My 1st planted tank

MetLife

Hey y'all!!
I am sure there is probably a thread for this already but I really need some help, and I kind of have 2 questions lol.
I was given a 55 gallon tank for my birthday a few months ago and its finally cycled!! Im so excited!! I want it to be a planted tank. I know fake plants are so much easier but there is something about a beautifully planted tank!!
I knew I was getting this tank a few months before I actually got it, so I started making plans right away lol. I had drift wood with java moss attached in my 20 gallon that i moved to my 55, and was given a sword and el nino fern. I put in root tabs for the sword but was told the fern would need some kind of liquid fert and it would also help the moss. The sword lloks amazing and has 3 new shoots. But I'm so confused on liquid ferts. Ive read flourish is good but theres different kinds and im not sure what I need. Ive also read that you should start flourish with half doses and work your way up. I also have 2 yoyo loaches in there that I do not want to hurt, they are such awesome little (not so much anymore lol) guys. Please help me!!!!

Now for 2nd question lol sorry this is so long!!
I saw zebra loaches at my local petco, came home researched them and decided I wanted some for my 20 gallon. Went back 3 days later, and brought home what i thought were zebra loaches...really I brought home a zebra and a yoyo. I didnt realize it was a yoyo (it was small and hadnt grown into his stripes yet) until after my 14 day return window was up. Once I realized and researched yoyos, I knew if I wanted to keep him he would soon need a bigger home. Well the zebra died the next day but the yoyo is a survivor. I got another yoyo, so I then had Lloyd and Harry. Even tho I couldnt tell you which one is which lol. They were moved today from the 20 to the 55, and let me tell you those 2 came alive!! I think they are really happy in their new home. I also have 3 platy in there. They are the only 3 survivors from a batch of platy fry in my 20 gallon. But I really want this tank to shine, what can I add that will get a long with my loaches and make the tank shine? And can I add more yoyos? They have quickly won me over . Again I am so sorry for this long drawn out post lol but thank you in advance for all the help!!

awilkinson871

I can help with the fertilizer. Flourish isnt great. You want an all-in-one that contains micro and macro nutrients. You will probably have to order it- look at thrive, aquarium co-op, easy green, etc. Just make sure it has more than just 3 nutrients. If your tank only has a few plants you may not really need any liquid or you should dose a very small amount. The bioload from the fish will also serve as fertilizer up until the plant amount is too high.

Cody

Hello!

As for the plants. Both of those should be fairly hardy and undemanding. The sword will be able to uptake nutrients through broth the water column and the roots. The fern will purely feed through the water column. As the tabs dissolve some of that will make its way into the water column as well but liquid ferts will be more effective.

I would recommend getting a different All in one Fertiler. Like Thrive c, Easy Green, UNS, APT, etc. lots of choices beyond that as well. Flourish works but the issue that Seachem doesn’t have a truck “all in one” they have a flourish line that to requires you to buy several bottles to get a true balance of all the nutrients you need. So in the long run it is both more work and costly to use the Seachem line. Planted tanks can be be intimidating but, if you start slow and easy you will find it’s not too bad. It’s all about balance. I would definitely start with half doses of any fertilizer, half of what they recommend for low tech. And let things settle in, especially with what you have for plants right now. Your regimen will be fairly minimal.

Also do you have any special lighting? If your plants are doing well now you may be fine. But there’s always a benefit to a quality light source. But this doesn’t mean it has to be super fancy either. A lot of this depends on what your future plans are too. Not pushing this at alll, but always something good to think about!

As for the loaches, of course you can add more and I encourage it. Like most fish, they will thrive and be more active the bigger school there in, this seems especially true with loaches from my experience!

You kind of have a blank slate right now. I’m a sucker for a couple things. I love big schools. There’s something awesome about seeing 20 tetras schooling in a tank. Also look into different Rainbow fish varieties. They are a really active and fun species of fish with lots of variety. I would try to find some the of smaller species that stay under 4in- this would be more suitable for your tank. Some get fairly large and would limit the size school your could put in the tank.

MetLife

I can help with the fertilizer. Flourish isnt great. You want an all-in-one that contains micro and macro nutrients. You will probably have to order it- look at thrive, aquarium co-op, easy green, etc. Just make sure it has more than just 3 nutrients. If your tank only has a few plants you may not really need any liquid or you should dose a very small amount. The bioload from the fish will also serve as fertilizer up until the plant amount is too high.
Awesome, I will look into those. Do you anything about so nino ferns? The tube it came in said to bury roots but online said tp the it to driftwood/rock. Want to make sure i do it right.

CrackerboxPalace

You should leave the rhizome out of the substrate, attach it to something so that it stays down though.

MetLife

Hello!

As for the plants. Both of those should be fairly hardy and undemanding. The sword will be able to uptake nutrients through broth the water column and the roots. The fern will purely feed through the water column. As the tabs dissolve some of that will make its way into the water column as well but liquid ferts will be more effective.

I would recommend getting a different All in one Fertiler. Like Thrive c, Easy Green, UNS, APT, etc. lots of choices beyond that as well. Flourish works but the issue that Seachem doesn’t have a truck “all in one” they have a flourish line that to requires you to buy several bottles to get a true balance of all the nutrients you need. So in the long run it is both more work and costly to use the Seachem line. Planted tanks can be be intimidating but, if you start slow and easy you will find it’s not too bad. It’s all about balance. I would definitely start with half doses of any fertilizer, half of what they recommend for low tech. And let things settle in, especially with what you have for plants right now. Your regimen will be fairly minimal.

Also do you have any special lighting? If your plants are doing well now you may be fine. But there’s always a benefit to a quality light source. But this doesn’t mean it has to be super fancy either. A lot of this depends on what your future plans are too. Not pushing this at alll, but always something good to think about!

As for the loaches, of course you can add more and I encourage it. Like most fish, they will thrive and be more active the bigger school there in, this seems especially true with loaches from my experience!

You kind of have a blank slate right now. I’m a sucker for a couple things. I love big schools. There’s something awesome about seeing 20 tetras schooling in a tank. Also look into different Rainbow fish varieties. They are a really active and fun species of fish with lots of variety. I would try to find some the of smaller species that stay under 4in- this would be more suitable for your tank. Some get fairly large and would limit the size school your could put in the tank
Hello!

You kind of have a blank slate right now. I’m a sucker for a couple things. I love big schools. There’s something awesome about seeing 20 tetras schooling in a tank. Also look into different Rainbow fish varieties. They are a really active and fun species of fish with lots of variety. I would try to find some the of smaller species that stay under 4in- this would be more suitable for your tank. Some get fairly large and would limit the size school your could put in the tank.
I cant wait to get more.loaches!! I felt bad only having 2 but I knew soon enough they would be in a bigger tank that would allow more friends for them. I will definitely look into rainbow fish. I'll probably go with Thrive, ive heard good things about it from different people. Ive had a bottle of Flourish for a few days, I was td its all I needed. Im very cautious about what im putting in my tanks, so thank you for the help.
You should leave the rhizome out of the substrate, attach it to something so that it stays down thou
Thats what I did, used fishing line and tied it to a rock

Karmie121506

Hey y'all!!
I am sure there is probably a thread for this already but I really need some help, and I kind of have 2 questions lol.
I was given a 55 gallon tank for my birthday a few months ago and its finally cycled!! Im so excited!! I want it to be a planted tank. I know fake plants are so much easier but there is something about a beautifully planted tank!!
I knew I was getting this tank a few months before I actually got it, so I started making plans right away lol. I had drift wood with java moss attached in my 20 gallon that i moved to my 55, and was given a sword and el nino fern. I put in root tabs for the sword but was told the fern would need some kind of liquid fert and it would also help the moss. The sword lloks amazing and has 3 new shoots. But I'm so confused on liquid ferts. Ive read flourish is good but theres different kinds and im not sure what I need. Ive also read that you should start flourish with half doses and work your way up. I also have 2 yoyo loaches in there that I do not want to hurt, they are such awesome little (not so much anymore lol) guys. Please help me!!!!

Now for 2nd question lol sorry this is so long!!
I saw zebra loaches at my local petco, came home researched them and decided I wanted some for my 20 gallon. Went back 3 days later, and brought home what i thought were zebra loaches...really I brought home a zebra and a yoyo. I didnt realize it was a yoyo (it was small and hadnt grown into his stripes yet) until after my 14 day return window was up. Once I realized and researched yoyos, I knew if I wanted to keep him he would soon need a bigger home. Well the zebra died the next day but the yoyo is a survivor. I got another yoyo, so I then had Lloyd and Harry. Even tho I couldnt tell you which one is which lol. They were moved today from the 20 to the 55, and let me tell you those 2 came alive!! I think they are really happy in their new home. I also have 3 platy in there. They are the only 3 survivors from a batch of platy fry in my 20 gallon. But I really want this tank to shine, what can I add that will get a long with my loaches and make the tank shine? And can I add more yoyos? They have quickly won me over . Again I am so sorry for this long drawn out post lol but thank you in advance for all the help!!
Flourish is good but I think it put my ph in a rlly bad position. My plants grow a ton though with it and you don't need the c02 boost or what ever it is called. Everyone in my tank is really healthy tho despite that bad ph. I have bettas, platies, neons, and a s.a.e.

Q#2: I don't know what those are.lol good luck

PAcanis

Karmie121506 , what do you mean by "a bad way"?
Is your ph too high or too low?

I use Flourish. It's what the shop had. I want to know what to look for.
I'm surprised my ph is always in the high seven's. So it's not what I would call bad... but it's not middling either.

Karmie121506

My ph is in the low 6.0
Karmie121506 , what do you mean by "a bad way"?
Is your ph too high or too low?

I use Flourish. It's what the shop had. I want to know what to look for.
I'm surprised my ph is always in the high seven's. So it's not what I would call bad... but it's not middling either.

PAcanis

Low. Thanks.
I just tested both my tanks, one is still getting Flourish, and they are both at 7.4.
But I'm still going to switch to Thrive.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BristlenoseCatfish
Replies
Views
AndEEss
Replies
Views
MetLife
Replies
Views