Must Have Fish In A Petstore Question

1. F

Fish_lover313 Member Member

hey everyone! Just thought this would be an interesting question....
    What are the must-have fish that petstores should have in stock? Also, what types of fish are favorited by most people?

This question goes for any type of fish (cold water, tropical, cichlids, saltwater, etc...)

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure bettas and goldfish, at least.

3. OP
    OP
    F

Yea those seem to be a big hit. I’ve helped stock 8 tanks.
    Of the smaller fish the favorites seem to be:
    Neon Tetra
    Glofish Tetra
    Molly
    Platy
    Guppy
    Harlequin Rasboras
    Gouramis

4. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

My local petsmart actually never has the harlequins, which stinks because they are some of my favorite fish :banghead:

5. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

Fresh Water: Betta, Feeders, Some sort of tetra, Kuhli Loach ( People drool over these little guys), Sharks, (people think they are sharks), syn. cats, Plecos.
    Saltwater: Clowns,tangs, blenny, goby/shrimp pairs, C.U.C, damsels, Wrasse (Reef safe), Butterflies, starfish.
    Corals: Torch,Hammer, Monty, Zoas, Brain, Chocolate, GSP

6. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

They should stock whatever fish im looking for when i go there.

But other then that depending on the profit margins id say a few tanks live bearers, a couple of tanks of feeder fish, half a dozen cichlid tanks, a few rarer or more difficult fish, a couple or tetras and a dozen tanks of what ever was cheap and easy to sell.

7. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

I adore my LFS because they usually refuse to stock whatever people most want - because those fish are the worst for small tanks! They are happy to order in anything by request so long as they can get it, but this gives them the chance to make sure their customer is prepared for it. You will not see angels or Bala sharks or common plecos or Oscars in their tanks, unless they have taken it in on trade or it is waiting to be picked up. The vast majority of their customers have 10 or 20-gallon tanks, so they carry a great selection of 'nano fish' that can have a good life in a smaller tank. Yes, they lose sales sometimes and get irate people, but they do not want to see anything they sell suffer in the future. It has earned them some fiercely loyal customers and the support of local animal shelters!

8. OP
    OP
    F

I like that they don’t sell fish that usually end up in tanks way too small. So what are the most popular/wanted types of tetras (a lot of people I know seem to keep tetras)?

9. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I would say the most wanted fish would be bettas.

It’s a shame that most are kept in horrid conditions.

10. biotopebuff

biotopebuff Member Member

Popular tetras:

Neons, Cardinals, Lemon, Penguin, Pristella, Ember, Black/White Phantom, Black Neon, Rummynose

Unpopular tetras, but should be more popular:

Bloodfin, Kitty, Serpae,

11. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Definently not serpaes, my experiences with them have been the worst! Pretty, but aggressive. A better choice would be red phantoms, a lot more peaceful.

12. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

Embers don't often display well in-store, sadly. Mine had been there for a few months each time I purchased a group. They were a very boring pale orange, and continued to be for about a month after getting them home, and then they turned that awesome vermillion shade that makes them so stunning. They are a great fish for small tanks, but would benefit from an image of what they will look like once settled.