Musk turtle health!

gizmoaxolotl

Hi, I’m thinking about picking up this musk turtle from Craigslist because I can’t find babies anywhere & ordering one online would be very expensive. The owner is asking $70 for the turtle, claims it’s healthy, & says it’s 2 yrs old- 4 inches. I just want someone’s opinion on whether this turtle looks healthy or not. Does the shell look a little wonky to you guys? I don’t mind ordering a general treatment or something in the mail but I don’t want to be stuck with a super sick turtle.

Attachments

Zach72202

Looks like a razorback musk turtle to me, basically a different color pattern, actually a more expensive version, and this one looks to be full grown, not a bad deal, if I wanted a baby one I have seen them for sale at 50$. The shell looks a little odd, but not really unhealthy, could just be some algae or whatever on there, could check it out in person for a better idea.

I would ask the guy what setup he used, like what the turtle eats, and the lighting he uses, filtration, etc. This would be your best indication of care, and also a general inspection of the little bugger.

IMO it looks healthy, but still a physical exam in person would still be good! I have two baby common musk turtles currently, so I have a little experience.

Side note: That's a female! You can tell because of the super short tail, so you choose to get her, you probably want a small box for her to lay eggs into, though they won't be fertile unless you get a male as well.

gizmoaxolotl

Zach72202 said:
Looks like a razorback musk turtle to me, basically a different color pattern, actually a more expensive version, and this one looks to be full grown, not a bad deal, if I wanted a baby one I have seen them for sale at 50$. The shell looks a little odd, but not really unhealthy, could just be some algae or whatever on there, could check it out in person for a better idea.

I would ask the guy what setup he used, like what the turtle eats, and the lighting he uses, filtration, etc. This would be your best indication of care, and also a general inspection of the little bugger.

IMO it looks healthy, but still a physical exam in person would still be good! I have two baby common musk turtles currently, so I have a little experience.

Side note: That's a female! You can tell because of the super short tail, so you choose to get her, you probably want a small box for her to lay eggs into, though they won't be fertile unless you get a male as well.
Thank you so much! She actually is listed as a Razorback musk turtle, but I know nothing about different colors and such so didn’t know their worth, so good to know that I’m getting a “deal” haha. (I’m new to keeping turtles, I’ve only ever kept red ears YEARS ago.) I’m actually having a close friend pick the turtle up for me so I can’t take a good look at her until she’s actually in my home which is fine. I will make sure to ask more about her current setup though! I’m pretty sure she was in a 20 gallon long with sponge filtration but that’s all I know ATM. I bought a UVA & UVB light and have a ramp set up for her in my 55 gallon tank, is there anything else you recommend? (The tank is cycled, heated, & is running 3 large sponge filters along with a HOB filter.) What brand of food do you feed your baby musk turtles? I also want to purchase a second ramp for her because the ramp I have is a little small IMO, do you know where I can find any for a decent price? If not, I’m probably just going to DIY a basking spot for her with egg crate plastic.

Zach72202

gizmoaxolotl said:
Thank you so much! (I’m new to keeping turtles, I’ve only ever kept red ears YEARS ago.) I’m actually having a close friend pick the turtle up for me so I can’t take a good look at her until she’s actually in my home which is fine. I will make sure to ask more about her current setup though! I’m pretty sure she was in a 20 gallon long with sponge filtration but that’s all I know ATM. I bought a UVA & UVB light, have a ramp set up for her in my 55 gallon tank, is there anything else you recommend? (The tank is cycled, heated, & is running 3 large sponge filters along with a HOB filter.) What brand of food do you feed your baby musk turtles? I also want to purchase a second ramp for her because the ramp I have is a little small IMO, do you know where I can find any for a decent price? If not, I’m just going to DIY a basking spot for her with egg crate plastic.
This may sound odd, but musk turtles aren't the best swimmers. Yes they can swim good, but in comparison to something like a red eared slider, they are kinda bad. They are a turtle that likes to walk instead of swim, so a 55, may not be ideal. I would say a 40b would be better as it has more swimming/walking room as they don't really go vertical like a fish would, and fill the tank to a point where they can stand up against a wall and their nose reach the surface so they can breathe anytime. A 55 will be just fine for him, not saying you gotta switch, but it would be easier to clean and you don't really need such a high tank, plus it makes interacting with him harder. Also, I wouldn't use 3 sponge filters, at that point it is a bit redundant for one turtle, just my opinion, unless they are coarse sponge filters they are more for biological filtration, not mechanical. I would just make sure the HOB filter is on one side and the intake comes close to the bottom to suck up feces, and on the other side I would put an in tank filter close to the bottom as well. This way you establish a flow pattern, but it isn't like a riptide for the little guy.

