My 1st Mystery egg clutch!

1. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Shoechaser (gold mystery) finally laid eggs! The dad is one of my purple mysteries. It's a small clutch and I think I can handle it. Is there anything I need to do or are they in a good spot where they are?

IMG_20160625_072940690.jpg

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats!
    When I had mysteries, I would squirt the clutch 2 times a day with tank water to keep them moist.
    If you don't and there is not enough water splashing from the filter, it will dry out quickly.

Expect to see some babies around 10-16 days - keep an eye out for the dark spots on the eggs to tell if they are fertile and developing.

My girl used to lay massive eggs and I have had to on a few occasions "cut" the clutch open so everyone can get out. You can use a butter knife for that.

Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Uhoh. I thought that the lid would keep enough humidity in so that it wouldn't dry out! I was at work all day:( I just squirted it with tank water. Hope I'm not too late!

ACK! Junne! She laid another one. It's bigger. I also found one that I think she laid first. I thought it was just bubbles from the filter because it's really tiny but no, it's a tiny mass of eggs. I suspect that adding the oyster shells to the tank triggered this egg-laying frenzy!

4. Junne

Wow! Sounds like there will be lots of babies in your future....... Once they start laying them, they don't stop ( in my experience ) :)

5. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

LOL! I lifted the lid to feed the fish this morning and was confronted with an mass in a very interesting place:p

How on earth did she get up there?!
    IMG_20160627_074448716_HDR.jpg

6. Junne

:;laughing:eek::;laughing

7. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

I'm going to stop spritzing the egg masses with water. As you can see by the dripping lid it's quite humid under there and at this rate I'm going to be overrun with mysteries if they all hatch!

It's hard to tell but that thing is right in the middle of the lid!!!
    Junne, Mom2some: UGH the newest and biggest egg mass that was laid in the middle of the lid has disappeared:( It was there when I lay down for a siesta (ok, I was having a panic attack, long story) but gone when I got up. I searched frantically all through the plants in the tank but it's nowhere to be seen:'(

8. Junne

Oh no! Well if you find it, just cut out a piece of styrofoam from a cup and float it on that until they hatch. I've had clutches fall down before - overmisting can cause that ( and can cause the eggs to mold ) so if you are getting enough moisture from himidity, it should be fine.

It must be somewhere in there?????? Fish can get to them but it takes awhile! Good luck!

9. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

There's also a bamboo shrimp in there who I found in the vicinity of where it must have fallen. I got up on a step stool to look down into the tank and everything. Nothing:(

10. Junne

its got to be in there somewhere - the eggs will not disintegrate that quickly and unless you have hungry barbs or chiclids, they will be in there somewhere. Hope you find it....

11. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

I found it!!! I had to lift up the plants in there and I couldn't see it until I pulled the last one out if the way. I hope it wasn't submerged too long! I was really surprised though at the texture. I expected it to be soft and squishy but it was hard as a rock! It's sitting on an island of styrofoam now:)

12. Junne

Glad you found it........ Hope it does okay.......... I know its happened to me and the one that fell in my tank was probably in there for a good few hours and they survived.

Glad your fish didn't go at them :mad: my barbs at the time were playing bocci ball with mine :mad:

13. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

LOL! The only fish big enough to swallow an egg that size is my Angel. I think the bamboo shrimp is only able to eat tiny things and same goes for the tetras. I don't think any of them would have what it takes to break that mass apart luckily!

14. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

So please tell me more about this floating it in styrofoam please!

15. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

You just take a piece of styrofoam, half a styrofoam cups for example, and place the egg mass on top. I used a chunk of styrofoam from a cooler I broke. It's a good way to keep track of the eggs and ensure they don't fall into the tank;)

16. Junne

Yes thats it! what I used to do to take a step further ( when I was raising mystery snails in my main tank ) was take the clutch down ( purposely ) and lay it on a piece of styrofoam INSIDE a floating net breeder. This way, then the snails were born, the would fall in to the breeder and not in the mouths of hungry fish. I also fed them this way so that they ate and the rest of the fish weren't all over the food.

If you plan on keeping them and raising them, I would suggest this method.

17. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Awesome! I have to get a net breeder now. I only vaguely understood the next steps. Thanks for filling in my knowledge:)

18. Junne

This is the breeder I use ( right now is used to trap the baby pleco's so I can take them to the lfs ) but you get the idea....

20160609_174049.jpg