My 125 w/ Discus

Marc

I'll try and get a nice tank-wide shot this afternoon, once they're all swimming around. Just got a few more last night, and they were eating almost immediately!

199.jpg

202.jpg

203.jpg

205.jpg

Callum The Cat

I didn't kknow u had dicus but anyway awesome looking tank and 125!!! wow

Peace Out Callum!

capekate

HI Marc
very nice Discus!! How many do you have now? I also have discus and two of my guys look like the ones in your first photo. They are blue tourqs and red tourqs. I also have a yellow and a blue diamond. Your tank looks great! Arn't the Discus a wonderful fish to have? I just love them!!!
~ kate

Tom

Oooooooo, very pretty. You are very lucky to have discus, my parents won't let me set up a tank for them.
Tom

Marc

They aren't Turqs, they're Wild Blues. Realllllllllllly like the wilds. The other one in the top and 2nd pictures is a Cobalt Blue, and the one in the corner of the tank (#3) is a snakeskin. I have 2 blue snakeskins, 1 lightly colored snakeskin, 2 wild blues, and the cobalt blue.

218.jpg

220.jpg

222.jpg

224.jpg

226.jpg

228.jpg

Oh - my new desktop background! (lowered the quality because Imageshack has a 1mb limit..)

Attachments

• 228.jpg
    228.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 62

Isabella

WHOA MARC !!!

How come I didn't see this thread before !?! WOW - your tank and Discus are so AMAZING! Beautiful tank and fish, really really beautiful! I didn't know you had a 125 gallon tank with Discus! When did you get it? How many Discus total are in there? Any other fish? If so, what other fish and how many? What plants? (I think I am seeing beautiful Swords and Java Moss?) I thought you had African Cichlids, lol. Maybe I've confused you with some other member. If not, did you have some thread(s) about setting up this tank?
Once again, GREAT TANK, GREAT FISH, and GREAT PHOTOS!

Attachments

• 23.gif
    23.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 1.gif
    1.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 51

Allie

I love your tank! Someday I hope to have Discus in our 120g

COBettaCouple

wow

What impressive & beautiful Discus!

Marc

I do have African Cichlids, in a 33g. I'll post some pics of them later on, I haven't in a while and the tank got rearranged significantly.

The plants are a couple big swords, some Crypts (well, lots of them), and a whole bunch of smaller plants I'm letting grow in and spread just for diversity. The swords are "dying", though, while they grow aquatic leaves. So no non-Discus pictures of this tank for a while!

I have a school of Rummynose and 2 Cardinal tetras (I bought 11, and 8 didn't last the first 2 days), lots of Corydoras (various species), 4 Bala Sharks (2 from my 55g, they're MONSTERS), 3 Pearl Gouramis, some Otoclinclus, and some BNs. There are 6 discus, and though they're still really shy they're eating very well.

Tom

Woot, discus. I just love discus. Yours look great.
Tom

Isabella

Once again, GREAT tank Marc I know that generally the minimum tank size for Discus is around 75 gallons, but I personally think this is too small. Now that I have a 75 gallon tank, and having had Angelfish in it for a while, I think this tank would be way too small for Discus (they're much bigger than Angels). I now believe something around at least 100-120 gallons is more appropriate for Discus. Though a 75 gallon tank is not that small at all, I've now realized it's not that big either, and it now seems even too small for Angelfish to me! See, the bigger the tank I get, the bigger I want the next one to be, lol.

Marc

That's the thing a lot of people don't get about the hobby. Once you get to know a fish, especially how BIG some of them get, you start to realize that the minimum size just doesn't cut it. Tank sizes mentioned in saltwater are generally much more thought-out, with the emphasis on what the fish needs, rather than what it could be crammed into. Of course, there are always exceptions. Like on the reputable sites, where a fish is given at least a minimum tank size that is acceptable. Unlike larger chains, where they will usually say what would be a good TEMPORARY home. (avoiding any responsibility with vaguery is nice!)

However... many breeders will keep 6 Discus in a 55 gallon to mature so they pair off, like Angels. They will also breed them in fairly small tanks as well. They don't necessarily need the size to be happy, so much as needing their own space within a tank. Although they definitely appreciate it...

COBettaCouple

your Discus look VERY happy & healthy & that's a super tank for them! i'd like some Discus myself, but don't have a big enough tank for even a couple.

sgould

Very nice! Discus are such beautiful fish!

bhcaaron

Seing all these beautiful creatures in such beautiful set-ups is making me depressed knowing I can't have mine yet! :-[

BTW, your pics are wonderful, your fish are beautiful and your set-up awesome! So much so, that I did a standing ovation... here's an instand replay

:;z

Oh, wait, that was the wave lol

armadillo

Wow, your discuses are amazing!!! Would you like to take a look at the caresheet to see if you'd like to add something there?

Gamer

Very beautiful. Those are my favorite fish. I'm hoping my next tank will be a planted discus tank of at least 80 gallons.

Tayful

I AM SO JEALOUS!!! HAND THEM OVER!

Discus are beautiful fish. Right now I wouldn't have the room or the ability to handle them but it's my dream to have them at some point. Lucky, lucky.

bhcaaron

That's the thing a lot of people don't get about the hobby. Once you get to know a fish, especially how BIG some of them get, you start to realize that the minimum size just doesn't cut it. Tank sizes mentioned in saltwater are generally much more thought-out, with the emphasis on what the fish needs, rather than what it could be crammed into. Of course, there are always exceptions. Like on the reputable sites, where a fish is given at least a minimum tank size that is acceptable. Unlike larger chains, where they will usually say what would be a good TEMPORARY home. (avoiding any responsibility with vaguery is nice!)

However... many breeders will keep 6 Discus in a 55 gallon to mature so they pair off, like Angels. They will also breed them in fairly small tanks as well. They don't necessarily need the size to be happy, so much as needing their own space within a tank. Although they definitely appreciate it...

That's awesome to know that you have more than just the bare minimum needs of the fish in mind and actually plan for its healthy living. Congrats!

Barbrella

All I have to say is........WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Allie

I really like the wild blues.

Angela_96

Beautiful fish!!! I'm jealous!!

JohnB

what are you using for a substrate in the tank? It looks like your basic play sand. Maybe you have something under that.
Thankyou
John B

Martinismommy

All these pretty discus fish is bringing on MTS!!!!!!!! Very nice fish and the photo's are fabulous!

Narcicius

very nice

Marc

Underneath the sand I mixed up some of the red plant gravel (forgot which brand) and quartz silica. The silicia is just real fine grade gravel and it blends nicely with the sand, and in a lot of the tank it's been moved around enough to be spots of just sand, and spots with a lot of gravel poking out.

Thanks for the compliments! They're still doing well and breeding regularly, and I'm setting up a tank soon to get a pair out of the community tank to spawn in peace!

slakey

I was told 125litres was too small for Discus??? But then here's proof showing that it can be done...

Is this the final tank for them or will you be upgrading later on?

capekate

I was told 125litres was too small for Discus??? But then here's proof showing that it can be done...

Is this the final tank for them or will you be upgrading later on?
Slakey, I believe you mis read... the tank is 125 GAL....

slakey

Hmm... Considering he didn't put Gallons or Litres I believe I didn't missread and just jumped to a conclusion that it was litres

But either way I'm gutted lol.

Very nice looking tank though... How many have you got in there?

capekate

Hmm... Considering he didn't put Gallons or Litres I believe I didn't missread and just jumped to a conclusion that it was litres

But either way I'm gutted lol.

Very nice looking tank though... How many have you got in there?
Slakey the only reason I know that it was in GALs is because he DID posted it..

EDIT: I admit when I'm wrong Slakey.. Isabella and others referred to the tank as a 125g. Another benefit of having the Aquarium info link under our member name and referring to that is when I checked it out, it was posted as a 125g tank. That is why others and myself knew it was a 125g...

Marc

6. Two wild blues, two blue snakeskins, one tan snakeskin (not sure of the 'official' name), and one cobalt. The wild blues and the snakeskins have paired up (Wild x Snakeskin) and both pairs lay eggs bi-weekly.

A 125 liter would be good for spawning and growing out the fry to 3/4" but nothing long term. Granted, you could probably pull it off with 1 or 2 fish, but they would be very very depressed.

slakey

Mmm... think I might get some angles in once I find somewhere for all my guppies and also when I've sorted out the ammonia, as for the nitrate can't do much...

capekate: wasn't there when I posted so you can let me off surely

capekate

Mmm... think I might get some angles in once I find somewhere for all my guppies and also when I've sorted out the ammonia, as for the nitrate can't do much...

capekate: wasn't there when I posted so you can let me off surely

sure can! ;D

angelfish220

I want discuses so bad, but I only have a 55, maybe big enough for 2 but close. My water is really soft and acidic and it is perfect! but I have no money for it and I am afraid that I will kill them...

Marc

I ended up getting a 60 hex set up to raise the fry in, and pulled a pair out with the last 20 fry from their latest spawn.

39.jpg

slakey

congrats on the fry

COBettaCouple

I love that pic with the fry! Great shot!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies