Mussels/clam shells?

1. Chuck Wheat Member Member

This may be a silly thought, but can mussels shells be used as substrate after they've been eaten and cleaned? And if thats possible, how would one go about cleaning them properly? Would boiling them multiple times be enough to get a delicious garlic-wine-butter sauce off?

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Only if you didn't lick them clean enough in the first place;)

3. Chuck Wheat Member Member

So it is possible to have all shells as substrate? I don't even know how that would look but I was contemplating the possibility of putting a sinker in them and sealing them shut with aquarium sealant or something so that they wouldn't float and only leaving a few open.

However, I don't know how well those shells would hold up in a freshwater tank or if they could possibly contain anything harmful to fish.

I probably will not be doing this, but I'm curious to know if it would work. At the very least, would having a couple as extra decor be possible?

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I think so. I mean as long as your tank's pH isn't on the acidic side then shells should last quite a long time!

My biggest concern with using mussels is that they tend to have sharp edges.