My 16 gallon tank

manmade

Reaction score
So...I think I'm finished decorating this tank...for now... >=)

If you guys have ideas on how I can make it better, suggestions welcome!

Fish:

4 - assorted platys
3 - brilliant rasboras
1 - red honey gourami
1 - fruit tetra
going to add a dwarf make gouramI

Tank:

plastic plants
gravel substrate
some rocks I took from someone's backyard...teehee.
aqua-tech 5-15 power filter
100 watt heater
air pump

smillermom

Reaction score
Very pretty! My only suggestion is your stocking. You have enough now and really will be overstocked if you do add a gourami. Male gouramis need a lot of space from each other as they can be very aggressive establishing territories. I think you would be sorry if you added another gouramI as one would seriously bully the other.

platypuff

Reaction score
Looks good but I would really ask the more experienced people on the site about overcrowding. I am new to the forum and had a problem with my fish dying and all my test results were fine. So I asked for advice on here and was surprised to find that I had a problem with overcrowding and my tank is larger then a 16g and I only have a few more fish than yourself.

I am not trying to cause problems for you but I wouldn't want you to get in the situation I did with all my fish dying.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Very cute tank! Looks cool! Your fish are truly beautiful

Now, the overstocking. Let's see how another gouramI would fit into the tank. You currently have 4 platies, which is about 10" of fish (2.5 x 4 = 10). Adult platies grow to be about 2.5 ". Brilliant rasboras grow to be about 3.5", or so I read. So, 3 x 3.5 = 10.5" of fish. The honey gouramI is a dwarf gourami, right? If so, it grows to around 2 - 2.5" only. I don't know how large a fruit tetra grows (I am assuming it's some small tetra, so let's say it's 1.5" for now).

10" of platies + 10.5" of brilliant rasboras + 1 honey gouramI (2.5") + 1 fruit tetra (1.5") = 24.5" of fish total

In a 16 gallon tank, that amount of fish is way too much. If you add another gourami, you'll have a total of about 27" of fish. For this number, you'd need about a 30 gallon tank. I am not trying to discourage you, but I am just trying to show you that overstocking is very bad and unhealthy for fish.

I don't like to keep my fish single. Every one of my angelfish has a companion. I am sure gouramis don't like to be alone either, so I understand yours needs a companion too. But in your tank, you simply cannot add any more fish. I'm sorry :-\

Bonochick

Well Known
Reaction score
Well, since the overstocking has already been addressed, I will say that it is a pretty tank, and those are some gorgeous pics! Good luck with everything.

BettaLover1984

Reaction score
Beautiful tank. I like the rock arrangement. How do you take such beautiful clear and up close pictures??

OP
M

manmade

Reaction score
thanks...I kinda figured it's a tight squeeze, but i'm planning to do more frequent water changes and keep on top of the water testing. hopefully I'll have more space for a bigger tank soon.

I just have a regular point and shoot digicam. I just sit and wait infront of the tank til one of the fishes stops...hehe.
make sure the "macro" setting is on. it allows for sharper close up s.

dang it...one of the new platys I brought home had it's fins nipped off...I didn't notice til I got home. then a couple of days later I noticed some kind of cotton on it. fin rot?? in any case...I had to take him out of the tank...and misery.

is it possible it affected any of the other fish??

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Platys grow their fins back. the whitish on the end was most likely regrowth. We had 2 platys that lost fins to our 1st betta, one of them lost 2 fins, but they grew back in about a month or so without any treatment.

New Threads