Murray River Rainbowfish Tank Size

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by slowdown, May 15, 2019.

1. slowdown

slowdownValued MemberMember

I have a cycled 20 gallon long tank with some emerald Cories and a school of black neon tetras. I went to my local Petco (we only have that and PetSmart) to see what else I could add and they sold me 2 Murray River Rainbowfish. I made a big mistake in believing the salesperson and not researching on my own to see if they'd be happy in this sized tank - and from what I'm reading, they won't, nor is 2 enough.

They're juveniles now but once they reach 3-4" I assume they will need more space, and that I should be looking at 6 of them, not 2. What is the minimum tank size that would work? I currently have two 20G tanks (one long, one high) and would be looking to replace one of them with something larger - but I have space constraints and old floors, so am concerned about both size and weight if the tank gets too big.

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

A 55 gal. Will do fine for a school of just about any type Rainbowfish but a 4 ft. 75 gal. Would be better. Rainbow keeping can be addictive. Best to buy a bigger tank.

3. OP
    OP
    slowdown

That's what I suspected; I have no idea why the store would think 20 gallon was remotely okay (and still kicking myself for not doing research).

Is a 55 (or larger) long better than tall? And are there special requirements for stands for a tank of that size? The most logical place to put one would be where my 20 tall is now; it's on a low wood bookshelf that is solid wood (photo below; sorry, messy...); the top of that bookshelf is 39" long and 15" deep (which is too short for a 48" 70 gallon, but would a 55 fit?). Is it a safe assumption that a solid shelf could hold that sized tank? 4vY4RnWwRdaONdVo20fBxw.jpg

4. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

I think a standard 55 gallon tank is L=36" x W=15". The stand will have to be strong enough to hold between 500 lbs & 600 lbs. Petsmart sells 55 gal. & 75 gal. Aquarium packages that
    include stands & lights. They go on sale several times a year. You have plenty of time to build your school before they outgrow the tank. You will be able to do an instant cycle on the new tank using the filter media from the old tank.

5. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

a standard 55 is 48" long by 12-13" front to back and about 21" high

6. OP
    OP
    slowdown

Ok, so if I figure out where I can fit a 48" piece of furniture to put a large aquarium on, what else would I need to know about having a large tank vs the smaller 20 gallon ones? I'm assuming the longer 48" tanks are better than the ones I see online which are less wide but taller, since the goal is for the fish to be able to swim back and forth?

7. OP
    OP
    slowdown

Also, how much does tank brand matter? The ones I have now are Aqueon. I've seen Top Fin, Tetra, others... Glass vs acrylic... Mostly would be concerned about both weight and not leaking.

8. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Go with Aqueon or Marineland, avoid Top Fin. All their stuff is cheap