Currently for food I feed an Omega One baby turtle pellet, as it was better than the junk I fed before, but I am not very familiar with reptile care as these are my first turtles. I would say the same rules apply, good ingredients=better food. Look for something with like salmon in it, or other good sounding things. Fish meal means its cheap and not the best. You can feed floating or sinking pellets from my experience, either work, just try not to overfeed.

As for a basking spot, since my turtles are still small, I use a rock they climb out onto, which in your case that wouldn't really work. I would avoid the plastic. If the basking spot gets too hot it may cause issues, plus heating up plastic (plastic that isn't for aquariums) can release toxins. I have seen a video where someone (Cory From Aquarium Co-op) for his musk turtles he wedged cork bark in the tank walls to create a more natural ramp, and since it is wedged it won't float, and this lead up to his breeding box, but you could do something similar and lead up to a sand bar for her to bask.

They don't really bask that much. It depends on the turtle from what I have seen. Some will like to sit in the heat (especially if they are sick) and others pretty much never use it.

Any more questions, I will gladly help if I can!

BigBeardDaHuZi

Zach72202 said:
This may sound odd, but musk turtles aren't the best swimmers. Yes they can swim good, but in comparison to something like a red eared slider, they are kinda bad. They are a turtle that likes to walk instead of swim, so a 55, may not be ideal. I would say a 40b would be better as it has more swimming/walking room as they don't really go vertical like a fish would, and fill the tank to a point where they can stand up against a wall and their nose reach the surface so they can breathe anytime. A 55 will be just fine for him, not saying you gotta switch, but it would be easier to clean and you don't really need such a high tank, plus it makes interacting with him harder. Also, I wouldn't use 3 sponge filters, at that point it is a bit redundant for one turtle, just my opinion, unless they are coarse sponge filters they are more for biological filtration, not mechanical. I would just make sure the HOB filter is on one side and the intake comes close to the bottom to suck up feces, and on the other side I would put an in tank filter close to the bottom as well. This way you establish a flow pattern, but it isn't like a riptide for the little guy.

Currently for food I feed an Omega One baby turtle pellet, as it was better than the junk I fed before, but I am not very familiar with reptile care as these are my first turtles. I would say the same rules apply, good ingredients=better food. Look for something with like salmon in it, or other good sounding things. Fish meal means its cheap and not the best. You can feed floating or sinking pellets from my experience, either work, just try not to overfeed.

As for a basking spot, since my turtles are still small, I use a rock they climb out onto, which in your case that wouldn't really work. I would avoid the plastic. If the basking spot gets too hot it may cause issues, plus heating up plastic (plastic that isn't for aquariums) can release toxins. I have seen a video where someone (Cory From Aquarium Co-op) for his musk turtles he wedged cork bark in the tank walls to create a more natural ramp, and since it is wedged it won't float, and this lead up to his breeding box, but you could do something similar and lead up to a sand bar for her to bask.

They don't really bask that much. It depends on the turtle from what I have seen. Some will like to sit in the heat (especially if they are sick) and others pretty much never use it.

Haha, I just watched that video last night. My girls really want a turtle. I've been looking at options

Zach72202

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
Haha, I just watched that video last night. My girls really want a turtle. I've been looking at options
Ha I was in a similar situation when I got mine! My girlfriend said you get all these fish so I want a turtle! (We got 2 of them) Needless to say I have 2 turtles I care for and feed and she comes in to look at them about every 3 days lol. I still enjoy them a lot though. Really glad I got them.

gizmoaxolotl

Zach72202 said:

Thanks for all your help! With all the filters spread out, the flow isn't crazy at all surprisingly. The HOB filter I have in there is actually only for a 20g tank, I used it to quickly cycle the 55 & I still need to switch over to a better filter, (that's why I have 3 sponge filters going, 25% water change every week or so.) I have a bunch of hornwort & wisteria in that tank so the flow is super slowed down by the plants. I have a 29g sitting in my basement that I could always use if this 55 gallon setup doesn't work, I could just switch everything over. I read that musk turtles don't bask much, they're usually in the water which is.. sorta a problem because both my UVB & UVA are light bulbs, I didn't buy a huge strip. I'll try to just put the UVB bulb where it hits every point of the tank, not sure how that will go, I will upgrade to a strip light if needed. I'll update you once I get her, thank you again. :)

Zach72202

gizmoaxolotl said:
I read that musk turtles don't bask much, they're usually in the water which is.. sorta a problem because both my UVB & UVA are light bulbs, I didn't buy a huge strip. I'll try to just put the UVB bulb where it hits every point of the tank, not sure how that will go, I will upgrade to a strip light if needed. I'll update you once I get her, thank you again. :)
I wouldn't put it so it hits the whole tank as that would be very wasteful. In comparison to the Sun, which is what you are trying to emulate, these bulbs are very weak, so you want to have a focal point where even if the turtle doesn't bask, in the nearby surrounding areas they will still gather the UV rays. Some bulbs come on the box with a chart of how intense it is at what distance, but if not you can probably find some information about that online.

AJ34

I adopted a red cheeked mud from a shelter and it's kinda hard to tell sometimes... the health of a turtle that someone else has owned. I couldn't ask many questions as they only had some info from the previous owner!I think mine is pretty healthy, I hope so!

That turtle you are looking at it looks okay to me from what I can see. You can ask the owner more questions to hopefully find out more...

I do agree mud and musk don't like basking as much as sliders or painted which I have , also they seem less active especially during the day. They aren't very strong swimmers and can be more timid. Musk and muds can sometimes be hard to find ...seems like a decent offer. Let us know what you decide!

gizmoaxolotl

AJ34 said:
I adopted a red cheeked mud from a shelter and it's kinda hard to tell sometimes... the health of a turtle that someone else has owned. I couldn't ask many questions as they only had some info from the previous owner!I think mine is pretty healthy, I hope so!

That turtle you are looking at it looks okay to me from what I can see. You can ask the owner more questions to hopefully find out more...

I do agree mud and musk don't like basking as much as sliders or painted which I have , also they seem less active especially during the day. They aren't very strong swimmers and can be more timid. Musk and muds can sometimes be hard to find ...seems like a decent offer. Let us know what you decide!
I’ve got her! She’s very attentive & alert, isn’t scared of me at all. She LOVES climbing the wood that I put in her tank. BTW: She was in a box for a very long time (damp paper towels) so when I got home I put her in right away. Since these pictures were taken, the gravel has been taken out. I didn’t want her to eat it or anything. The owner gave me the food that she was feeding her & it’s some shrimp pellets made for fish. The first ingredient is shrimp meal. I haven’t seen her bask yet but her lights are set up if she wanted to do so. I’m gonna switch her over to a better quality pellet today & buy some little guppies or something. I don’t mind if a couple go missing... I think it’s gonna be a huge struggle for her to climb up to her basking area, the ramp isn’t very long at all. I’m gonna return it & try to find something else that would work a little bit better for her. Anyways yeah she’s doing good! Everything looks normal except the shell, still unsure about that.

Attachments

gizmoaxolotl

Oh forgot to mention this! The owner just had regular fish lights for her. No UVA, UVB or anything like that. Just a fish tank light :( Good filtration though.. she had a nice canister filter setup.

Zach72202

Looks good! As long as she has no deformities, you giving her the correct lighting should correct (or prevent any damage if any) anything wrong with her. Send a pic of the whole tank! Also I have seen them kept with fish, as stated that they aren't the best swimmers, any fish with them should do fine, but losses could be expected. I plan to use mine as cull-machines (seems a bit inhumane, but better than just flushing them - circle of life) once they get bigger, so I have a use for the fish that aren't in good health.

