Mansoboy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all!

This is my first aquarium:
Marina 20 gallon high
Fluval C3
Stock led 4.5W (I'll have on tuesday +2*7.4W 5050 SMD led to enhance plants health)
Plant substrate
Weekly 20% change,
25-26C°, no2=0, no3=15, GH=10, KH=7, PH=7

IMG_20200401_202332.jpgIMG_20200401_202343.jpg
Did a 1 month cycle with plants. Then, introduced per week 3 male platys, 3 male guppys, 1 SAE and 6 CPD.. the last ones were in bad shape, came directly from the distributor. They had dropsy and sunken belly. As SAE got sick too and 2 CPDs died, my LFS told me to return them back to take care properly. It was hard to see fishes go down..luckily my LFS is a really nice guy and take care of them!
After that, did 2 weeks reset with only a Pleco and 2 weeks ago introduced 8 cardinals. I really like them, but they are so shy, everytime we move they go back. Platys and guppys were so active!

I've discarted CPD (I love them, but was a bad experience), also platys (they were so bully, 2vs1 all day!). Want to introduce a bigger, peaceful centerpiece top layer fish to support cardinals and also get some lovely corydora. Something like:

-1 or 2 Honey Gourami (seems easier/peaceful than betta, ramirezis or peacocks)
-8 to 10 Cardinal tetras
-4 to 6 pigmy Corys
-1 pleco (thinking of changing to 2-4 Otos, pleco poops a lot!!!)

What do you think? Overstocked?

Other Stock ideas will be appreciated : )

Many thanks!!

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Plecos don't belong in 20 gallon. Make sure to do at least 6 corys. Other than that I think you are fine, but that depends on what else is in the tank already.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, welcome to fishlore lovely setup :D

As for stock I would get between 2 and 5 Honey Gourami, they’re quite social so the more the merrier.
8 to 10 Cardinals and 8 to 10 Pygmy Corydoras.
Id say make the swap, although Otos are notorious for being hard to keep alive.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mansoboy said:
8 cardinal tetra and 1 BN pleco
rehome the BN, instead I would get either. A clown pleco or wait a few months and add 2-4 ottos (they like an established tank).
so eventually your stocking should be
3 honey gourami— they do better in groups
8 cardinal tetras
10 Pygmy corries- they need at least 10 to be comfortable.
and a clown pleco or 2-4 ottos eventually.

OP
M

Mansoboy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the answers! So, will rehome the BN pleco in some weeks, he is young and small now and I like him. Then in some months will try with the otos. About the rest, some doubts:
-3 HG: 1 male and 2 female? I think I'm not into breeding by now.. and 3 males in a 20 gallon high will get problems. They need to be in groups?
-8 Cardinal tetras ok, already have them
-10 pigmy corys: 10 seems to much for this aquarium?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mansoboy said:
3 HG: 1 male and 2 female? I think I'm not into breeding by now.. and 3 males in a 20 gallon high will get problems. They need to be in groups?
1 male 2 females would be best but Honey Gourami are usually very peaceful, to the point males will coexist however keeping more females usually creates more of a harmony.
They are very social so keeping a group is always recommended :D

OP
M

Mansoboy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jinjerJOSH22 said:
1 male 2 females would be best but Honey Gourami are usually very peaceful, to the point males will coexist however keeping more females usually creates more of a harmony.
They are very social so keeping a group is always recommended :D
Nice to hear! Had a bad experience with bullying Platys, to the point I find myself knocking on the glass to separate them‍♂

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mansoboy said:
Nice to hear! Had a bad experience with bullying Platys, to the point I find myself knocking on the glass to separate them‍♂
Male Honeys will typically chase or spar but rarely will anything come of it.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mansoboy said:
Thanks for all the answers! So, will rehome the BN pleco in some weeks, he is young and small now and I like him. Then in some months will try with the otos. About the rest, some doubts:
-3 HG: 1 male and 2 female? I think I'm not into breeding by now.. and 3 males in a 20 gallon high will get problems. They need to be in groups?
-8 Cardinal tetras ok, already have them
-10 pigmy corys: 10 seems to much for this aquarium?
They won’t just breed, unless they have great conditions, even with the tiny chance they do, you can just remove the nest.

pygmy corries need groups of 10 to thrive, and they are TINY so 10 is no problem.

OP
M

Mansoboy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CoryFan said:
They won’t just breed, unless they have great conditions, even with the tiny chance they do, you can just remove the nest.

pygmy corries need groups of 10 to thrive, and they are TINY so 10 is no problem.
Nice!! What about tank conditions for these guys? Is ok for all of them to set temp at 77? Probably in summer will up to 79.

Also PH and GH, seems that cardinal tetra request lower values. All of them will be ok with PH 7,2 GH 7, KH6?

OP
M

Mansoboy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've received and installed the new LTRGBW LED lights, also the Nicrew timer with sunrise/sunset. From 4,5W to 20W, +- 500 lumens to 2000, what a change! Here some photos in case someone is interested on upgrading lights with opaque cover:
IMG_20200407_190055.jpgIMG_20200407_190105.jpgIMG_20200407_190121.jpg

OP
M

Mansoboy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all!

I've changed the title of the thread to a follow up of my first aquarium.

Hope you enjoy the evolution, feedback is wellcome :)

Yesterday just changed the position of the driftwood sticking some moss on it. Also added some stones and some Vallisneria. I'm happy with this set up, beginning to be a entry level aquascape!! Next steps will be to add more moss.

IMG_20200410_104522.jpg
IMG_20200410_104531.jpg
IMG_20200410_104559.jpg
On the fish side, now I'm with 8 Cardinal tetra and 1 BN pleco. Definetly will rehome the pleco in next weeks and add 2-4 otos in some months, when the aquarium is more mature.

I want to add 8 pygmy corys, 8 yellow fire Neocaridine and i think there will be some free space. Thinking about adding +4 cardinal or +8 ember tetra. I'm thinking about it, on one site (+ 4 Cardinal), the more cardinal the better behaviour of them. On the other (+8 ember tetra), the blue-red-yellow contrast in the green planted tank will be really nice. What do you think? Other mini red fish options? CPDs are discarded due my previous bad experience..

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like the rescape, it looks good. I would just add a few more cardinals though. While ember tetras are nice and small, there’s just not really enough room in a 20 high for two separate schools in the same part of the tank.

Nikao

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you guys think he needs a deeper substrate with all those plants? Deeper than 1.5 inches?

OP
M

Mansoboy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There is 1-2cm of plant substrate under the gravel, covering all the planted zone. Do you think plants will need more substrate?

Vallisnerias are the ones that are suffering. The core of them turned black and some died. I add generic fertilizer every week (10 ml, recommended dosage) and some root pills under gravel. I'm trying to maintain them above the gravel, just some roots down.

OP
M

Mansoboy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there!

I've just ordered 4 cardinal tetra, 8 pygmy corys and 6 Neocaridine Yellow Shrimps, also some flame moss. Hopefully the shop will send them this same week. So final stock for the 20g will be:

12 Cardinal tetra
8 Pygmy Cory
6 Neocaridine yellow shrimp
1 BN pleco (will change for to 2-4 Ottos)

I have one doubt about feeding. How to feed the 4 different types of critters? Maybe 1 mini dish for Shrimps and one for Corydoras? Or is ok just to throw fish food in one corner and shrimp food in another?

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mansoboy said:
Hi there!

I've just ordered 4 cardinal tetra, 8 pygmy corys and 6 Neocaridine Yellow Shrimps, also some flame moss. Hopefully the shop will send them this same week. So final stock for the 20g will be:

12 Cardinal tetra
8 Pygmy Cory
6 Neocaridine yellow shrimp
1 BN pleco (will change for to 2-4 Ottos)

I have one doubt about feeding. How to feed the 4 different types of critters? Maybe 1 mini dish for Shrimps and one for Corydoras? Or is ok just to throw fish food in one corner and shrimp food in another?
A bottom feeder pellet will feed the corries and shrimp, the pleco May eat some too, so feed accordingly, and an algae wafer for the pleco, but you will want to also feed some proteins too him.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom