My 1st attempt at breeding 3 spot gourami

swapnils
I'm trying my 1st attempt to breed the 3 spot gourami.

I have set up the tank and introduced the female alone.....i'll condition her....but for how long I don't know:-\

the female has enuf places to hide.....

now wat to do???

swapnils
guess wat I can see gourami blowing out bubbles from his mouth on the surface which I think he is making the nest.....and female periodically comes near to those bubbles.

he takes in water n by opening his mouth open for a while and forms bubbles

I hope he is sure making the nest.:-\

swapnils
yesterday night he build a nest of arnd 4" x 1" arnd the vegetation so is that enuf or will he build more??? and shld I stop them feeding till the spawn??

fordtrannyman
Keep us posted swapnils. I'm attemping my first spawn in a day or two.

Stradius011
I'm afraid I do not have experiences with these gouramis but hopefully these links will help:

swapnils
my male is really lethargic....he builds the nest at time n rests the whole day....his colour is not bright(light blue). he is not even aggressive with the female....wat does this behaviour indicate???

thx,
rgrds

swapnils
I gave up and thinking that I may try after a week or two.

swapnils
btw as I have never bred any fish I wanna know how does gourami eggs are.....I mean how can I recognise that they have spawned???

COBettaCouple
you'll see tiny dots in the bubbles when they've blown the eggs into the nest.

swapnils
As told earlier in my previous post...I kept the pair 2gether for 4-5 days and the male built nest and after 2-3days I noticed some white kind of thing which seems to be eggs in the nest. After asking some experts they said those are fungused eggs.

So I removed the female and kept her in my hospital tank to recover from stress. Next day after I returned from college and saw that the male had built a huge nest...bigger than the previous one (almost half of the tank is full of nest). Now wat should I do??? Should I try to make breed them again or give them some time to recover...?

COBettaCouple
i'm not sure on gourami, but i've heard it's best to limit bettas to 1 spawning a month. but gourami could be different even if they're in the same family as bettas.

swapnils
hmm. ok as I got my exams till 26 nov now.....so I'll try after that....till then I'll feed them well and keep them happy

swapnils
2day just while enjoying my fish tank after dinner I noticed that my blue gourami (1 of the 2 males, had 4 2 male 2 female, 1 female died) was building a nest. Out of the two 1 male is more aggressive than the other 1. He chases off other blue gourami male if he comes near his territory. the other male is less aggressive. Even he is trying to make nest but not that dedicated. When they both come face to face they change dark in colour. The female has nipped fins at tail. My tank size is 30 x 12 x 15, I got spare tank of size 24 x 12 x 15. As I have my board exams I can't think of breeding them right now though I am on study leave. My exams will get over on 26th nov.
Can I try to breed them after that???

thx,
regards

COBettaCouple
yes.. and they may need to be seperated at some point. If you have liquid vitamins to add to the water, it could help speed up the healing of torn fins.

swapnils
hi, finally I was successful in breeding my 3 spot gourami. I conditiond the female for 1 week. Lowered the water level to 6.5" added lot of anacharis plants and introduced the male after 2 hours. 3days after I saw my gourami spawning. I have added the blue liquid to prevent fungus attack. What more precautions I should take??

How many days will it take for eggs to hatch, I don't have a heater??
Can I feed liquid fry food??
As I had no hopes of success I din prepare infusoria.

COBettaCouple
The eggs should hatch within 2 days and the fry will be free swimming within 2 days after that.

A heater will be helpful as the fry like the water a little warmer than the adults. Liquid vitamins would help too.

They could eat crushed food, baby brine shrimp, crushed boiled egg yolks or liquid fry food. Just a small amount 4 times a day at first.

fordtrannyman
hi, finally I was successful in breeding my 3 spot gourami. I conditiond the female for 1 week. Lowered the water level to 6.5" added lot of anacharis plants and introduced the male after 2 hours. 3days after I saw my gourami spawning. I have added the blue liquid to prevent fungus attack. What more precautions I should take??

How many days will it take for eggs to hatch, I don't have a heater??
Can I feed liquid fry food??
As I had no hopes of success I din prepare infusoria.

Congrats on the spawn!
CBC is right! You will have better success with a heater, and keeping the tank covered to retain heat.

Here is link to my recent spwan;

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
Jaquatic
Replies
Views
puffer boi
Top Bottom