AJ34

gizmoaxolotl said:
Oh forgot to mention this! The owner just had regular fish lights for her. No UVA, UVB or anything like that. Just a fish tank light :( Good filtration though.. she had a nice canister filter setup.
I'm not sure if mine had UVA/UVB either but her shell looks okay considering as does yours. Maybe because they are mud and musk it didn't effect them as much since they don't bask as much ? People are just clueless with turtles sometimes , even the shelter seemed to lack knowledge of turtles but they seemed to want to learn from so that was good at least...I'm no expert but I know basics.

I'm kinda struggling with a basking area for mine! I only saw her get on basking dock once...I put in a piece of wood to see if she will go on that. Not sure what to expect as my painted basks way more so I don't know what normal is for a mud turtle.

AJ34

have you thought about her laying eggs eventually? I have not had a female before...I need to research more because I think they can become egg bound and get ill? My other turtle is a very young male so I have no experience with this...

gizmoaxolotl

AJ34 said:
have you thought about her laying eggs eventually? I have not had a female before...I need to research more because I think they can become egg bound and get ill? My other turtle is a very young male so I have no experience with this...
I remember when I had my red sliders that they were both female, I never put a box or anything in the tank & they laid eggs on their own. I’m not sure if it’s different with musk turtles but I never had any issues with them becoming egg bound, I’ll have to look into it more

gizmoaxolotl

AJ34 said:
I'm not sure if mine had UVA/UVB either but her shell looks okay considering as does yours. Maybe because they are mud and musk it didn't effect them as much since they don't bask as much ? People are just clueless with turtles sometimes , even the shelter seemed to lack knowledge of turtles but they seemed to want to learn from so that was good at least...I'm no expert but I know basics.

I'm kinda struggling with a basking area for mine! I only saw her get on basking dock once...I put in a piece of wood to see if she will go on that. Not sure what to expect as my painted basks way more so I don't know what normal is for a mud turtle.
Yeah, I still can’t find any good basking docks. I’m going to my hardware store today and getting those egg crate lighting things. It seems super easy to make a basking area out of it, all you need is the egg crate, suction cups, & zip ties. I think I’m gonna add something turf like as well so she could be more comfortable, there’s tons of tutorials on YouTube on how to make easy basking areas with these materials! :) Here’s a screenshot from the channel “Snake Discovery”

Attachments

gizmoaxolotl

Zach72202 said:
Looks good! As long as she has no deformities, you giving her the correct lighting should correct (or prevent any damage if any) anything wrong with her. Send a pic of the whole tank! Also I have seen them kept with fish, as stated that they aren't the best swimmers, any fish with them should do fine, but losses could be expected. I plan to use mine as cull-machines (seems a bit inhumane, but better than just flushing them - circle of life) once they get bigger, so I have a use for the fish that aren't in good health.
Cull-machines omg!! I’ve never heard that one before haha. Yeah I guess it’s better than flushing them. I’ll send a picture of the whole tank when I get back home. :)

gizmoaxolotl

Zach72202 said:
Okay! I ended up switching her over to my 29 gallon. It was being unused and I think she’ll appreciate it more. Less swimming to get to the top for air & easier to clean IMO. I have a filter on the way & I still want to get large rocks for the tank to make a cave for her, she keeps trying to wedge herself underneath the driftwood so maybe she’ll like a cave. A lot of changes will be made to the looks of the tank but for now I’m happy with it. I also found a basking spot on sale so I bought it for her. Though whenever I place her on it though she keeps jumping off lol, I’ll let her figure it out on her own. :joyful:

EDIT: Please excuse the algae!! I can’t find my algae scrubber & it’s hard to get off since it’s been sitting there for so long

Attachments

Zach72202

Looks like a good start! I wouldn't hold your breath on any type of scape. Your turtle will rearrange it to her liking lol.

Also, you may want a screen lid. It looks like your bulbs are on top of a glass lid, and I believe that the light going through the glass can deflect/hinder the UV rays from getting to the turtle. Also they are very close to the dock from what I see. I would say at least 6" away from it because they create heat, and as a cold blooded animal that doesn't have a internal heat system, if they get too hot you may accidentally burn or cook their shell before they realize! Another reason for a screen lid is that if the bulb breaks it will catch any broken glass before it falls in the tank! I may be wrong about the bulbs and distance, but if you didn't, double check the box for a chart on the index readings of the strength per distance rating. Also also, you could get a laser thermometer to test the temp of the basking area. You want it to be mid 80s to low 90s, at least from what I have read. Looks like your turtle is in good hands and goodluck!

gizmoaxolotl

Zach72202 said:
Looks like a good start! I wouldn't hold your breath on any type of scape. Your turtle will rearrange it to her liking lol.

Also, you may want a screen lid. It looks like your bulbs are on top of a glass lid, and I believe that the light going through the glass can deflect/hinder the UV rays from getting to the turtle. Also they are very close to the dock from what I see. I would say at least 6" away from it because they create heat, and as a cold blooded animal that doesn't have a internal heat system, if they get too hot you may accidentally burn or cook their shell before they realize! Another reason for a screen lid is that if the bulb breaks it will catch any broken glass before it falls in the tank! I may be wrong about the bulbs and distance, but if you didn't, double check the box for a chart on the index readings of the strength per distance rating. Also also, you could get a laser thermometer to test the temp of the basking area. You want it to be mid 80s to low 90s, at least from what I have read. Looks like your turtle is in good hands and goodluck!
Thank you! I forgot to mention this bit but yes I’m getting a screen lid very soon! My 55 gallon that she was originally in had one & I don’t have one that fits a 29g at this very moment. I have a digital thermometer in the basking area and the highest I’ve seen it read is 92 degrees. Thank you so much for the constructive criticism though, I’m trying to give her the best life that I can possibly give her. :)

AJ34

I like the exoterra hinged screens so you can open just one side! Much easier for access! On my painted turtles 29g I have one side folder over for turtle topper basking ,works well!

gizmoaxolotl

AJ34 said:
I like the exoterra hinged screens so you can open just one side! Much easier for access! On my painted turtles 29g I have one side folder over for turtle topper basking ,works well!
This is what I’ve done FOR NOW lol, the “open” side is covered with plastic wrap & taped down :bored: Some DIY action going on:joyful:

Attachments

AJ34

gizmoaxolotl said:
This is what I’ve done FOR NOW lol, the “open” side is covered with plastic wrap & taped down :bored: Some DIY action going on:joyful:
diy ! gotta do what ya gotta do! :) I' m a little nervous about this whole egg laying situation since this is my first female. I don’t know when it will start and how to prepare ! I'm really hoping she would just lay them in the water. I want to get a bigger set up, she is only in a 20 g now which is not ideal long term. I have yet to see this turtle bask once...wondering should I be concerned! Is your musk basking?

gizmoaxolotl

AJ34 said:
diy ! gotta do what ya gotta do! :) I' m a little nervous about this whole egg laying situation since this is my first female. I don’t know when it will start and how to prepare ! I'm really hoping she would just lay them in the water. I want to get a bigger set up, she is only in a 20 g now which is not ideal long term. I have yet to see this turtle bask once...wondering should I be concerned! Is your musk basking?
I’m not too worried on the egg laying situation, I’m hoping she’ll just lay them in the water as well. Mud & musk turtles don’t seem to be very big fans of basking... at all, so I wouldn’t be concerned. She might be basking & you’re just missing it, who knows. I haven’t seen my musk bask yet either so I don’t think there’s anything to be worried about! I’ve placed her on her basking spot & she immediately leaves haha, I’m sure your turtle is just fine though. :) You should share a picture of her if you don’t mind! BTW, I still have to do more research the whole egg laying thing, I’ll share any useful information that I find.

AJ34

This is her... her name is puppy she is pretty heavy I’m using a medium zoomed dock for now which is the only thing I can fit in a 20 that will hold her weight. I’ve been picking her up more when I clean/arrange her tank and she seems to be more timid then I though initially ...she must be used to me now. I’ve only changed her dock 100 times. Same if I put her on the dock she hops off .This photo is the one they had at the shelter. I will have to get a photo of her in her setup. I do want to go bigger since she’s pretty large and she makes quite a lot of waste! She’s really sorta lazy though compared to my painted lol. I think red cheek muds are nocturnal so maybe I’m missing her action at night! I was considering setting up a spare tank for a dry tank for basking/egg laying but I’ve got to think about it some more . Don’t know where I’d keep it! I have way too many tanks!

Attachments

gizmoaxolotl

AJ34 said:
This is her... her name is puppy she is pretty heavy I’m using a medium zoomed dock for now which is the only thing I can fit in a 20 that will hold her weight. I’ve been picking her up more when I clean/arrange her tank and she seems to be more timid then I though initially ...she must be used to me now. I’ve only changed her dock 100 times. Same if I put her on the dock she hops off .This photo is the one they had at the shelter. I will have to get a photo of her in her setup. I do want to go bigger since she’s pretty large and she makes quite a lot of waste! She’s really sorta lazy though compared to my painted lol. I think red cheek muds are nocturnal so maybe I’m missing her action at night! I was considering setting up a spare tank for a dry tank for basking/egg laying but I’ve got to think about it some more . Don’t know where I’d keep it! I have way too many tanks!
She’s adorable! Yeah, they’re way more active at night. The dry tank is such a smart idea! I use a small ZooMed dock and it works perfect for my little girl, supports her weight just fine & she has plenty of space, she just doesn’t use it lol. I bought my musk a cave today because she’s always trying to hide under her driftwood, I’m pretty happy with how the tank is now, I still might get some rocks for her to climb but I’m not sure. I never realized how much of a turtle person I am until now :D they have the cutest little faces

Attachments

AJ34

gizmoaxolotl said:
She’s adorable! Yeah, they’re way more active at night. The dry tank is such a smart idea! I use a small ZooMed dock and it works perfect for my little girl, supports her weight just fine & she has plenty of space, she just doesn’t use it lol. I bought my musk a cave today because she’s always trying to hide under her driftwood, I’m pretty happy with how the tank is now, I still might get some rocks for her to climb but I’m not sure. I never realized how much of a turtle person I am until now :D they have the cutest little faces
Thanks your turtle is really cute too! I started a bunch of aquariums when my husband was like no more furry friends. SO I went to scales lol...anyhow I was thinking about getting a turtle but didn't know which kind. I could only ever find sliders in the pet stores. One day after a brutal spring almost summer snow storm, we were walking in our subdivision and I find a baby painted turtle not much bigger than like a half dollar coin nearly frozen to the sidewalk. I had mixed feelings. Had the weather not been so freakish I probably would have just tried to move him back to the water but I brought him home and decided if he would eat for me I would keep him. He came around pretty quick. I have had him for about a year and a half now. Recently, I wanted another turtle but they are hard to find here. I was going to get a Musk like yours but I was still researching. I kept browsing craigslist and shelter sites but people were most rehoming big turtles and space is an issue for me. Then I found this little mud turtle and I consider that lucky because you don't see them often here and at a shelter no less for only a $20.00 fee haha but I did have to fill out a background check and paperwork :)

For the dry tank I am going to use a 15 gallon I have laying around I don't know if it will still hold water so this is the perfect project. I'm thinking a dry place for them to go when I clean the tanks, my painted is outgrowing his little dish I put him in and the mud won't fit in anything small. I wonder though what I should use for substrate?

gizmoaxolotl

AJ34 said:
Thanks your turtle is really cute too! I started a bunch of aquariums when my husband was like no more furry friends. SO I went to scales lol...anyhow I was thinking about getting a turtle but didn't know which kind. I could only ever find sliders in the pet stores. One day after a brutal spring almost summer snow storm, we were walking in our subdivision and I find a baby painted turtle not much bigger than like a half dollar coin nearly frozen to the sidewalk. I had mixed feelings. Had the weather not been so freakish I probably would have just tried to move him back to the water but I brought him home and decided if he would eat for me I would keep him. He came around pretty quick. I have had him for about a year and a half now. Recently, I wanted another turtle but they are hard to find here. I was going to get a Musk like yours but I was still researching. I kept browsing craigslist and shelter sites but people were most rehoming big turtles and space is an issue for me. Then I found this little mud turtle and I consider that lucky because you don't see them often here and at a shelter no less for only a $20.00 fee haha but I did have to fill out a background check and paperwork :)

For the dry tank I am going to use a 15 gallon I have laying around I don't know if it will still hold water so this is the perfect project. I'm thinking a dry place for them to go when I clean the tanks, my painted is outgrowing his little dish I put him in and the mud won't fit in anything small. I wonder though what I should use for substrate?
You could probably try a dirt-like substrate just make sure it’s safe for turtles! :) though that might dirty the water if it gets all over your turtle

Top Bottom