My 10g Multi Tank

NYFishGuy
Very excited to get these, my first mail order fish went better than expected.
Seller sold 5, all in the shells, never found the 5th that was supposedly the smallest of the bunch.

Water is soft here so i've added seachem kh/gh products and 10lb aragonite with sand on top.
They seem happy and eating. digging and moving shells around.
The hide if you walk into the room to quick and cautiously hover over shells if being watched.
Can't wait to see some fry. Looks like the largest and smaller dark colored ones I thought were males have built a shell condo together but the largest one seems to interact more with the other fish than this one.

I'm interested in learning more about their social behavior if anyone has any good articles to link or talk about your own experience.

Also attached pic of injured looking one (stomach swollen, black and blue) if anyone has any thoughts if it was from shipping or something else?

DSCF1480.jpg

DSCF1491.jpg
DSCF1492.jpg

Advertisement
WTFish?
Very nice!

Advertisement
NYFishGuy
Pretty sure I have 2 males and 2 females.
As simple as 'the males are larger' also I have seen them flaring at each other and they swim quickly toward each other then stop and back up.
Haven't seen any lip locking or anything more aggressive so that's good.
The larger male has built a territory in the front of the tank that 1 female lives in and the other female visits and hangs around.
The smaller male doesn't seem to move much sand or shells. Seems like the cast out.

NYFishGuy
Heres how the tank looks now after about 2 weeks. One of them is putting sand on the filter sponge.
I was reading some other posts about their sand digging behavior and it was argued that they don't need sand and they move it just because its in the way.
Also that they would prefer just having stacks of shells, seems to make sense.

My wife walked by the tank only saw 3 and thought a shell was buried and 1 was trapped inside.
Started freaking out and screaming "Hes buried, Hes DEAD"
I had quickly came in and looked and said he'll probably be right out.
She wasn't satisfied with my quick assessment, and continued on freaking out.
I asked how long she was watching the tank and she said 30 seconds
This lasted a minute or 2 and ended with "Nevermind there he is"

DSCF1493.jpg

AQUA_LOVER
Heres how the tank looks now after about 2 weeks. One of them is putting sand on the filter sponge.
I was reading some other posts about their sand digging behavior and it was argued that they don't need sand and they move it just because its in the way.
Also that they would prefer just having stacks of shells, seems to make sense.

My wife walked by the tank only saw 3 and thought a shell was buried and 1 was trapped inside.
Started freaking out and screaming "Hes buried, Hes DEAD"
I had quickly came in and looked and said he'll probably be right out.
She wasn't satisfied with my quick assessment, and continued on freaking out.
I asked how long she was watching the tank and she said 30 seconds
This lasted a minute or 2 and ended with "Nevermind there he is"

View attachment 502422
That sounds like my wife, but cue hysterical crying and dead fish going in the freezer to one day be buried at a special ceremony.

NYFishGuy
Got a new years present yesterday, I saw my first multI fry!
I was worried about snails eating the eggs or the injury on the side of the female, water parameters, was I feeding right? .... etc
I got a pic a little blurry but you can see the baby.

I'm now wondering about the other pair in the tank, the one I think is female is quite a bit larger than the one that just had fry and i'm wondering if there's any chance its a male? It's only been a little aggressive with the other female and both males are not aggressive toward it, only each other.

I removed the large rock awhile ago and there's a clear line between their territories.
The one in the front has dug a large area all the way to the glass for the shells.
The one in the back doesn't dig as well but might have small spot.

1-5-19-b2.jpg
1-5-19-b.jpg
1-5-19-b3.jpg

Giul
Got a new years present yesterday, I saw my first multI fry!
I was worried about snails eating the eggs or the injury on the side of the female, water parameters, was I feeding right? .... etc
I got a pic a little blurry but you can see the baby.

I'm now wondering about the other pair in the tank, the one I think is female is quite a bit larger than the one that just had fry and i'm wondering if there's any chance its a male? It's only been a little aggressive with the other female and both males are not aggressive toward it, only each other.

I removed the large rock awhile ago and there's a clear line between their territories.
The one in the front has dug a large area all the way to the glass for the shells.
The one in the back doesn't dig as well but might have small spot.
View attachment 516117 View attachment 516118 View attachment 516119

Congrats! It’s so fun how they rearrange the tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rivieraneo
Replies
Views
alexk77
Replies
Views
lorianne621