My 1st spawn was a success!

Discussion in 'Martinismommy' started by Martinismommy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

I had 2 of my pairs in their spawning tanks....The red dragons and my Blueberry pair (Shannon) The red dragon girls eggs fell out without him wrapping her and she ate them all! The good news is my Blueberry pairs spawn went off like picture perfect! There is not even one nick or bite on either one of them! They are still spawning as I write this...I am so excited I can barely stand it right now.....

I'll post pictures as soon as they are done..I even got a short video clip I'll post...

Here are the proud parents!

Attached Files:

2. MinxMermaidWell Known MemberMember

Leave to the Red girl to just want the lovin' without the consequences:;smack

3. agsansooWell Known MemberMember

Congrats ! :D

4. pinkfloydpufferFishlore VIPMember

Oh, that's so exciting! Congratulations :)

5. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

They beat the out of each other too and for nothing!

Here are some of my spawning photos....This is what they call the "embrace"

Also a short clip of the eggs dropping...He is doing a great job putting them in the nest...

Attached Files:

6. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

I don't know why there are doubles of the still shots above..Sorry lol

7. pinkfloydpufferFishlore VIPMember

Oh, I'm so excited for you!

8. PandoraValued MemberMember

Congratulations!! :;rocker

9. shellbell4everWell Known MemberMember

OMG!!!Karen I am so Jealous... But Excited for you!!!There going to make beautiful babies Please keep us posted on the progress OK :)

10. isisWell Known MemberMember

Oh wow!! that is sooo cool!

congrads!

11. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

Thank you all for your support.....Now the hard part begins......Pandora can you guide me through the next few days please?

12. pamdWell Known MemberMember

How miraculous! Congratulations! :;th

That's all right. I'll bet I'm not the only one who found them so fascinating that I wanted to look at them at least twice anyway!

13. PandoraValued MemberMember

Any questions I'll be happy to answer!

The next few days are actually the easiest... right now the lil ones are their dad's problem. As long as he's tending and doesn't suddenly seem full in the belly all you have to do is keep an eye on things. By tomorrow or the next day, depending on how could his nest is, there may be eggs raining down constantly and a very harried male betta. This, as well as right after spawning, seem to be the danger times for egg eating. Before long the eggs will turn into fry and there'll be little tails hanging down from the nest. They tend to stick up in there better once they get to that point. Some will fall, but they start swimming themselves back up a bit, and usually dad eats any that aren't making the cut. By 3 days from now most of them will have righted themselves and be startign to leave the nest. You can take dad out then, or leave him for another day or 2, but they don't need him anymore once they can swim! That's also when you get to start feeding.
    What foods do you have for the fry? Your feeding schedule depends on what you have available. Generally, if you have anythign smaller than baby brine, start with that the first day, and get your baby brine hatching to begin feeding small amounts. Just give a little bit at first, and once they're eating it well you'll see their bellies swell big and bright orange, and you can start increasing the brine shrimp to keep them nice and full!

I hope that helps some... like I said, any questions don't be afraid to ask! I've been there, I know how nerve-wracking the first few spawns are lol.

Very excited for you :D

14. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

Thank you Pandora...Can I use frozen baby brine shrimp? They are tiny tiny..I was also going to try the hard boiled egg yolk.....When do I do a water change on the tank?

Here is Shannon 10 minutes after I pulled her out of the spawning tank...She is so amazing! I didn't want to spawn her because she is such a little doll.....I was so afraid she would get tore up.....I still can't believe neither one of them ever took a nip!

Now here is the other part that may blow your mind....I put her in the tank by herself last night....I introduced the male this morning....I just put him right in....He started blowing bubbles and within 45 minutes they were embracing...I sure hope the fry make it because this could be a breeders dream come true....I have never heard of a gentle loving spawning!

Attached Files:

15. PandoraValued MemberMember

I've had one pair so far that have been that kind to me and to one another (mom and dad of my marbles!) It's nice when a pair has chemistry... they're a lot like people that way. If they're really compatible, everything goes along smoothly... if they just don't like each other it gets ugly. I've often wondered what would happen if they got to choose their own partners instead of us throwing them together based on what we want! Probably a lot easier, gentler spawning (and ugly babies lol) I'm so glad you had a nice easy time, I know you were nervous about your lil guys getting hurt!

I haven't had much luck with frozen baby brine shrimp. I know some breeders have though. Go ahead and try... sometimes it seems they need the stimulation of something swimming to get them eating. You can try replicating that my thawing the shrimp in some water beforehand, then swirling them gently into the water column. If you're able to get them, it might be a good idea to have some brine shrimp eggs on hand in case they're not eating though. What I've heard can work really well is to start them on the live baby brine, and start mixing the frozen in... the swimming shrimp get the feeding response going, and they learn that the frozen are food too so you can wean them off the live, but of course by the time I found that out never could find the frozen again, lol. If you really can't find any eggs, I can send you a bit to get you started. I get a big can every year or 2 since they're much cheaper that way than in the small amounts you can get in most pet stores.

16. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

Here is a photo of the bubble nest 8 hours after spawning....From what I've been told the white ares are the eggs that are fertilized...The clear bubbles are just bubbles....Am I correct Pandora?

The Dad is sitting under the nest and all seems to be going good......Food.....Oh nooooooooooo now I need to perpare the food for the fry! I'm so nervous right now....

Attached Files:

17. MissMTSFishlore VIPMember

Oh my gosh Karen, I am so excited for you! You must be so happy right now. I hope that the babies make it :) Please keep us posted on your progress. If everything is a sucess are you going to sell the babies (obviously not until they are a few months old)? I would love to buy one from you :)

18. ShaynaBWell Known MemberMember

AWWWWWWWWWWW BABIES!!

Congratulations! What an undertaking!! I hope it turns out great for you. Don't be too nervous!

19. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

If I am lucky enough to get some live babies that make it until they are old enough to sell of course you are welcome to buy one...I will be shipping my Daughters boyfriend one to San Deigo when they are ready..He is the one I told you about when you were looking to place some of yours.....He has been waiting for me to breed him a baby....lol....

Cross your fingers all goes well....I'm going to love these little ones so very much!

20. MinxMermaidWell Known MemberMember

OOOOOO!!! how FASCINATING!!!! i luv it, i love it!!!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

i hope your boy will be a GOOD DAD!!!