a little jump for her food and I just think “did you not learn your lesson?”
    I’m still surprised by how resilient they are. She’s my favorite of my three Bettas.

2. JacksAquariums

JacksAquariumsNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Hey man! This is like 5 minutes after I joined Fishlore but I just wanted to say great tank! Keep on scaping bro

3. OP
    OP
    Katestanks02

Ratings:
    +82
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks! Welcome to fishlore.

4. Kathryn Crook

Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,205
    Experience:
    3 years
    7FB63333-E32A-4D4A-9C5A-CBED819D4662. Beautiful! I just rescaped my 20 gallon long. Its for CPO crays and shrimp (they are in a temp tote till this tank is ready) I really like your jungle look. Not too overgrown and very nice to show off your fish!

5. OP
    OP
    Katestanks02

Ratings:
    +82
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks! I love all the terra-cotta in your tank. I’ve never kept crayfish before.

6. wrs2

wrs2Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +713
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Nice tank! No co2?

For me, with scarlet temple, I just put it in a aquarium with miracle grow soil and it does great. No co2 or anything crazy in terms of lights. Just some cheap clip-on from Walmart. I think the soil really helped it do so well.

7. OP
    OP
    Katestanks02

Ratings:
    +82
    Experience:
    1 year
    No co2 I’m not that advanced lol. Maybe I’ll put some root tabs next to them. Thanks!

8. Kathryn Crook

Ratings:
    +1,205
    Experience:
    3 years
    The CPO mini crays are really neat! They dont get as big or aggressive as the other crays and they are very C73D9595-326B-4476-A144-FE4A18FE3115.D002E727-2313-4C6B-87AF-3E890D7EA6A4. showy and extroverted. Im hooked!

9. OP
    OP
    Katestanks02

Ratings:
    +82
    Experience:
    1 year
    Oh my gosh, the one in the rock is so cute. Can you keep them with fish since they’re not as aggressive?

10. Kathryn Crook

Ratings:
    +1,205
    Experience:
    3 years
    Maybe with small fish. Their babies are quite small as you would expect so, again, if you want a nice colony, probably best not too. These crays can be aggressive towards each other though without enough hides and space and spread out food.

11. OP
    OP
    Katestanks02

Ratings:
    +82
    Experience:
    1 year
    They are really neat. Maybe a future tank project lol.