mushrooms?

1. waggers Initiate Member

purchashed my first piece of live rock today,it has three purple mushrooms growing on it ,question is do i need to feed them ?forgot to ask lfs so any help would be very welcome.???

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of lighting do you have on your tank? Mushrooms are generally easy corals to keep, but they need decent lighting as they have a symbiotic relationship with the photosynthetic algae zooxanthellae. They also feed out of the water column.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fl, waggers

4. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

Although symbiotic algae called zooxanthellae hosted within its body supply some of its nutritional requirements through photosynthesis it does require supplemental feeding. Supplementing its diet with the addition of trace elements, marine snow, phytoplankton, brine shrimp, and food for filter feeders will help to insure its good health

5. waggers Initiate Member

i have 1 24w t5 ho .the tank is 24 /15 /12.

6. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

put them higher up in the tank somewhere around the middle and they will be ok .

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

+1
    For what it's worth, I don't supplement feed mushrooms at all, but they grow and spread like crazy for me. Then again, I run 6 T5s over a 50 gallon so they get plenty of light.

8. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

You do supplement feed every time you do a water change with the trace elements

9. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, but this is what I meant. ;)

10. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

iodine is one ot the elements mushrooms thrieve on and this is replenished with water changes also calcium, so suplemental feeding is done by water changes ;D

11. waggers Initiate Member

thanks a lot you have been very helpful .:;hf