My 100 GALLON

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jruko, Jul 7, 2015.

1. j

jruko New Member Member

5 balas, 3 tiger barbs, 2 redtails, one rainbow, 2 angels

2. felix

felix Valued Member Member

Bala sharks get to big. In fact only public aquariums can house them.

Angel fish are schooling fish and need to be in a group of at least six.

Tiger barbs are also schooling fish and they will nib at the angels.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Not entirely true. Angelfish are not schooling fish. They can be kept alone or in pairs

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

I started with one barb. he was lonely, so i added two more. they schooled up asap and go everywhere together. i think my angels are two females, a good pair. would add more angels and barbs but dont want to over crowd. yes the barb nipped one of the angels when he was alone, minorbtail damage, so i added two more. figured that he was lonely and stressed. i also understand that sometimes angels can become agressive towards one another when paired as they age, but ultimately might be ok as a pair in the long run.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

My Aquarium

100 Gallon, UV filtered, 5 Balas, 3 Tiger Barbs, 2 Angels, One Rainbow, Two Redtails, perfect Chemistry?

6. felix

felix Valued Member Member

Every website say's something else. I wouldn't keep them in a pair and definly not alone even though I might be wrong.

I would get the barbs back to your fishstore if I where you.

No bala sharks and no barbs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  7. AquaticBrandon

Well they are not schooling fish. The Fishlore angelfish profile doesn't state anything about angelfish being a schooling fish. Many people have kept them alone or in pairs fine. I kept a pair last year and they did okay.

8. NicoFord

NicoFord Valued Member Member

Pairs are great.especially when there mated. Alone is fine. And you can have them in larger schools buy I would recommendbooger than six if you do a school. I have a pair and have always had pairs

Sent from my VS840 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Tiger barbs are recommended to being in groups of 10-15 if you want them to leave your other fish alone.

10. AquaticBrandon

Yeah I have heard that having a larger school of Barbs would make them leave other fish alone. In a larger school they keep their aggression to themselves

11. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

My Chemistry levels are: N03: 0-20
    N02: 0-.5
    PH: 7.2-7.8
    KH: 120
    GH: 75
    Chlorine: 0
    Pretty good right? Not sure how to tell when my tank is fully cycled

12. AquaticBrandon

What is your ammonia? A fully cycled tank should read 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrites.

13. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

i will have to go get more ammonia strips. i tested last week and ammonia read 0 with no2 between 0 and .5, no3 was 0. ive only had the tank running for 2weeks though. i transferred all the fish and plants. i doubt its cycled that fast no? i have great filtering , including uv, and do frequent partial water changes, but still that seems not enough time to cycle?

(transferred 35 gallons of the old water into the new 100 gallon btw)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  14. AquaticBrandon

Don't use test strips, they aren't really accurate. I would recommend getting an API Master Test kit. You transferred everything from the 35 gallon to the 100 gallon?

15. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

yea ill get that kit. yes transferred all water, all rocks, (added another 75lbs of rock, all plants, decorations, heater and two filters. (cleaned them). then added a few more live plants, 2 more barbs, 3 more balas, and one more red tail for a total of 13 fish.

btw my one 100 watt heater is keeping my tank a perfect 74-76 on both sides somehow. i have 2 more 200 watts but no need to use them yet

i heard that too i may add a few more barbs. so far though, doing ok. where i messed up was mixing the redtail and rainbow. the rainbow is a bit larger, and always chased the ret tail. so i added another red tail in hopes that he would leave him alone if out numbered. i dont want to take any fish back, they are all beautiful, more though the fact that i gave them a nice home and dont want to take that back from them. my hopes are finding perfect harmony in numbers, tank size and territory

16. AquaticBrandon

By cleaning the filters, you didn't rinse the in tap water did you? If you have ammonia present in the tank it could be that you're going through a mini cycle. I get that you want to keep both red tail sharks and the rainbow sharks, but they won't get along very well. You should only have one shark. They don't get along with other sharks.

17. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

i just rinsed the plastic filters in tap, used the same filters from the old tank. but changed them 2 days ago. why am i supposed to use drinking or spring water? ok well then maybe the two red tails can go back. the rainbow is dark purple and orange tail, beautiful, hes def. a keeper. the red tails kinda dull colored anyways. i just worried if i take them back, they will throw them into a new tank of water and kill them at the store

when i do water changes i use the hose. though i have been thinking of using fresh spring water from now on, even though its alot of $ in water

18. AquaticBrandon

You're not supposed to rinse Established Filters in tap water. Tap water will kill all the beneficial bacteria. Do you put in water conditioner?

19. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

should i replace the red tails with at least another rainbow? so he wont be the only one of his kind?

20. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice