MUTANT Giant large female swordtail ?!

1. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

I've dealt with swordtails all my life. Their bodies are usually about 1.5 inches, and they're sleek, with the females obviously having a bit more girth.

But back in Nov 2011, I bought this gold sword from a shop in Meadville as I was passing through, and she's just kept growing and growing and growing... Right now (March 30 2012), she measures 3 and 1/8". Does anyone else have a gigantic swordtail like this?

She's given birth a few times, and I've raised the fry and given most of them away. I'm keeping a few to see if they get to be as humungus as her.

I've just never had one like this. Is it some kind of new thing I don't know about, or do I have some odd Chernobyl fish? :;bmu

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Take a picture?

3. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore :) i do. i have two green spotted girls...and the one especially is very large. i guess i would have to measure...but she's as big or bigger than yours i'd think. but really, i think many swords are big like this. i don't think it's something too odd. but i'm not an expert on swords though

4. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I was under the impression that they all got that big....???

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, how about a picture?

6. Shine Well Known Member Member

Pretty much picture time :photo: Seriously though, I have a female platy that is about 2 inches long; and swordtails are supposed to be bigger then platies.

7. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

Picture!
    [​IMG]

All my other swords are only about 2 inches. That's why I asked. I actually did measure... netted them out and laid them down on a ruler.

8. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i can't tell, but i think my girl is bigger. i don't mean fatter, as in pregnant, but just longer and bigger. i'd say yours looks pretty normal :)

9. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

Yeah, she's prego again. I was trying to get a pic of her with one of the skirt tetras for reference, but they don't line up so well on command ;)

Well, now I don't feel so bad. It's just that people come over and say "OH MY GOD THAT FISH IS MUTANT!" Now I can tell them to go fly a kite... the other ones are just small, ha ha!

Posting another pic with her and the full-grown skirt tetras.

[​IMG]

10. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

shes pretty, and prego to the max XD. The black triangle means shes about to pop right?

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I've seen 6 inchers at the LFS. These were male Lyretails, though. The tank they were in was on the bottom shelf, and I honestly though they were goldfish at first! Really pretty!

Good luck with the fry :)

12. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

My LFS had a shipment of swords come in that were from 3.5" for the small ones to 5" for the bigger ones. If I'd had space for them in my 55, I soooo would have gotten them!

I had a few female guppies that were mutantly large, as well. They were all about 3-3.5" long. They came from a severely over-bred and inbred tank.

13. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

:jawdrop: I've been noticing that the platies in the local fish stores seem to be getting very large. You don't expect platies to run 2.5 inches! They are SUPPOSED to be a diamond-shaped tubby! I'm wondering if they are becoming mutant because of decades of inbreeding. They also seem to be less hardy than I remember from years back.

14. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

diamond shapped tubby ones sound like balloon mollies to me. platies arent really diamond shapped. I had a pretty large girl....she was prob 2.5,3 inches. never have seen a huge guppy though!

-j

15. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

Oh yeah, she's about to pop! I thought for sure it was going to be last night, but she's still got the monstrous belly. I don't even bother quarantining her anymore. There are so many places to hide that I usually end up finding between 10 and 20 fry... I'm always swimming in swordtail babies. (Pun intended).

This time she's prego by a green male, so we'll see what we get. :;gift

16. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hi there!
    Nope, I definitely am NOT thinking balloon mollies. Talk about mutant fish! :( sad face.

Platies historically have not tended to be long. If you measure with your eye from their dorsal to their head, and from the dorsal to the tail, you should see a slight triangle form. Then add the bottom dimensions and it's like a diamond. Not exact, of course. But I really believe the platies have gotten longer in the body because of crossbreeding with swordtails over the years.