Murky Water

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My brother has a 20 gallon axolotl tank, and for some reason, the water is always murky. We've tested the water and everything's fine, and our other 2 tanks do not have this issue. It stays murky even after water changes. I suspect that the black sand substrate might have something to do with it since that's the only thing different about it compared to the other tanks. How do I clear up the water?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have pictures of the murky water? White? Brown? Green?

Duardo

Valued Member
Reaction score
how long has it been murky? Since you added the sand or always? And do you have any filtration

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's always been murky looking, we've always had black sand in there, and we do have a HOB filter. The murkiness doesn't really have much of a color to it.

Duardo

Valued Member
Reaction score
BlackOsprey said:
It's always been murky looking, we've always had black sand in there, and we do have a HOB filter. The murkiness doesn't really have much of a color to it.
well axols are kinda dirty, so think of getting a sponge filter as well to help. I have had a similar issue but doing water changes every other day and turning on my hob and sponge filter helped clear it up a bit.
Do you use tap water by any chance?

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I know axies poop a lot, but this little guy is maybe 2 inches long tops in a 20 gallon all to himself. I think it's probably the sand- there just might be some fine particles floating around in the water, so I'm going to try sticking a polishing sponge in the HOB.

We do use tap water. It's never caused cloudiness in any other of our tanks, although the evaporation's leaving a crust of calcium on the tank hood.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom