My 10 Gallon Blog

1. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well, since I no longer have a Betta fish it didn't make sense to be using my betta blog anymore. So this is my new 10 gallon thread where I'll keep everything about that tank up to date.

The background of the tank:
    I started with a 2.5 gallon Betta tank, then bought this 10 gallon and put him in there with media from my 29g tank. Sadly, I didn't notice there was a cap for my filter intake and after a couple days my betta got sucked up into the filter and died. Then, I went and got a new betta and 3 ADFs. After a couple days this betta died (I believe from ammonia) leaving just the 3 ADFs. Then last night I discovered that there were only 2 ADFs in the tank so it appears that one jumped out even though I'm not sure how bc I had the water level down a little bit.

My current plan is to make sure my tank is fully cycled and then go from there.

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Getting the tank cycled is the first step, after that the rest comes a bit easier. Looking forward to pics and more planning!

3. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

I had been hoping that since I put filtered media and cycled gravel into the tank that it would inta cycle but after testing the water it didn't I'm pretty sure, so this will be a fun process again.

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

What are the current parameters on the tank?

5. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well 2 days ago it was .25 ammonia , 0 no2 10 no3. But 2 days b4 it was .5 amm, 1 no2 10 no3

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

sounds like your almost there give it another couple days or so and you'll be all set.

7. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Checked again just now. .25 amm 0 no2 10 no3

8. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

give it a day or so before you check again, you really need to have some gaps between testing to allow the bacteria to show you something. Aside from the fact that, that .25 is REALLY hard to tell, could be anywhere between 0.15 and 0.4 in all honesty. I have used that test many times and compared it to multi thousand dollar lab machines and while it does an effective job for the hobbiest its accuracy is very much in question as to the exact number. Will it show you there is ammonia oh yeah it does a great job for that as we only really care to know that it is there, not so much how exact just some basic levels.

As a humor point I kinda redid a chart for someone once to help, just took some basic colors of the kit and did these 4 levels

1. Uh oh there might be something wrong better check it again in 12 hours or so
    2. Oh crud you need to do at least a 25% water change and use detox
    3. We have a problem now get the water change buckets out, your doing at least 50% and possibly a second after a retest. Don't forget the detox!
    4. Yeah just do back to back 50% changes and check again, most likely you have a larger problem and may need more help, check Fishlore ASAP

It worked wonders, they no longer had questions as to what to do and when.

9. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Haha thats funny. And i agree that its hard to tell exactly. Should i still do daily water changes right now? or like every other day?

10. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Amazing news! just found my missing frog, he's alive and in the tank!

11. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Its never bad to do small daily water changes, it cant hurt anything really.

12. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Ok, random question just to see what everyone's thoughts are. Could a honey gourami or 2 work in this tank?

13. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would think that they could, they do stay rather small.

14. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

hmm I might look into that this summer. I do like them a lot

15. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Here's a few pics of the tank

Attached Files:

16. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

well my parameters are still about the same. .25ish ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 or less nitrate. Idk y the ammonia isn't reaching 0 unless I just am not good at reading the color?

17. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well, time for an update. The frogs all survived the transport from WV to IN. I've been planning on making this a planted tank so today I took the first steps. I changed out the white gravel for black sand, added/changed the aquascape, and bought 6 neon tetras, which I have added. So hopefully I can do pictures soon and keep this updated more often.

18. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well i gave the neons to my mom bc the frogs werent swimming much anymore. And then i got a betta and all's good so far.

19. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

I am officially the worst owner ever! ive been working a ton and hadnt checked the tank much bc my mom's been feeding them and this morning i went to do a water change and found one of the frogs dead, i think of starvation. And then i couldnt find my amano shrimp but i just found a dead one on the floor so i assume thats where the others are too. Im so mad at myself right now.

20. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Instead of feeling mad about yourself, what can you take away from this experience? what lessons have you learn? What actions are you going to put in place so it doesn't happen again?