My 10 Gallon And My Paradise Fish

Discussion in 'Paradise Fish' started by FriarThomasIII, Apr 18, 2018.

1. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

This is the newly scaped 10 gallon tank (getting a new stand soon) with water sprite, some water clover I can’t identify, dwarf sagittaria behind and to the left of the rock, micro chain swords in the crook of the elbow shaped chola wood, and then a mini field of anacharis that I plan on it reaching the top of the tank in a really think, tall and lush forest. As for the plants I plan on buying soon, I want to get some floating plants, specifically water lettuce and duckweed/salvinia. This would look really nice with the lettuce in the center of the tank and the salvinia growing around it, and would also put the Paradise Fish at ease with a medium to build his bubble nest while also making him feel safer with the subdued lighting. Equipment wise, I have a standard T8 light fixture with a cheap (but seemingly effective, especially since these are lower light plants) garden/aquarium bulb from Lowes, a Danner AP-3 airpump and tubing which is powering my sponge filter while also having less flow, which the helps the Paradise Fish build his nest without risk of being blown away by rough currents, and finally a Interpet heater rated for 5-10 gallon tanks I bought from Walmart. Surprisingly the heater is effective and ranges from 68-93 degree temperatures. As for potential tank mates, I plan on getting 3 or so otocinclus to compat the algea that is growing on the walls and on a few plant leaves and then 15 or so ghost shrimp to act as a little clean up crew. Since ghost shrimp are cheap and readily available (not to mention hrady, given that my source is a good place to buy) I won’t mind if they potentially breed or end up as a snack for the Paradise Fish. Any snails that somehow survive the wrath and hunger (a little over the top, I know) of the Paradise Fish are welcome, too. Food wise, I’m feeding bladder/ramshorn snails, crushed if they are too large, the hydra that is in the tank (worm looking creatures that have stinging tentacles) which the gourami family are famous for eating, Omega One freshwater flake to help him look his best (tip from a wise amature; feed carrots to any feeder animal, whether snail, shrimp or fish to naturally enhance his color), and the numerous platy fry that are soon to appear in my 30 I took him from. (He was constantly stressed out from the constant movement of the danio school and the corydoras catfish he was with. He started losing color and hiding most of the time, and now he is much more active.) Space wise, the 10 gallon is all he needs, as paradise fish are usually very still and inactive until feeding time or exploring. Here is a (sadly low quality) photo of him in his tank;

jurStfNfhprFXCXqhzUJoln_LgGgUbx6SQwCrPY57XU8rDg6oFTCdbiZnquxOvLkBVE6hk98V04tY3NMM-TqvE0JiUcrcWRn.jpg

He likes to hang out under the heater and above the rock. For those who might be saying “he doesn’t need a heater”, you’re right. I just prefer keeping the tank at a constant temperature that isn’t changing, which is a problem heaterless tanks have. If the temperature changes constantly, or ins’t stable, it can lower the immune system of your fish. -also the plants like it, too, I believe. I keep the tank at about 73F, give or take a degree. Thoughts? I feel pretty proud of the scape and design despite all the plants and all hand-me-downs or not bought myself. Soon I’ll start my next tank and the new (somewhat stressful) adventure.

2. Nataku

Nataku Well Known Member Member

Tank looks good but he would indeed appreciate more vertical coverage. Mine enjoy jungle valisneria, subulata and rotala as well for vertical coverage. For some reason they kept pulling up the anacharis that was in their tank but left the rest of the plants alone. So I just leave a strand of anacharis floating for them and let the other plants they ignore grow.

Get salvinia and not duckweed. Its a pain in the rear to clean out of the leaves and roots of the water lettuce. Salvinia is much easier. Salvinia will grow in just about any light. The water lettuce you may have a harder time with. It usually grows back even if light isnt amazing, just with smaller leaves.

Temp is fine. Could go colder. Dont go over 75. You'll really see them lose some color and surface breath a lot more then.

Your's eats snails? That's cool. Mine ignore the ramshorn and MTS in their tank. They also absolutely stink at eating live fish, even guppy fry past a couple days old (this is why my paradise tank currently has guppies in it, ugh).

He may well snack on the ghost shrimp, mine enjoy them. But as you said, they are cheap and you can put enough in that he cant eat them all in one sitting and they may even breed on their own.

3. OP
    OP
    FriarThomasIII

Yeah, I can't wait for the anacharis to grow, and it is sending up new stalks that are growing pretty fast. I plan on it growing to the top of the tank, and he doesn't seem interested in pulling it up. He mainly just hangs out and chills until something exciting happens. What you said makes sense about the salvinia, and my pet supplies plus has tons and will sell a massive clump for a dollar. I'll probably pick some up this weekend. I might swap out my valsenaria I have in my 30 for the dwarf sag in the ten and clump them behind the rock. Are there any other plants you would recommend?

I also have a few clumps and pieces of water sprite floating to keep him busy and feel safer having something floating in his tank, if that's helping.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  4. Nataku

Nataku Well Known Member Member

In a 10 an amazon sword would likely get too big and fill the entire tank. So while my paradise enjoy theirs they are also in a bigger tank so I'd pass on that.
    The rotala has been doing well, lots of species options there.
    Stargrass is another fairly easy to grow stem plant that you just trim when it gets tall enough and replant the stems. Seems to work nicely.

5. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

In the winter time it's perfectly fine to dial your heater down a few degrees. They appreciate a seasonal change, in the winter down to 50F.
    This fish was one of the first ornamental fish kept in aquariums, no heaters involved. They are very hardy.
    Seeing yours, makes me want to have one. :)

6. OP
    OP
    FriarThomasIII

Start grass is nice, though I don't have room for two carpeting plants. I'll have to buy green rotala or ludwegia because I really like the green coloration and my red rotala wouldn't look right.

7. OP
    OP
    FriarThomasIII

They are really gorgeous fish, and the albino variety looks really pretty

8. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

No offense, but I had to laugh when you said you keep your heater at 73. My husband keeps our house at a balmy 72 during the winter. It's pretty consistent in certain rooms, and some bedrooms it can fluctuate to be warmer.

9. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

I personally do not enjoy any albino versions of any fish (including all other pets). I always think they look unhealthy but it's a personal preference.
    Flipping through the aquarium lexicon of my father as a little boy I always stuck at the page of the Macropodus spechti. One day I would like to have this paradise fish. :)

10. OP
    OP
    FriarThomasIII

My house is usually a cool 68 degrees lol. My house also fluctuates a little temperature wise.

11. OP
    OP
    FriarThomasIII

I usually feel the same way, but my exceptions are any corydoras species and paradise fish. Both are just beautiful!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice