mushroom dead? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Corals' started by fishaddiction, Dec 27, 2012.

1. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I bought 1 mushroom it is just a normal very small blueish greenish color (normal meaning very common/cheap) I tried gluing the little rock on the bottom to a rock in my tank without the glue touching the mushroom. Well after doing it twice (it looks awful in my tank white rock on gray rock) I got it to stick but a couple hours later its just curled up my other mushroom (color red also normal) is doing fine it is opening up though the red is farther and more protected from the water pump I still think the green/blue should look better I know I should just wait and see but it looks awful like its dieing. I wish I could get a picture but from my views they suck hope you guys can work with my info. Oh ya my ammonia .50, nitrites .2, salinity is 1.027 from my hydrometer.

2. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Now my other mushroom is starting to do it is there any way to put something over the water dispenser (the thing that releases the water from the filter) the biocube is a 29 gallon coral life if you are wondering what the "water dispenser" is.

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Ammonia and nitrite are the problem - corals of any sort do not tolerate ammonia, nitrite or nitrate (nitrate needs to be less than 2ppm for best success). Likely phosphates are also playing a part.
    Lighting may also be affecting them. Mushrooms are lower light corals, and may shrink while the adjust to the new lighting.

Being in a cycling aquarium is probably not helping either, parameters will be swinging all over the place. Is this the same tank you thought was 1.032 SG? (note: specific gravity is measured as 1.0xx, salinity is measured in ppt) If so, how did you bring the SG down, and how quickly? Did you cross reference your hydrometer readings per my suggestion in this thread: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/water-parameters/134812-salinity-life-death.html ?

To be honest, the best thing to do would be to take the corals back to your LFS and let them recover in a stable environment. Then when your tank is ready, get the corals back.

"Nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank" - you need a lot of patience.

4. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

It turns out that the sand was playing apart in the salinity so I tested my lfs water and it was at 1.027 I bought an ocellaris clownfish to help keep the tank cycling. On different subject would a 1 in. clownfish (black) like a 1 in. orange clownfish and in a little bit towards the future would they share and anemone (bubble tipped)?

Also do all clownfish swim nonstop just like their exhausted because just likes swimming no looking in the rocks I setup nothing just swimming.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
  5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Ok, so the hydrometer has been validated :;hf

Not sure about mixing clowns, generally it can result in disaster. I do not recommend mixing clown species, and doubt that they'd share an anemone. I would think that whoever gets there first will defend it as their home/territory.

Clowns (well mine at least) don't really swim amongst the rock work, they stay more in the open areas. That said, now that mine are being hosted, they rarely swim too far from the 'nem, except maybe at feeding time.

The 'exhausted' appearance may also be a result of the cycling aquarium. Ammonia/nitrite poisoning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice