Murky Water

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My brother has a 20 gallon axolotl tank, and for some reason, the water is always murky. We've tested the water and everything's fine, and our other 2 tanks do not have this issue. It stays murky even after water changes. I suspect that the black sand substrate might have something to do with it since that's the only thing different about it compared to the other tanks. How do I clear up the water?

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's always been murky looking, we've always had black sand in there, and we do have a HOB filter. The murkiness doesn't really have much of a color to it.

Duardo

Valued Member
Reaction score
BlackOsprey said:
It's always been murky looking, we've always had black sand in there, and we do have a HOB filter. The murkiness doesn't really have much of a color to it.
well axols are kinda dirty, so think of getting a sponge filter as well to help. I have had a similar issue but doing water changes every other day and turning on my hob and sponge filter helped clear it up a bit.
Do you use tap water by any chance?

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I know axies poop a lot, but this little guy is maybe 2 inches long tops in a 20 gallon all to himself. I think it's probably the sand- there just might be some fine particles floating around in the water, so I'm going to try sticking a polishing sponge in the HOB.

We do use tap water. It's never caused cloudiness in any other of our tanks, although the evaporation's leaving a crust of calcium on the tank hood.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom