My 10G Betta Community Tank.

1. N

NovaSkies New Member Member

My current tank has been up since 05/05/2016 and I have one Male Crowntail Betta fish, two African Dwarf Frogs and about seven Morimo Moss balls of varying sizes.

So here's what I plan on adding to my tank:
    6 Neon or Cardinal Tetras
    1 Mystery Snail
    1-2 Ghost Shrimp

For the Mystery Snail and Ghost Shrimp I know they prefer to be in a tank that has live plants which mine does not have but I am interested in adding Lilaeospis brasiliensis.

The Betta (Ryuji) is hanging out by his little hammock and one of the frogs is trying to get behind the internal filter.

I will update after I add more fish or plants. And please let me know your thoughts.

[​IMG]

2. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Bettas should never be kept in community tanks in anything less than a 20 gallon long. Bettas are not naturally kept with other fish, so it is an extremely stressful environment for them. The tetras are not suitable for a 10 gallon anyways. I would go with the shrimp and snails for the 10 gallon.
    If you are set on keeping him with fish, you have to get a 20 gallon long. This is the absolute minimum.
    Welcome to the forum:)

3. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

In agreement with FlowingFins. Along with the tank not being large enough for the tetras, the neons aren't temperature compatible. Tetras can also be nippy. If you go with a 20 long for a community, I would suggest a group of otos and perhaps a school of cherry barbs OR a small school of harlequin rasbora. Two schools would be too active for your betta I think. Kuhli loaches would be nice too for a bottom swimmer. They're nocturnal though so you may not see them much.

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Depends on the oto species but the common oto (vittatus) also need cooler temps than a betta. :)

5. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

As of now, without the additions, your tank looks perfect, adding a snail or ghost shrimp, won't hurt, but i don't really see why you would being it that you're already have such a good arrangement!

6. OP
    OP
    N

NovaSkies New Member Member

I've read several posts on forums and one even on this website about Betta's and Tetra's living peacefully in a 10 gallon. There's also a youtube video about it. But I will take your suggestions into consideration.

7. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Just because you see it doesn't mean it's right.
    Tetras, whether they can be kept with bettas or not, should not be kept in a 10 gallon. They require a school and are active swimmers, making their minimum tank size 20 gallons.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree, don't do it. Many people have said they have done it, but many others have also said it doesn't work. Not worth the risk.