tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
here's a picture of my 15 gal.
Tan

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you mind if I ask you where you get all your plants? Do you grow them yourself and ween them off? Do you start them little and they grow that large? I'm envious

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Icicle said:
Do you mind if I ask you where you get all your plants? Do you grow them yourself and ween them off? Do you start them little and they grow that large? I'm envious 
not at all.......but....
bear with me.....i'm **** with names of plants (as you'll see!).....in this 15gal, the purple one on the left and the broad leafed green one next to it and the anubia (only name i know - identified it from plant geek.com!) on the rock in the front right are from pets at home (chain store in uk) and with it brought a blanket weed stringy algae stuff and snails!! (not buying any more from there!!) so the snails and loach got rid of the hairy green stuff, but i'm still needing to get rid of the snails. the plants have all doubled in size in the past couple of months. they were potted, so i took them out of the pots and planted them in the gravel.
the fluffy looking one 3rd plant from the left has been cut down by half as it was getting so tall, and i've put the off cuts into the bottom 28gal in hope the cuttings will root and hide my filter?! - worth a try! - whats the worst that can happen!!! gonna trim the purple one tomorrow as thats bending over as its got too tall. i'll plonk that in the bottom 28 gal too as that tank is still rather sparse!

all the other plants in that tank and the other tanks have come from "epetz".....a company i found on ebay who sends them bunched with foam and weights and they have signs of rooting. the come really good quality and really quickly. and they've also doubled in size! you dont get to choose what you get though.....i just got the multipack surprise!!! but they're cheap and do the job!
including post and packing they work out at about a £1 each (not sure what that is in other currencies), but basically not much at all (the price of a bottle of pop!)!!
i got all those ones only about a month ago!! no fancy lighting either. just what came with the tanks. they are in a room with patio doors and windows which are south facing so get all the afternoon sunlight so maybe that helps? and fertiliser every fortnight (as per instructions say). a couple of them did die, but thats when i moved them from the 45 gal which leaked, into this 28gal....they didnt appreciate the move!!!

Tan

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Another beautiful tank! Love your plants and the setup in general I am in love with all planted tanks, can't help it ;D

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Isabella said:
Another beautiful tank! Love your plants and the setup in general I am in love with all planted tanks, can't help it ;D
thanks! are any of yours planted? i'm hoping they'll do 2 things.....look after the fry and keep my nitrates down....and they look pretty too, so thats a bonus!
tan

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Tan, Pretty tank. I think playing with the decorations can be just as much fun as the fish. I still have to look at the first 28 gal, but I'm sure it is great.
My next tank, (picked it up yesterday) is going to be fully planted. I agree it add SO much to the look of a tank.

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
tan.b said:
thanks! are any of yours planted?
Yes I have just set up a 75 gallon (about 284 Liters) planted tank a week ago. There are pictures of it on this board.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
susitna-flower said:
  Hi Tan,   Pretty tank.   I think playing with the decorations can be just as much fun as the fish.    I still have to look at the first 28 gal, but I'm sure it is great.
My next tank, (picked it up yesterday) is going to be fully planted.  I agree it add SO much to the look of a tank. 

Fish in the Frozen North  8)
good luck. i enjoy the plants as much as the fish!!! i took a load of cuttings from the 15 gal yesterday and re-planted them in the bottom 28 gal (the scissor tail /castle one). fingers crossed they root and grow!! - another reason for loving the plants is its natures way....nature put plants in water with fish for a reason, and our tanks are trying to re-create nature....my theory anyway! the fish seem to enjoy picking at them too (dunno what they eat off them, but they dont actualy munch the leaves away....just microscopic bits of algae i think?) i'd never buy those silver dollars cos i love my plants too much!!!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Isabella said:
tan.b said:
thanks! are any of yours planted?
Yes I have just set up a 75 gallon (about 284 Liters) planted tank a week ago. There are pictures of it on this board.
i'll go and have a look!!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Isabella, your tank is lovely. I especially enjoyed that you included a plant list, and the way you logged the whole process. Not to mention that your pictures are superb.

Fish in the Frozen North. -15F this morning and sunny 8)

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
wow that's nice and planted. Pretty cool looking.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
wolfman21 said:
wow that's nice and planted. Pretty cool looking.
thanks wolfman21!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
HI. I like your tanks they are realy nice!!

Are the plants in the Pets at Home by you in good condition? The plants in my Pets at Home are in very bad condition and aren't labeld. :-\ I don't like to buy them from there. I tend to buy them from maidenhead aquatics. Do you have one by you? They are a good fish store.

Wish my plants looked as nice.!!

Gwenz

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great job on your 15 gallon Tan.. how about you send me a dozen plants along with those galaxy rasboras..

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Gwenz said:
HI. I like your tanks they are realy nice!!

Are the plants in the Pets at Home by you in good condition? The plants in my Pets at Home are in very bad condition and aren't labeld.  :-\ I don't like to buy them from there. I tend to buy them from maidenhead aquatics. Do you have one by you? They are a good fish store. 

Wish my plants looked as nice.!!

Gwenz
no. i wouldnt recommend "pets at home" for plants. the ones i got there turned yellow, were covered in a blanket weed stuff and infested with snails! they arent labelled either. just small, medium and large!! really useful :!!! ive seen the website for maidenhead aquatics and looks fab....however, not near me! just "pets at home" in wakefield and leeds and a "paws for thought" which just have 2 branches in leeds. hence the use of ebay!! when i'm rich (just need to get that winning ticket!) i'll open an lfs and it will have everything including loads of info sheets with a care sheet with everything sold.
give your plants time! they just take a while to root and settle in! then they'll get huge!
tan

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
Great job on your 15 gallon Tan.. how about you send me a dozen plants along with those galaxy rasboras.. 
dont forget the rusks and other heinz products!!!! do you get salad cream? that seems to be a uk thing. when we went to switzerland we had to take loads with us as everyone wanted it! tan

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
exactly.. make it a nice big package. i'll go sit at the front door waiting for it. i've not seen salad cream here.. i'll have to get some of that too.. you're keeping a list, right? overnight delivery is expected, of course.. lol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
exactly.. make it a nice big package.  i'll go sit at the front door waiting for it.   i've not seen salad cream here.. i'll have to get some of that too.. you're keeping a list, right?   overnight delivery is expected, of course.. lol
oooo, how can you live without salad cream!!! even my 2 yrs old is quite partial to it!! its like mayonaisse but actually has some flavour!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i'll be ok, now that you've sent me some in the package.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm so frightened.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom